Avoidance of Smart Motorways

Boyd_Taylor1
Boyd_Taylor1 Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I own a WiFi GO 6000 Premium but this suggestion is relevant for all devices: When requesting a route on the device it is possible to choose to avoid Motorways, which can be useful, however I am of the opinion that these so-called Smart Motorways are very dangerous and recent statistics confirm this. I feel very unsafe on them and try to avoid them if possible, so I suggest that TomTom add an extra choice onto the menu allowing avoidance of the Smart sections of a Motorway as well as all Motorways in general. If anyone out there agrees please add your voice to this suggestion so increasing pressure on the development team to do so. Thanks

Comments

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,283
    edited February 2021
    Hi @Boyd_Taylor1
    Welcome to the community! A feature like this has not been requested before so would be interesting to see how many of our users feel the same.
    I will add this as a feedback request to be passed on to our Product and Development teams.

Thank you, Vikram
  • rogcj
    rogcj Registered Users Posts: 11
    Legendary Explorer
    +1 Useful information.
  • ShellbyGriff
    ShellbyGriff Registered Users Posts: 17
    Outstanding Explorer
    This would be very useful.
  • Perran
    Perran Registered Users Posts: 5
    Novice Seeker
    A very good idea.
  • eddie12
    eddie12 Registered Users Posts: 112
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Yes, great idea.
  • John-Jay
    John-Jay Registered Users Posts: 749
    Revered Pioneer
    An essential option!
  • Alantoo
    Alantoo Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    Agreed please add the piton as soon as possible.

Given that Tom Tom units are likely to be widely used in older vehicles which did not have built in Sat Nav the likelihood of a breakdown are presumably higher...so an option to avoid Smart motorway sections would be welcomed by me...I am not going to drive on one again.

Alan
  • tonygr
    tonygr Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Smart motorways have no hard shoulder.

Standard, non motorway, dual carriageways have no hard shoulder

Why is a standard dual carriageway safe to drive on but a smart motorway dangerous?
  • BrianE
    BrianE Worcester, United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 562
    Exalted Navigator
    tonygr wrote: »

Why is a standard dual carriageway safe to drive on but a smart motorway dangerous?

My thoughts exactly and on a dual carriageway you don't have overhead warning signs well in advance to inform you of lane closures/other hazards or variable speed limits to tell you to slow down.
  • scaredycat
    scaredycat Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I suggested this to TomTom early last year when I bought my new device and was disappointed with the user interface. I have an old car which is normally reliable, but which I would not want to break down in a live lane away from a refuge. I don't suppose a few more deaths mind the government much.
  • scaredycat
    scaredycat Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    And in answer to the other comments (a) standard dual carriageways do have a verge demarcated by a white line which provides some security and (b) what is the problem with providing a choice? If you are not bothered by smart motorways you will not need to use the option.
  • Graham_Elvis
    Graham_Elvis Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    An "Avoid Smart Motorways" option would be a real safety improvement!
  • Teecee259
    Teecee259 Registered Users Posts: 65
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    The issue with the smart motorway upgrade is that at the moment they seem to use the hard shoulder as the extra lane at peak times. This can cause confusion as the lane can be live one minute the closed the next. Until the infrastructure is in place this will always be the danger unfortunately.
  • Alantoo
    Alantoo Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    tonygr wrote: »

Dual carriageways are rarely lined both sides by crash barriers...and thus have a verge which can be used for refuge.

Smart motorways have nowhere for you to go.

Alan

• Talman
    Talman Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    If an avoid Smart Motorway option was available I would purchase a device without hesitation. These schemes are an unmitigated disaster and national scandal. I and many others refuse to drive on them. Every vehicle you have ever seen broken down the hard shoulder would have been broken down in lane 1 had it been a smart motorway and you'd have needed to take avoiding action instead of simply passing it. Swerving isn't an option. And it's not just about your own ability to see stricken vehicles up ahead. If the car in front doesn't and it smashes into it, chances are either the car or debris from it will cause further accidents. Death traps. Only when you've been on one and seen how little space is available for cars to avoid a crash will you realise that a simple breakdown creates a life threatening situation for you and everyone behind you.