We have started rolling out 2.5 — TomTom Community

We have started rolling out 2.5

JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,034
Community Manager
  • New Family Sharing Plan
  • Search Panel now includes POI categories
  • Siri Shortcuts now available for favourites and contacts
  • Bug fixes and improvements

A fix to the issue with receiving the Traffic feed could not yet make it into this build and can hopefully be released with 2.6.

Comments

• bruceybrucey Posts: 176 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Keep the improvements coming TomTom particularly with CarPlay and some form of traffic bar implementation. .
  • SllimSllim Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi, I have TomTom go on my iPhone and noticed that I can upgrade my subscription to family sharing. What happens to mine and other family members subscription if I upgrade as I have until May, and someone else has until October left on their subscription
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,034
    Community Manager
    Sllim wrote: »
    Hi, I have TomTom go on my iPhone and noticed that I can upgrade my subscription to family sharing. What happens to mine and other family members subscription if I upgrade as I have until May, and someone else has until October left on their subscription
    You should be charged the annual fee minus the remainder of your original subscription.

• Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited March 13
    brucey wrote: »
    Keep the improvements coming TomTom particularly with CarPlay and some form of traffic bar implementation. .

Agreed though I think Apple (vs TomTom) doesn’t allow any type of route bar for CarPlay. Please add an in app microphone search for CarPlay (assuming this wasn’t just added- haven’t tried it yet).
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 377 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited March 13
    Hi @Jürgen,

Many thanks for the update, I saw it in my iOS App Store update.

The Search Panel including POI categories is a welcome improvement and is a nod back to previous generations of TomTom devices.

Would you please ask the developers to add to the ability to add Custom POI categories via both .ov2 files and .csv (UTF-8) files? The Custom POI categories could be loaded directly via iTunes/iMazing/etc to the Apps' Documents/poi folder and/or by using MyDrive. Can we also use custom icons as well for the Custom POI categories list?

Custom POIs and their categories have been missing for too long on TomTom devices. Custom POIs cover the areas that general users may not need but which are vitally important to a lot of specific users. These categories could include (but are not limited to users' 'Friends & Family', 'Businesses', 'Vacation Places' etc.

in addition, can all POIs (standard and custom) include telephone numbers where applicable? This feature was available in the legacy TomTom app and was really useful that you could find a location's POI and call it directly from your iPhone.
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 176 [Supreme Trailblazer]

Agreed though I think Apple (vs TomTom) doesn’t allow any type of route bar for CarPlay. Please add an in app microphone search for CarPlay (assuming this wasn’t just added- haven’t tried it yet).

That’s a fair point but some kind of pop up indication in main 3D window of what total delays are and then the ability to recalculate would be good. You could then check alternative by switching to 2D.

Don’t like the way the alternative route is presented currently and the way you drive to take it.

App had improved loads though and unless I was going to major city I don’t know (where I can check upcoming instructions) I use this more than my 6200.

Cameras are a lot better than what they used to be particularly mobiles and I use this now rather than PGPSW app which is too buggy and not CarPlay compatible.
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    How do I get this update?

I have version 2.4.1 but the Apple App Store doesn't show any new version.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 377 [Supreme Pioneer]
    nigelbbb wrote: »

Just keep looking in the Apple App store on a regular basis. Version 2.5 will appear as an update in the next couple of days.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,034
    Community Manager

This is a phased rollout and it will increase to 100% over the period of one week.

• smudger64smudger64 Posts: 67 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    STILL no MyRoutes then?
  • gallafentgallafent Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That’s a fair point but some kind of pop up indication in main 3D window of what total delays are and then the ability to recalculate would be good.

Exactly. This is how it used to work before v2.4 (at least on the iPhone's screen, I'm not sure that this has ever been visible in CarPlay)! — and you could just set it so that “when a faster route is found” it will “always take fastest route”, which unloads decision making from the driver, and ensures that the optimal route is always taken. The new way, with that feature removed, and a load of complexity and decision-making loaded onto the driver, is a staggering backward step in user experience.
    You could then check alternative by switching to 2D.

Don’t like the way the alternative route is presented currently and the way you drive to take it.

If I understand you correctly, this is indeed this regression from versions before 2.4 — in the “good old days” there was a setting to “always take faster route”, which avoids the craziness of having to ignore the instructions and instead follow the “green route” contrary to what the instructions (and the standard “blue route”) have told you. Unfortunately, this has been removed, when the “steer to choose route” “feature” was added.

I'm really hoping that this huge regression will be corrected in a future version, and soon, with the restoration of the availability of the “always take the faster route” setting.

I've been in conversation with support about this, and the development team is aware, but of course I have no visibility on when this regression might get reverted.

There's more discussion (mostly me but also some observations from others) on this in the 2.4 release thread at https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1130321/new-version-2-4-available-for-go-navigation-app-ios#latest … I am really hoping that this feature-removal can be reverted for 2.6. Drove a reasonable distance for the first time in months the other day, and had to take the green line (some heavy traffic) and the higher cognitive load it places on me rather than just being able to “follow the cool blue line and the instructions from the soothing voice” is remarkable and very concerning.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 32 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited March 15
    Yeah that rerouting by steering is at least for me counterintuitive and I’ve missed suggestions and lost time because of it. If the app would give me the choice in settings of automatically rerouting to a faster route or keeping the steer to reroute that would be fantastic!
  • Foxmulder2Foxmulder2 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I don't unterstand to use Siri with TomTom. Thanks
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,600
    Superuser
    edited March 17
    Hi @Foxmulder2

If you set things up it works very well.

For example try the following if you have My Places saved on your GO Navigation App and Siri working on your phone .

