GO5100 no remote connections — TomTom Community

GO5100 no remote connections

I have a GO5100. I will not link to the internet other than via USB cable. No wifi. No bluetooth. No SIM card. No GPRS What is going on? I though when I purchased I had lifetime maps/traffic/updates etc. Cannot send My Connect routes to it without connecting to my computer via USB. Not happy. At all.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,261
    Superuser
    edited February 28
    Hi @Chilla1142

The Go5100 is not a Wifi model like the Go5200 and later models so requires connection to a PC via USB and the MyDrive Connect Software.

It does not have Bluetooth as it relies on the inbuilt Mobile Sim for data transfer. If the Sim is not working this could be because it has not been used for 18 months plus and so has been discontinued by the provider and if so cannot be restored. I would do a Factory Reset ie Menu/Settings/System/Reset Device to see if that restores it. Before you do the Reset make sure all your Data is saved in the account by going to the MyDrive Website and logging into the account.

If after the Reset you are still not connecting to the Sats then try the following.

Charge the unit for 2 hours or do this whilst it is connected to a power source.
    Start the unit
    Go outside well away from buildings and trees etc and have a clear view of the sky all around.
    When ready Press and Hold the On/Off button for about 20 seconds until you hear the Drumroll sound then let button go.
    The unit will restart
    Now place the unit down and leave for about 30 minutes or until it connects to the Sats. Placing it on a metal car roof has the effect of helping in this situation but make sure you do not leave it unattended.
    Once it has connected it should continue to do so when you start it and it has been kept up to date.

One other possibility regarding the sim is that the contacts have become corroded. In the few occasions this has happened then at your own risk you can access the sim which is under the label on the bottom. You can very carefully clean the contacts on it and push it in and out a few times to clean the inner contacts and that has been known to restore its function.

Doug
  • Chilla1142Chilla1142 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your quick response Doug. To be honest I was not expecting any. The website is a mess. Very difficult to sometimes get what you are looking for. I will try what you have suggested although currently I have not been able to find a USB cable that my device seems to like in order to connect to my computer. It used to but no longer. Having been happy(ish) with my 3 prior Tomtom devices, I am beginning to think there must be something way better out there. Sorry Tomtom.
    Superuser
    Hi @Chilla1142

Are you trying to connect to a PC with MyDrive Connect software on it.

Doug
    Hey Doug. Yes, Win10 PC. I have done this in the recent past but now my device, although it turns on when connected via USB, is not connecting through MyDrive. Any thoughts? Much appreciate your input.
    Cheers.
    PS. Bit reluctant to 'reset' until I know I can connect and thereby download my maps and routes again. Cheers.
    Superuser
    Hi @Chilla1142

If you do a Factory Reset it does not affect the maps and operating Software iversion on the device , however it will delete all your Data ie My Places, 3rd party Poi files you have added or Routes on the unit. This data should be restored after the Reset once it had connected to your account. You need to go onto the My Drive Website and log into your account and check that all that data is stored there.

Does this help you get connected.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900240-Navigation-device-not-connecting-to-computer-MyDrive-Connect-

Doug
    Thanks Doug. I have cleaned the SIM and done a reset. Can't log into MyDrive using the device yet. It keeps saying to try later. I will persevere LOL. Despite not having access to My routes on it I can still use it normally I guess.
    Thanks for you input though. Cheers.