Keeps restarting — TomTom Community

Keeps restarting

I have just purchased a Brand new Go Professional 6250 Truck device, The reason I purchased it was my old device 6200 started to turn off and reboot several times a day so after resetting it, factory restoring it the problem was still there so I thought hey ho I will buy a new one.

So I buy this supposedly top of the range £389.00 TomTom and the same problem.
I start it up and set a route, while driving it just goes to black screen and then comes back on as if it has just restarted, it will continue the route.
All this takes a matter of around 30-60 seconds, but it ca happen about 10 times or more in a 8 hour day.

I have tried drum roll reset.
I have tried reset from settings
I have done factory restore by pressing the on/off button 3 times after getting the white text on screen.

I rolled the software back and it made no difference so updated the software and made no difference.

So I now have 2 TomTom satnavs running off the same firmware and both are doing the exact thing.

There must be something wrong with tomtom servers, it can not be my devices, one was working fine until last week and the other is 2 days old and had this problem out of the box.

I want an agent to contact me regarding this or I will be opening a dispute on paypal for the payment of the Go Professional 6250 Truck device.

I can not believe there is no method of contacting customer service other than coming to the forum, live chat is a bot, try to select email and get shoved to this forum, no phone number help disgusting when you pay so much for a device that is faulty out of the box.

Answers

• MrTDMrTD Posts: 64 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I would like to add.
    The information provided by tomtom online and in the video on how to do a restore is incorrect for my device.
    You do not see a cog or rolling circle you actually see a black screen with a computer screen and a lead going towards a picture of a tomtom satnav, as if telling you to connect the lead so misinformed but had the sense to work it out.

I managed to chat with a Human via there live chat and the outcome was send the faulty item back for repair, I refused to send an item that cost £389 and has just been delivered back for repair and requested return for full refund.
    I was told I will receive a return label to return the item within 2 hours to my email. not happened no label nothing just a copy of the chat.
    The service from Tomtom is zero
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,561
    Superuser
    Hi @MrTD

If you have not got the documentation by Monday then advise back here and maybe @VikramK can help sort it out.

Doug
    @DougLap Sent them an email asking where it is so see what happens, customer service used to be very good when they had the phone lines but it is terrible now
  • carreramiacarreramia Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I came here to this discussion because I was getting nowhere in another thread after 2 days and countless requests to actually talk to a human....the webpage is totally screwed up, it bounces from the page that asks for my statement, always winding up in the discussion forum which has gotten me nowhere...I want to talk to an agent, my device is turning off over and over, flipping over from horizontal to vertical....it is totally unreliable!! And it’s only a couple of years old......can someone send me a link to [email protected]
    @carreramia sounds like you are having the same problem with the website as I was, every time I clicked contact I was pushed to the forum I could not get the email or the live chat.
    I got past this by opening a different browser on my laptop,I used firefox and used this link https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb
    The contact us at the bottom should allow you access to live chat when it is running and the email box can be found there when no live chat.

As for your device it sounds like you are having the same problem as me.
    I already had a 6200 and it just started getting a black screen and then it would start back up as if it had restarted.
    I thought it was simply due to the age and purchased a brand new Truck device direct from tomtom straight out of the box this new device did the same thing,
    I thought it may be the software update just released so rolled both devices back to the old software and they both still do the same thing.

Tomtom do not seam to understand there must be a problem on there side and blamed it on a faulty unit and asked me to send back for repair.

How can I have two devices one old that was working fine until last week and a brand new device out of the box on first use do the exact same fault ?

I could not find others who are reporting this same issue but unless you use your device all day you may not notice the problem.

I tried every fix.
    Drum roll restart = No change
    Reset from settings = No change
    Factory reset by following online instructions = no change
    And I know the factory reset worked as the old software was showing and the device said need to update software.
    Even with the old software it was no different.

So it could be the new map update that has just been rolled out or tomtom servers.

I also find each morning I have to restart my devie in order to get Mydrive to connect.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,561
    Superuser
    edited March 6
    Hi @MrTD @carreramia

Re customer support

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If the above does not work try another Web Browser.

There is no Phone line Customer Support with so many working from home.

Doug
    @DougLap
    Unfortunately what you are telling us to do has a problem it just reverts you to the forum.
    I tried all kinds and eventually had to open the site in a different browser to get it to work.
    I am aware the phone service no longer exists thanks.
    This is a big mistake from tomtom not to offer phone support.
    edited March 6
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gvwjCeEkTbA

Video showing the problem experiencing
    edited March 6
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=DpDXe3xOytI

Video showing the problem experiencing after software update
    @DougLap it is when you sign in the page then takes you to the forum.
    I had to open a browser I have not logged into tomtom with to bypass this error