How does one report an incorrect place name? — TomTom Community

How does one report an incorrect place name?

GerardTrompGerardTromp Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
I have place names that is incorrect. South Africa has been changing place names and I noticed that a few that were quite incorrect.

I tried to use mapshare to report it, but this is not an option. At no level of zoom can I actually create a report.

The location name is Potchefstroom-Tlokwe, but it appears as Ventersdorp-Tlokwe on the map. The coordinates near the town centre are: Potchefstroom, 2520, -26.715399, 27.104532. Ventersdorp is another town some 35 km to the NNW at: Ventersdorp, 2710, -26.317278, 26.830174, but it appears as Tshing.

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,412 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GerardTromp
    If I zoom the map further, for example for the coordinate- -26.715399, 27.104532

f76c2lpredlg.png

I see the above options on the top left side to report an error.

I would use the option "Others" and include some additional information that will help our team to verify and confirm.

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 551 [Revered Pioneer]
    what mapshare shows after zoom
  • GerardTrompGerardTromp Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    edited March 1
    v05slvquo3at.png
    The image above is a screengrab of the mapshare screen.

Nothing is active when I click on anything and there is no means to file a report. I am logged in (see 2sp04p4d2h5p.png
    ).

My understanding was that one can zoom in and then file a report, or click on a specific item, e.g., road, or POI flag, and then create an error report.

At no point can I create a report.

Mod edit:
    Image edited to remove the email address.
    Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,412 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GerardTromp
    If I zoom the map further, for example for the coordinate- -26.715399, 27.104532

f76c2lpredlg.png

I see the above options on the top left side to report an error.

I would use the option "Others" and include some additional information that will help our team to verify and confirm.

Thanks, Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

At maximum zoom those options still do not appear.
    5desd96sx9r5.png

So either some parts of the world are off-limits or there is a permission problem that prevents me from having access to the reporting tools.

Gerard
    Finally,

I appears that the layer of prior reports (empty in my case) inhibits the reporting tools. This is counter-intuitive, because it is not obvious that one has to zoom in that far to activate the reporter tools. As a consequence one starts looking at activating layers.

The instruction video / information merely said to zoom in, not zoom in until one could no longer zoom in (maximum zoom/magnification).