smartphone — TomTom Community

smartphone

how come amazon sells a Basic with update via smartphone- I'm looking for update without smartphone...

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,547
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @PeeDeeBee

Unless you want the IFTTT functions and one or two others little features it is likely that the GO5200 is going to meet your needs unless you want to be able to update via Direct Wifi.

The Tomtom App should not use much data at all. You download the maps and updates you want to the phone which you can do when attached to your Wifi at home.and the only data you would then use is for Traffic and Cameras which is about 7mb per month for traffic if you use it every day for 1hour during the busiest traffic time. Should you send saved routes to your App from the MyDrive app again this is very small amounts of data.

Doug

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,388 Moderator
    Hi @PeeDeeBee
    Welcome to the community!
    Are you referring to a device that connects to TomTom Services through a built-in SIM?

Thanks, Vikram
  • PeeDeeBeePeeDeeBee Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    edited February 18
    hi @VikramK, Thanks- well that's just it- I don't know. Does "traffic update without smartphone" mean the same as what you've said? I think so, but Im not well up on the jargon. Youngsters say-Just use your phone anyway, but my phone has not the capacity, nor the mobile data....... & I really don't want to have to try and link 2 things together. So- if Go Basic does what you & I both mean, it's for me.
    -satnav- all complete- live traffic (not bothered about speedcam stuff) - does for itself what might have needed a phone for an older model...... (anyway on Amazon there's a "go" which says Update traffic via smartphone, and it's a lot cheaper than the Go Basic that comes up on tomtom website, so I imagine it's an old one, or in fact obselete)
    Superuser
    Hi @PeeDeeBee

The Basic needs the connection to a smart phone to get Traffic etc. If you don't want to involve a Phone then the Premium ar Premium X are the latest units or the GO5000/5100 or 5200 units as they all have an inbuilt Mobile sim. The 6" versions ie GO6000/6100 and 6200 also have the inbuilt Sim. The GOX200 models update by directly connecting to the Internet via Wifi like the Premium models thus generally avoid the need for a PC.

When considering the above units the lower the number the older the units.

Doug
    hi Doug & Vikram; it's quite hard to discover which models include the SIM, isn't it?
    tomtom main website doesn't put the info up in a way that made me understand it easily- I thought Basic had the feature I want. but no- as you say Go 5200 seems to be the first model- ie: in price league, which has.
    Am I right in thinking that updating Maps, which I believe is a different issue from my initial query- is done by wifi, at home for isntance, ( or when parked right next to Macdonalds!) The wifi feature seems to be more readily available than the SIM. - in fact on all models?
    What is GoX200?
    thanks very much for your help
    Peter
    Superuser
    Hi @PeeDeeBee

Firstly GOX200 means models where the X refers to the size ie GO5200 or GO6200 ie 5" and 6" which are the same other than size.

The Current models like the Basic, Essential and Premium units can be linked directly to your or even a friends Wifi system and when there are updates or new items available for loading on the units you are advised and you use the menu options on the device to manage the updating etc. Now in the event the available Wifi may not be good or there is no Wifi available in the owners house maybe for health reasons. therefore all their PC equipment is on a wired system, in those instances then you need a PC with the My Drive Software running and you can connect the TT unit to the PC and Update that way.

Regarding the likes of McDonalds these systems like Hotel Wifi often need you to pre login rather than just entering a Wifi name and Password and that is not possible. The Wifi TT units also log on to 5HGz Wifi so the download speeds can be very good.

The GOX200 units like all the models released before the Wifi range require you to have a PC to connect to in order to Update.ie

Another benefit of the units with the inbuilt Sim is that you can create a route using the My Drive App on your phone and send it to your Device and the inbuilt Sim means that you receive it without the need for a Smartphone being connected. Also if you ever had
    to do a Factory Restore of the unit then after you reset the unit when it connects via the In built Sim all your data is restored to the unit wherever you are whether you have you Smartphone with you or not. There are no ongoing Data charges for the Inbuilt Sim.

The Inbuilt Sims work on the 2G system and so if and when that system shuts down then you will need to use a Smartphone as with the Basic to continue receiving the Traffic data etc.

Doug
    hi Doug- thanks very much for your comprehensive info- I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being a dinosaur about this SIM stuff- but anohter question arose just as I thought "time to go shopping"
    on amazon there is G05200 sIM included, £175 ( & £ isn't the be all & end all, but compared to £300 it makes you think). Then I discover it's a 2016 original. Does that mean it;s false economy relating to its longevity for updates to the Maps themselves?
    You'll be amused to hear that amongst this discussion our younger generation have offered to bequeath us their old tomtom because they just use the smartphone completely. How mush continuous mobile data that uses I hate to think- maybe they;ve got an unlimited bundle.....
    So I may be getting a free tutorial in how to use one!
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @PeeDeeBee

Unless you want the IFTTT functions and one or two others little features it is likely that the GO5200 is going to meet your needs unless you want to be able to update via Direct Wifi.

The Tomtom App should not use much data at all. You download the maps and updates you want to the phone which you can do when attached to your Wifi at home.and the only data you would then use is for Traffic and Cameras which is about 7mb per month for traffic if you use it every day for 1hour during the busiest traffic time. Should you send saved routes to your App from the MyDrive app again this is very small amounts of data.

Doug
    that's great Doug- Ill have to spend time learning how to use it now; all a great help, Cheers,