Is it possible to speed up the starting time of my START 60? — TomTom Community

Is it possible to speed up the starting time of my START 60?

Hi again.

This follows up from a previous thread comparing a Nav 3 with a 4.

The Nav4 - VE serial number - is apparently 8GB internal, tho' by the time it had UK and West Europe maps on it, it was showing only 25MB of space left.

I did the 'right thing' - bought a 16GB card, shoved it in, fired up MyDrive Connect, deleted W-E maps from Int and reinstalled it on the card; I now have Int Storage: 5890Mb free and SD card: 4980Mb free.

Yippeee!

Except it makes no difference at all - it still takes nearly a minute to load up, for that scrolling bar to travel along the screen base.

A Nav3 device - Start 60 with UK and ROI maps - fires up in a few seconds.

What the?

Is this 'normal' for a START 60 Nav4? Is there nothing I can do to speed it up? If not, that's ok, but if I can make it faster I'd like to.

Cheers.
Tagged:

Comments

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 545 [Revered Pioneer]
    map on internal memory should make it fast
    try factory reset
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,589
    Superuser
    edited March 9
    Hi @Noobie

Is the Extra memory cad class 10 or better.

Try a Soft Reset as that will tidy the files and is the right thing to do after any update etc,

One other option is to do a Recover your device which will reload the Operating Software onto the unit so will sort any issue with the Software.

The map being on the Card should not make any significant difference to performance.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,014
    Superusers
    edited March 9
    Hi
    @Noobie
    Welcome to the site....
    NAV4 Start 60... From Turned Off Mode....1 Minute 5.3 Seconds ready for use....
    NAV4 Start 60... Sleep Mode.... 4.3 Seconds ready for use... (Stopwatch)
    If you are using the device on a regular basis Sleep Mode is fine....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • NoobieNoobie Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks again folks - really brilliant.

Doug, I'll try a reset just for the 'tidy up' as you suggest. The map on the card - the W-E - is 'disabled' so only the UK one should actually be loading?

Since MyDrive seems to give lots of European options for available maps for this device, I might just fully remove everything except for the UK map which is all I require. The option will remain to add others at any time (or until 'lifetime' ends!)

Thanks YamFazMan. Ah, so a minute of loading is not unusual? :-(

I presume that if I put it to 'sleep', once the battery drains it'll go fully off - so back to 1-minute starts? I only use the SN occasionally, so i guess this'll be the norm.

I'm going to try what I said to Doug - wipe every map except UK/ROI - and then live with whatever dizzying speed this gives me.

Cheers :-)
    Ah well, that answers that...

It's as you say Yam. I deleted everything, removed the SD card, and reinstalled the UK map on to the int memory - the UK map is only around 500Mb, so plenty of space left.

It still takes over 40 seconds to load from 'off'! Essentially, there's no difference whether both UK and W-E maps are on the Int Mem, whether the W-E is on the SD card, whether one is disabled, or whether the tiny UK map alone is on the machine - it's 40+ seconds regardless.

Might as well replace the card and fill it up with the European maps - makes no difference... :-)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,014
    Superusers
    edited March 10
    Hi
    @Noobie
    Noobie wrote: »
    (Snip) A Nav3 device - Start 60 with UK and ROI maps - fires up in a few seconds (Snip)
    Re... The NAV3 device starting-up in a few Seconds... This is a false impression of the start-up speed of a NAV3 device....
    As far as I recall the NAV3 devices do not enter the fully OFF Mode....
    But there is a work-a-round to FULLY turn off a NAV3 device....

(A)..... The 10-Second turn off method "Press and HOLD the on/off button, when the shut-down logo appears count to 10 then release the on/off button"

(B)..... A more reliable method is... Have the device connected with a USB lead to your PC ... "Press and HOLD the on/off button, when the shut-down logo appears... Continue to HOLD the on/off button until you hear the USB Disconnect sound on your PC speakers then release the on/off button"

Start-up times for my FULLY Turned off NAV GO Live 825 device.... Turned off using one of the above methods....
    Start-up....
    Press and HOLD the on/off button Until you hear the Tomtom drumroll and the Start-up Image displayed...
    The Device is ready for use in 46 Seconds (i.e... Access to the menus on the device)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »

Re... The NAV3 device starting-up in a few Seconds... This is a false impression of the start-up speed of a NAV3 device....
    As far as I recall the NAV3 devices do not enter the fully OFF Mode....

Ah! That probably also explains why the Nav3 battery goes flat when it's not been plugged in for few days! (Other than it being a dud battery...)