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Siri Shortcuts.
    Tap Add
    Tap Drive to a Favourite Place
    Tap the My Place you want to use
    You now get an Add to Siri Screen which says Drive to (name of My Place) followed by Do and then Add to Siri
    Tap Add to Siri.

Now try the following

Open The GO Navigation App on the Phone

Say Hey Siri
    When Siri swirl appears bottom middle of the screen say Drive to (Name of My Place)

The GO Nav will now create a route and be ready for you to drive off.

You can add My Places , Home, Work, Recent Destinations , Contacts in the same way .

Whilst the following will work just with the phone I can use it with CarPlay and I can start CarPlay in my Car by saying
    Hey Siri, Open Tomtom GO
    When the App is open I can then say
    Hey Siri Drive to (Name of My Place or Contact or Recent destination et.

Is that what you are looking for.

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 232 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi @DougLap

I had not spotted the roll out of Siri shortcuts until I read your post and immediately set up a few shortcuts, but was very puzzled as although I set them up within the Tomtom Go Navigation App, when I said Hey Siri, Drive to “My Places” it fired up Apple Maps and then plotted the destination…………….? :'(

And although it had saved the shortcut it was not showing in the Tomtom Go Navigation Siri Shortcut App menus.

I checked the Siri shortcut operation in Waze and that too fired up Apple maps………..??

Googling the issue it appeared that I may need the “Apple Shortcuts App” which was not installed on my phone, once this was done the Shortcut App had all my shortcuts listed and going back to Tomtom the shortcuts also appeared and now when I say Drive to “My Places” it now correctly navigates through Tomtom.

Not sure why my IPhone did not have the Apple Shortcuts app installed, my wife’s IPhone has it installed already. ;)

But this is a very welcome improvement to the TT Go Navigation App, if Tomtom could only add on Custom POI’s integration and few other goodies then I could be convinced to use the App as my Daily Navigation Device……………. =)
  • smudger64smudger64 Posts: 67 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Foxmulder2

If you set things up it works very well.

For example try the following if you have My Places saved on your GO Navigation App and Siri working on your phone .

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Siri Shortcuts.
    Tap Add
    Tap Drive to a Favourite Place
    Tap the My Place you want to use
    You now get an Add to Siri Screen which says Drive to (name of My Place) followed by Do and then Add to Siri
    Tap Add to Siri.

Now try the following

Open The GO Navigation App on the Phone

Say Hey Siri
    When Siri swirl appears bottom middle of the screen say Drive to (Name of My Place)

The GO Nav will now create a route and be ready for you to drive off.

You can add My Places , Home, Work, Recent Destinations , Contacts in the same way .

Whilst the following will work just with the phone I can use it with CarPlay and I can start CarPlay in my Car by saying
    Hey Siri, Open Tomtom GO
    When the App is open I can then say
    Hey Siri Drive to (Name of My Place or Contact or Recent destination et.

Is that what you are looking for.

Doug

You can also set up an automation that will run whenever you connect your phone to Carplay, that could be the tomtom app. You could also go further and create an automation that took into account the time of day and/or location and have the app appear and your route home from work, for example, would be mapped. Ok I know most people know the way home, but where i work there two main routes back into town and the traffic can be free on one, at a standstill on the other and that changes daily

smudger64 wrote: »

You can also set up an automation that will run whenever you connect your phone to Carplay, that could be the tomtom app. You could also go further and create an automation that took into account the time of day and/or location and have the app appear and your route home from work, for example, would be mapped. Ok I know most people know the way home, but where i work there two main routes back into town and the traffic can be free on one, at a standstill on the other and that changes daily

Of course such a convoluted workaround wouldn't be necessary if “always take fastest route” hadn't been removed.😀
  • Dave23572Dave23572 Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited March 18
    The main issue TomTom need to resolve right now is the overheating problem.
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    @Dave23572 YES! The overheating is also my main issue. It is awfully quit on TomTom's front......
    The new version finally appeared in the App Store for me.

The Siri shortcuts are a genuinely useful addition to functionality.
    The new version finally appeared in the App Store for me.

The Siri shortcuts are a genuinely useful addition to functionality.

I just realised that having Siri shortcuts really highlights how idiotic it is to have to press the "Let's Go" pop-up so that the route & directions commence. It always was an extra redundant operation when entering a route on the screen but now it means that I can use TomTom hands free but then have to press the screen to start for no reason at all. Why can't we have a Siri shortcut for "Let's Go"?
    Superuser
    Hi @nigelbbb

You should not need that.

If I do not have the Go Nav App open on my phone and I say Hey Siri Drive to work it opens the App and displays the whole route with Let’s Go. However once I start driving it switches to the Let’s Go Screen giving me directions.

Doug
    Hi @nigelbbb

You should not need that.

If I do not have the Go Nav App open on my phone and I say Hey Siri Drive to work it opens the App and displays the whole route with Let’s Go. However once I start driving it switches to the Let’s Go Screen giving me directions.

Doug

The " Let’s Go" pop-up goes away when I start driving but it persists in displaying the whole route so I need to press the screen to get the local turn by turn map. I shouldn't need to touch the screen if I am using Siri to enter the destination.
    Superuser
    Hi @nigelbbb

Just tested it 3 times and in all cases within 100 yards it switches from the whole route screen with Let’s Go to the directions screen.

Doug
    Hi @nigelbbb

Just tested it 3 times and in all cases within 100 yards it switches from the whole route screen with Let’s Go to the directions screen.

Doug

I have tested 3 times too & even after I have driven a mile the whole route screen stays & I need to tap the screen to get the local turn by turn view.