Traffic info strange behaviour - is it right or is it some bug? — TomTom Community

Traffic info strange behaviour - is it right or is it some bug?

Marek_MkZMarek_MkZ Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi. Lately I've encountered strange traffic indications. When I start navigation some traffic issues are shown with no delay information but if I cancel navigation and check the same traffic issue in the very same moment - information about delay is present. Starting navigation again gives the same result - no information about delay time (and thus such delay is not counted). Some screenshots show described situation. 1n0lsqupajt4.jpg
a7omzbqp6kik.jpg
b5bn5qub0eaf.jpg
5we3ijoyhcz5.jpg

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 563 [Revered Pioneer]
    does reinstall make difference
  • Marek_MkZMarek_MkZ Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited March 1
    No. I've tried cache clearing, resetting to defaults and finally reinstallation. Every time the same effect - screenshots from TTG and MapDrive in the same moment. It seems that there's some problem with traffic data interpretation during navigation (during map exploration without navigation - delay values are displayed correctly). And it's not quite reproducible - it appears only for some delays.

x2n3lcd3exza.jpg
    dbrelou6tffh.jpg
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,442 Moderator
    edited March 2
    Hi @Marek_MkZ
    Welcome to the community! Could you share some information as below:

Phone model:
    Android version:
    GO Navigation app version:
    Settings for the planned route: Start and destination
    Route planning settings: Fastest/shortest etc

I would need the information to report this to our team.

Thank you, Vikram
    edited March 2
    Hi @VikramK Yes sure.
    Phone model: Realme X3 SuperZoom
    Android 10
    GO Navigation: 2.3.6
    Start: Luciany Frassati-Gawrońskiej 12
    30-384 Kraków Małopolskie, POL
    Destination: Osiedle na Wzgórzach 36a
    31-711 Kraków Małopolskie, POL
    (data copied from MyDrive portal, route planned yesterday, time on screenshot)
    Route - Fastest, internet planning of the route - off (but with this setting on - effects are similar)
    And I've planned another route in this moment (with the same effect)
    Start - the same
    Destination behind traffic jam (6 min delay, no info in navigation mode apart of traffic incident icon): Kryniczna 11b
    42-520 Dąbrowa Górnicza Śląskie, POL
    edited March 2
    Thanks for info Marek :)
    I have sent it to my team. I will get back as soon as I have an update to share.
    Regards, Vikram
    Hi Marek
    I have an update to share.
    If traffic is far from the current position, even though it shows on the route, the delay will not be considered. But if the route is cleared and you tap the traffic bubble, then it displays the actual delay of that traffic.

However, my team would like to know if this also happens when you are in a nearby traffic radius.

Regards, Vikram
    edited March 2
    Yes - initially I thought so - but second case in my first post was just 7 km from the start and info for further traffic incident was visible and counted. In the last case (this one with 11 min of delay visible on MapDrive) distance from the start was approx. 14 km. Today situation (just few minutes ago) - the same route as previously:
    Start: Luciany Frassati-Gawrońskiej 12
    30-384 Kraków Małopolskie, POL
    Destination: Osiedle na Wzgórzach 36a
    31-711 Kraków Małopolskie, POL
    calculated on TTG and in MapDrive portal - in navigation mode only first delay value is shown (although they all are close one to each other) - but fortunately ETA seems to be calculated properly (the same from TTG and MD portal). Approx. distances to traffic issues are the same as at the beginning of this post so they are not far away and I think that for short distances it would be fine to have all information visible (lets say for a distance visible on side bar - as I remember that is not more than 50 km).

syxdtz6zmpbm.jpg
    pvnunyfv115i.jpg
    Hi @Marek_MkZ
    I am sorry, a bit confused with the screenshots you attached.
    When you say within a radius of 7km, which exact screenshot are you referring to?

If you could reproduce it again and attach a few fresh screenshots I can send them to my team for investigation.

