START 60 - pros/cons of My Connect vs Drive — TomTom Community

START 60 - pros/cons of My Connect vs Drive

Hi everyone.

I've just ended up with two similarish 6" TomTom STARTs. Don't ask... Ok, then, it's 'cos I was after one on t'Bay, and set snipes - both won... :-(

They have two different 'interfaces' - ie the way they appear on the screen - please see photos below. They also update using different services, one being 'Connect' and the other 'Drive'.

Having not used either on an actual trip - darn this C-19 - could someone tell me the pros and cons of each, please? Is one considered 'better' or more advanced, or with improved features? Is one newer?

1) START Serial No. begins WN. Uses My Connect to update (just done this for the included UK + ROI maps).

2) START 60 Serial No. begins VE. Uses My Drive to update (just done ditto for the included UK and West Europe maps)

Finally, (2) the START 60 takes an age to load each time, probably due to the larger W-E maps. Could I disable/remove the WE map to make it snappier, but still retain the option to load them again later on for free?

Many thanks.

1) hj65hyhra2cq.jpg

2) aqn0iqtmtit7.jpg

Best Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,963
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    If I am correct it has lifetime maps for all of europe.
    To be sure you can ask the support if it is so. The user YamFazMan described here how to contact support.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

ust because you have a small card on the device doesn't make it boot faster. The start devices are simple models and have only little computing power.
    Noobie wrote: »
    ....... (Is 'Frass' Ghàidhlig for a brief rain shower?!).....
    Lochfrass is a German term for small hole-shaped rusting through.
    Since I found the word funny I have used it as a name for the forum

I mostly post in the German part of this Forum and only somtimes in the English part.

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,937
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Noobie

By adding the Extra memory card then when updating the map it will move the map to the Extra memory card because it has not now got enough room on the internal memory for the Map. Now that this has removed the map from the internal memory then the unit should be much faster as it is recommended that you have a minimum of 400mb of free memory on the internal memory which the unit uses for operational purposes. The fact it has so little (25mp) is why it has become so sluggish.

Doug

Answers

Superusers
    edited February 19
    Hi

TomTom has launched 2 Start 60 on the market.
    They differ from the spelling
    Start 60 until 2012 and START 60 from 2013 onwards.

The Start 60 (WN) is a Nav3 device with 4GB internal memory. It is already relatively old and does not support the "MyDrive Cloud". Various personalizations can be added like own poi pictures or styles.

The START60 (VE) is a Nav4 device and the successor of the Start 60 and has 8Gb iternal Memory.
    When you save a "My Places" it can be synchronized with the MyDrive Cloud. This has the advantage that the "My Places" can be restored when resetting to factory settings.
    Unfortunately, you can't personalize the device much.

I personally think that the START60 (VE) will be supplied with map updates for a longer time.

PS: The Maps are linked to the Serialnumber of the devices. At least with the VE device the map should be included as a lifetime service, so that the map can be downloaded again at any time
  • NoobieNoobie Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    That is superb - very comprehensive, Lochfrass. (Is 'Frass' Ghàidhlig for a brief rain shower?!)

The '60' is clearly the one to keep, then.

Do you reckon - for as long as free map updates are available - I could wipe the W-E maps to make it start up faster, and still be able to reloaded them if wished?

Cheers.
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    If I am correct it has lifetime maps for all of europe.
    To be sure you can ask the support if it is so. The user YamFazMan described here how to contact support.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

ust because you have a small card on the device doesn't make it boot faster. The start devices are simple models and have only little computing power.
    Noobie wrote: »
    ....... (Is 'Frass' Ghàidhlig for a brief rain shower?!).....
    Lochfrass is a German term for small hole-shaped rusting through.
    Since I found the word funny I have used it as a name for the forum

I mostly post in the German part of this Forum and only somtimes in the English part.

edited February 20
    Thanks again.

German for a rusty hole? Ach, well, I guess it was caused a brief Scottish shower...

Yes, it has free W-E map updates. And apparently 8GB of internal memory (no additional card), but which shows as only having around 25MB left...

It takes around 35 seconds to load up - the bar scrolling very slowly along the bottom - so I was hoping to cut that time down by deleting the W-E maps if possible.

Cheers - I'll ask support.
    Superuser
    Hi @Noobie

There is an extra memory slot see here.

Recommend a 16gb or maximum 32gb Micro SD Class 10 card from a major maker like Sandisk, Samsung etc.

Doug
    Thanks, Doug - yes I've seen that.

I doubt it would speed up the loading, tho'? For that, I guess I'd need to either disable the W-E maps, or else remove them altogether. (I'm assuming it's 'all' loading up, or why else would it be so slow - the Nav3 model i also have starts up pretty much instantly.)

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Noobie

By adding the Extra memory card then when updating the map it will move the map to the Extra memory card because it has not now got enough room on the internal memory for the Map. Now that this has removed the map from the internal memory then the unit should be much faster as it is recommended that you have a minimum of 400mb of free memory on the internal memory which the unit uses for operational purposes. The fact it has so little (25mp) is why it has become so sluggish.

Doug
    edited March 1
    Thanks Doug - that makes sense, and I'll get a card for it.

I'll report back - cheers.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,423
    Superusers
    edited March 1
    Hi
    @Noobie
    The Start 60 (WN) NAV3 4GB Memory device....
    The START60 (VE) NAV4 8GB Memory device....
    Both devices have the same Catch22 memory storage problem where the respective full Europe Map size now exceeds the onboard memory size....

Catch22 NAV3... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1742719/#Comment_1742719

Catch22 NAV4... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1743126/#Comment_1743126
    Catch22 NAV4 @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and add a small Map to the Account to get past the NAV4 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM