Tomtom GO Professional 620 .when driving the screen will go dark — TomTom Community

Tomtom GO Professional 620 .when driving the screen will go dark

I brought this for my truck. I've charged it at home. When I use it at work it's plug into cigarette socket with 12v/ 5amp. I use the supplied lead and USB converter.
But...when I'm driving the screen will go dark ( as I drive along at night, the screen doesn't turn off as it a faint dark). After about 5 seconds it starts to run the map and route. But it keeps doing it. I've done both soft and hard reset. On other occasions it just shuts down and reboots by its self.
This is very annoying as I drive in built up areas and have to navigate frequently.
Can anyone help. Please

Answers

• VeeMan1967VeeMan1967 Posts: 7 [Novice Seeker]
    Sorry its a tomtom Pro 620
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,978
    Superusers
    edited February 28
    Hi
    @VeeMan1967
    Welcome to the site...
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)

The Power Adapter should be a tight sliding fit in the power socket...
    Some users have posted about their vehicles having none standard oversize car power sockets causing an intermittent power connection....

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports....
    'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I've done all of that. Even plugged it into 25v/15amp. Previous satnav worked OK in both sockets
    Green light on usb is permanently green. I've had it plugged in at home for 24hrs. Battery on tomtom is full. But it still does it
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,548
    Superuser
    Hi @VeeMan1967

I assume you have checked Menu/Settings/Appearance/Display that it has the Day and Night Brightness both set very low. Or if this only happening at night when it switches to Night Brightness the level level set very low.

Also when in that menu option deselect the Switch to night colours when dark option when the light is good to see if that sorts it then if you want that option reselect it during the day not when it is dark.

Doug
    I have checked all of those. It is used in daylight. The screen I fine one minute displaying directions. Then it goes blank. This wouldn't explain the tomtom shutting itself down and instantly restarting.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,978
    Superusers
    edited February 28
    Hi
    @VeeMan1967
    Is the USB lead plugged firmly into the Mount ???
    Are the contacts on the Mount that power the device....
    Bent/Distorted ???

I never disconnect the Tomtom USB lead from the mount, I loop the cable around the mounts' pillar using a simple knot to provide strain relief and when I'm not using the device I use a Velcro strap to stow the mount & cable in the glovebox

I use a 2nd USB Cable for updating....

eb6ee281-2840-4333-a850-80b2e7c3681c.jpg
    ATB YFM
    I have contacted Amazon. New one on its way. I will try again and make sure off everything. Tnx
    New one having same issues. I've been using satnavs for over 15years. Never had issues like this before. Think I'll get refund and try Garmin