About to get rid of rider 550 — TomTom Community

About to get rid of rider 550

MakoShark2MakoShark2 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
I've recently changed from a +10 years old Urban Rider to the latest Rider 550 and I wish I've had read a lot more about the 550 before making the switch.

Here's the features I'm missing and had on my +10 years device that I have no more with the 550
- Waypoints naming, now I'm stuck with addresses for names that I cannot change
- Waypoints skipping or navigate to, can't do it with the 550
- POI image customization, stuck with a couple of stupid coloured icons
- Phone integration. Before I was able to import the contact list and pick any number as seeing who was calling me and accepting or not from the Rider, all this is gone and now stuck with some kind of voice recognition who doesn't work.

I love the new interface and the traffic data connectivity but really can't understand this downgrade for a lot of features who have been always standard. Surely it's not that complicated and most certainly not a technical issue as the 550 runs a powerful and modern quad-core.

Then it seems all this is present for the new Garmin Zumo XT and with other interesting features missing from the 550 like for example music playback.

I've search for any existent interesting hacks (which existed for the older units) but no luck.

So please could anyone could give me reason to no trade this weakened rider with a capable Zumo XT unit?
Tagged:

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 714 [Revered Pioneer]
    Try riding Tracks.
    No more waypoints to skip.

This is where the Rider 550 is designed for.

And when you don’t follow the track for a part recalculation really works. (My Garmin Zumo XT was not able to do this, to slow and very strange routes)
  • MakoShark2MakoShark2 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thanks for the reply.

I did not try it but I've used it in the past for offroad tracks (works great by the way).
    I do think I get how it works it's like a follow path. And if you miss it you'll get a route to the nearest point.

Here's what I used to do with my old unit:
    I've setup a itinerary from A->B->C->-D->E
    Let's say I'll have lunch at C. I would set destination to C which would give me distance and arrival time to C.
    Let's say it's too late after lunch so I'll skip D and go right to E instead.

Can't do this either with routes or tracks now, right?
    At least without splitting the itinerary into all possible combinations.
    You can skip waypoints in the Current Route menu.

Or just load Places A B C D E. And start a route to one of these.

With Tracks you can drive a alternative route past D and follow the instructions to E.

I owned a Zumo XT and I am sure you will be disappointed with this device to. It also can’t do wat you are used to.
    And recalculation has manny issues on this unit.
    That's what I thought... And the +10 years old rider does this flawlessly without any need to split the itinerary into multiple possibilities... Really disappointed.

It keeps going worse, I have now found there's a limit of waypoints (seems to be set at 20) which to me fells like very few and a total nonsense...
    Now it's really starting to look as a downgrade in terms of functionalities.

Was yours Zumo XT the latest one? Seems the unit as improved and received a lot of features you can find in the 550 rider (as I mentioned in my first post).

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, my Zumo XT was the latest model. I sold it late 2020 after 6 months use next to my TomTom.
    To get the XT working you have to switch off Recalculation.
    Routes have to be checked in BasCamp with the same map to be reliable.
    Also their curvy option only works for (big) main roads.

And yes loading a ITN route on the Rider supports 255 Stops.
    With the current route menu you can skip parts. (Easier than the Zumo XT with recalculation off)

I like my Rider 550.
    Set a destination and calculate a curvy route. If you see a nice road just take it and follow the recalculated route after theses nice roads.

Load a track to follow the planed path. Even now you are free to take for example a shortcut. The Rider recalculates a route back to the closest point on your track.
    Reading all this carefully seems a couple of workarounds for useful features that were there for ages.

So the 20 limit just makes the MyDrive interface useless to me (most of the times at least) which is another setback because it was really nice and easy to use.

Still...
    Missing the waypoint naming which is mandatory if you need to make some changes during navigation or just to see what's ahead of you.
    The stupid geometric coloured icons for custom POIs make them useless.
    Phone integration is a joke and relies (when you are able to make it work) on the phone assistant.
    And music playback which although it seems it was planned is not available.

Not asking for breakthrough or impossible features, just the same functionality I had with my old device. Could be me but browsing the discussion forum seems I'm not alone and the response from Tomtom developers has be nothing but silence.

I've been a long time user of Tomtom and the Urban Rider was a great and reliable unit but they've lost me with the Rider 550.

So I'll be selling the 550 and buying the Zumo XT.

Hope to make a comparison between both units when I'll have the Zumo.

Thank you for your patience and effort.
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 140 [Revered Navigator]
    edited February 26
    @MakoShark2
    Yep, can't agree more. I too was very disappointed having been obsoleted up from my trusty Rider 2 to the Rider550. A quick check on the my rants here will confirm this.

I have a couple of active TomTom SatNavs latest being 520. A few nice new features like update on WiFi but I hate the nonsense that "intelligent Routes" brings me and the phone book management is hopeless although loads better than the non-existent Rider550 version. A long day weaving in and out, back and forth across the actual road that goes to my destination because "its faster to weave back and forth on that road" is exhausting and quite possibly DANGEROUS.

"Intelligent Routing" has taken me TWO sides of a triangle because I get to escape a 30mph limit a little sooner but then it dumps me at a NIGHTMARE junction to exit from and I loose any advantage. PANTS.

All the new "CLEVER" made available by newer, faster processors is actually lost on the route. Its total PANTS in real life and out there on a real road.
    So a little update... I finally got rid of the Rider 550 and got myself a Zumo XT...

Should have done this sooner, the XT is way ahead in terms of software...
    And the screen? Wow... no more problems when the Sun is behind me!

No more waypoints which will loose they're name when transferred.
    No more custom POIs which show on the map as geometric symbols which are totally useless.
    No more picking at waypoints on the map to edit a route, now I can just access the list and remove any waypoint were I want to.
    No more bluetooth troubles which would refuse to reconnect if I went away and back.
    Got the phone management back, I can now dial from the satnav, see the missed calls, etc... Like a used to in the old Urban Rider.
    Have an MP3 player which works great, either from the sdcard, internal storage or phone.
    And several other new features which I didn't even knew.

At this time I would say the only thing where the Rider 550 shines would be the mount, it's way better than the all plastic garmin mount... but I got myself a Zumo lock and have no problems living with that.

• gs2offroadgs2offroad Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    MakoShark2 wrote: »
    So a little update... I finally got rid of the Rider 550 and got myself a Zumo XT...

Should have done this sooner, the XT is way ahead in terms of software...
    And the screen? Wow... no more problems when the Sun is behind me!

Congratulations! Your TomTom nightmare is over. I am about to do the same.