Linking a newer device to my current account — TomTom Community

Linking a newer device to my current account

N1755LN1755L Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
edited February 25 in Map installation
Hello,

Is there any TomTom customer support here before I type out a long explanation needlessly? Thank you.

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,097 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for sending the serial number @N1755L
    The device has been linked to your TomTom account and you should be able to add the maps using TomTom HOME.

Regards, Vikram

Answers

Hi @N1755L
    Welcome to the community!
    I reviewed your TomTom account and I see you have three devices linked. Do you wish to link another device?

Thanks, Vikram
  • N1755LN1755L Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    edited February 23
    Yes, most certainly, I have maps that I'd bought in 2016 or 2017 for my GO 720, and this Canada/US map worked beautifully on my 720.

My GO 720 was stolen out of my car recently, so I've just purchased a brand new G0 720, so now I'm trying to link that new 720 to my 'springdale' e-mail so that I might use my maps again on my brand new 720.

I know you can do it, I just don't know if you'll be allowed to do it.

I've tried a few more TomTom GPS than those other ones on my account, I'm the "tech guy" at my company and every time someone needs a GPS I get to try out different TomTom GPSs, but as for myself, I never stopped using the 720 because I do not at all, in any way like the newer GPS units, the 720 is done right, and the newer units pale in comparison and the new interfaces are TERRIBLE, so whether I have to use the old 2010 map or not, I have no intention of using a newer TomTom for my own personal use.

If you can get my new 720 going, then I can keep updating that one, I'll make the new maps fit on it, or on an SD card.

Even if I had to boot the GPS with an old map, if I have a newer map on the SD card, then perhaps after booting I can go to preferences and switch map.

I will be very appreciative if you can help me use my 2016 maps on this new 720 device, and if it will work, I can later update the map to something more current.

Thank you Vikram.

P.S. I've done it before, I had bought a replacement 720, fired up TomTom Home 2, and switched the maps from my older 720 to a newer 720 a few years ago, so I know it can be done, I can assign my maps to this newer unit, the problem is that the old TomTom Home software, when I would select to link the new device to my account, would give an error that it couldn't find the server.

I updated to the latest TomTom Home software and now when I ask to have the new device linked to my account, I get a coercive message saying that I can get a new device, but it won't transfer the new device to my account.

It is tactics like that which got Microsoft to be so hated by anyone with self-respect. I hope TomTom is not going to try to arm-twist their customers.
    Thanks, @N1755L for the detailed explanation.
    Just so that we are looking at the correct device could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for sending the serial number @N1755L
    The device has been linked to your TomTom account and you should be able to add the maps using TomTom HOME.

Regards, Vikram