~ Vikram
    I'll try to explain - in the last post (2.03) screenshots - 7 km is the distance from Start to first traffic issue (this one which display delay - 3 min). Next two delays occures immediately after the first one and there's no info about. delay. The last one (close to destination) is approx. 14 km from the start. Traffic displaying problem showed in post published 1.03 - route was the same and screenshots show traffic jam in the same position as the last traffic jam in post published 2.03 - so the distance from the start to this traffic issue is 14 km. In my post published 26.02 two first screenshots shows delay far away from the start point (on road number 47) - it's over 80 km so I presume, that according to Your explanations it is OK that there's no traffic delay displayed, but next two screenshots are from the same route as in the last post (showed traffic issue is 7 km from start point). I know that now it looks somehow messy so I'll try to reproduce situation afternoon (when probably traffic situation will be "good" for that) and I'll mark distances on screenshots
    edited March 3
    OK. I've done another route calculation and navigation screenshot. Route the same as previously. I've calculated route, tapped 'Drive' and made screenshot. Immediately after screenshot I've canceled route and checked delays on the route which were only showed with icon without delay (delay time checked directly in apk). I've also calculated distance between starting point and the delay - all informations on screenshot (distance from start point and delay value). I hope that this will help. Fany thing is that before 4 p.m. all delays on this route were properly displayed (icon and delay time), traffic jams were in very similar positions - so it seems that it is not the restriction in apk

1sqn0bpbnls5.jpg
    I think that it's not exactly the case. Your citation is rather about intelligent route and ETA calculation on the basis of HD Traffic statistical data - and that's fine, especially for longer trips. Case here is rather about traffic information delivered (or not) to driver and rather close to current position were more accurate is rather current traffic situation than predicted one. For the longer trips - ok - but for me it's always better to know more than less and thus I'd prefer to have delay info displayed when information is available. And of course - I think that it is possible explanation that apk compares current situation with statistical data and displays only delays bigger than statistical ones. Thus my question - is it bug or is it feature?
  • pabapaba Posts: 23
    Staff
    Not sure what you asking for exactly. App gets traffic events with predicted time to life periods. If predicted TTL expiration is before user would arrive at event's place then is not calculated in route ETA and showed 0 delay for this route.
    Maybe you want dialog popup to show current delay of event and predicted impact on route separately but that's new feature request.
    No - I don't need any new feature (I think so). I'm just wondering why in practically the same moment when I tap on traffic event in map preview mode I've got delay information for given traffic issue, and in navigation mode this info for the same traffic incident is lost. Look at my last screenshot. Only first traffic incident has delay value displayed - all subsequent traffic incidents show just icons whereas delays caused by these incidents are substantial and they are not far away from me (so with high probability they won't vanish) - I'd like to have this information displayed as it is for the first one - just it (and apk has these informations - values on screenshot are read from apk after stopping navigation). Such Info can help to make decision which route I should take. I do not complain on routing and ETA calculation (they are excellent) - it's just question about information availability.
    edited March 5
    I understand that and my "traffic experiments" confirm that it is so - but IMHO for short distances it isn't right. It is really great that apk take that into account for routing and ETA calculations - this gives very good results and I'm very happy with it. But for me side route bar is for driver information - and presence of it and all displayed there information is of great value but only when information there is accurate and current. According that I won't get information about traffic delay if it is "normal" for given time and place and no bigger than statistic and prediction show. So I also won't know for how long I'll get stuck in this particular traffic jam (because I simply don't know traffic statistic) - and that I would like to know - at least for short distances. And yes - that of course explain that it is feature and not a bug - not very good in my opinion but I can live with it :). Maybe such information could be displayed on tapping on particular traffic incident (then of course it is feature request).
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 6,017
    Superusers
    Hi Marek, I still think there might be some confusion here with the IQ Routes data (the historic averaged speed profiles). This has nothing to do with the case described in this topic. Here, if the algorithms predict that the delay is not there anymore by the time you arrive there, it doesn't show the delay (and also not in the cumulative delay on top of the route bar). I think this makes sense. TT actually knows about the trend of the delay: whether it's becoming larger, or smaller. When the trend is going larger, the TTL expiration will be until later, and the delay will show for you. But if the trend is getting smaller, the lifetime of the delay will be zero by the time you arrive there, so to me it makes sense that in that case it does not show any delay in the red bubble.

Perhaps the lifetime predictions itself are not perfect, but that's a different issue. I think the logic or principle behind showing or not showing the delay based on delay lifetime still makes sense.
    edited March 17
    Hmmm - in that case this doesn't work in Kraków completely. During my investigations of this issue I was observing traffic data for several days for the same route. And traffic delays which were not displayed on side bar during navigation rather were growing than vanishing and surely didn't vanish before time of arrival to the end point. For delays that are far from current position - ok that makes big sense but IMHO not for delays within 10-20 km from the current position, especially if the delay is substantial.