tomtom Go 6200 Keeps resetting — TomTom Community

tomtom Go 6200 Keeps resetting

I did a huge update a few weeks back on this device and ever since then in use it's sluggish to keep up to date with the vehicle position (and never was sluggish) and every 5 minutes or so when in a journey the screen goes blank and then restarts the journey. Then about 20 minutes in it completely shuts down and starts again. It's in the same car as it's always been powered through a direct wire connection, battery power is always full so it's not a power issue. The unit is now useless to me. Any thoughts as it was working fine until the update and I'm reluctant to do a hard reset and lose everything.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,872
    Superuser
    Hi @m00bs

If you go to Menu/Settings/System/About what free space do you have on the internal memory.

Also try a Soft Reset. Turn the unit on then when ready press a Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll Sound then let button go. This restarts the unit and will tidy up the files on it.

Doug
  • m00bsm00bs Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @m00bs

If you go to Menu/Settings/System/About what free space do you have on the internal memory.

Also try a Soft Reset. Turn the unit on then when ready press a Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll Sound then let button go. This restarts the unit and will tidy up the files on it.

Doug

It's showing 4.55 GB free, which sounds plenty to me. I'll try the reset you suggested and try it again tonight. Will report back
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,872
    Superuser
    Hi @m00bs

Yes that is plenty as a lack of free space can result in the issue you describe if you have less than 400mb.

The soft reset I suggested is a good thing to do after any updates, all of which are best done one at a time.get on then we can advise you before you do the other options.

The next option would b a factory rest and the a recover you device but lets see how you

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,078
    Superusers
    Hi
    @m00bs
    Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually log out you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM