Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,472
    Superusers
    edited February 13 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Julie79865
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom FAQ... Smartphone Connected....
    How much data will TomTom services use ???
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957479-GET-CONNECTED-TO-TOMTOM-SERVICES#h_01ECHWD2K4K3J6R44P2H2K3EBN

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,002
    Superuser
    edited February 14 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Julie79865

There is nothing Fake Support Pages about the link that @YamFazMan has posted as yesterday it certainly worked for me but for some reason not this morning at the moment. Here is the info on the page that I think he was trying to give you which shows how little data usage is involved .

"Travelling conditions change all the time. Because we want our community to have the best driving experience, we want you to always have the most up-to-date information. That's why all TomTom Services require your TomTom navigation device to be connected to the Internet. Currently, TomTom Services include: TomTom Traffic, Speed Camera Updates and MyDrive.

Our Smartphone Connected devices use Bluetooth to connect to and share your smartphone's 3G/4G network connectivity. We've ensured that TomTom Services use very little data to have the minimum possible impact on your monthly data allowance.

How much data will TomTom services use?

On average, if you drive for one hour per day during peak traffic times, you will use approximately 7 MB of data per month. This is less than the equivalent of downloading or streaming 2 music tracks per month (which use around 5MB each).

If you plan to travel abroad and want to use TomTom Services, be aware that you can incur additional data-roaming charges because you will be using the Internet abroad. You can check your data roaming plan and costs by contacting your mobile operator."

Doug
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Julie79865 @DougLap
    Just checked, the link is working OK for me...
    Window 10 64bt Using Microsoft Edge, Chrome & Firefox all Good

Link... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957479-GET-CONNECTED-TO-TOMTOM-SERVICES#h_01ECHWD2K4K3J6R44P2H2K3EBN

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,020
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    @YamFazMan
    I think thats a known Cookie problem. In the German part of this Forum i read it often when users try to contact the support.
    Sometimes Browser Addons make problems too. In Private mode it works for the most users.

Answers

Superusers
    Can you see traffic when it is connected to a WiFi network?
    Have you made a factory reset? Is the device still under warranty?
  • Julie79865Julie79865 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    @lochfrass - having spent a couple of hours in the discussion I realise it’s to do with the 2G being switched off in Switzerland. No idea how I’m going to find a solution though. I cross the border between Germany and Switzerland regularly and can’t afford to use mobile data. I guess I’ll be investing in a Garmin 🥲
    Superusers
    edited February 13 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Julie79865
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom FAQ... Smartphone Connected....
    How much data will TomTom services use ???
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957479-GET-CONNECTED-TO-TOMTOM-SERVICES#h_01ECHWD2K4K3J6R44P2H2K3EBN

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for trying to help - however, whenever I cllick on a link for further information I see the text for a flash and then am instantly taken back to the discussions home page. I‘m guessing that this has something to do with the fake support pages - but I‘m still left with unanswered questions.
    Superuser
    edited February 14 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Julie79865

There is nothing Fake Support Pages about the link that @YamFazMan has posted as yesterday it certainly worked for me but for some reason not this morning at the moment. Here is the info on the page that I think he was trying to give you which shows how little data usage is involved .

"Travelling conditions change all the time. Because we want our community to have the best driving experience, we want you to always have the most up-to-date information. That's why all TomTom Services require your TomTom navigation device to be connected to the Internet. Currently, TomTom Services include: TomTom Traffic, Speed Camera Updates and MyDrive.

Our Smartphone Connected devices use Bluetooth to connect to and share your smartphone's 3G/4G network connectivity. We've ensured that TomTom Services use very little data to have the minimum possible impact on your monthly data allowance.

How much data will TomTom services use?

On average, if you drive for one hour per day during peak traffic times, you will use approximately 7 MB of data per month. This is less than the equivalent of downloading or streaming 2 music tracks per month (which use around 5MB each).

If you plan to travel abroad and want to use TomTom Services, be aware that you can incur additional data-roaming charges because you will be using the Internet abroad. You can check your data roaming plan and costs by contacting your mobile operator."

Doug
    Superusers
    @Julie79865
    Open the following link with rightclick in a private Window/Incognito Mode.
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/de/articles/360013898160-TomTom-Traffic-Datennutzung

Ps: If it easyer for you you can also read or Post in the German part of this Forum.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/de/discussions
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Julie79865 @DougLap
    Just checked, the link is working OK for me...
    Window 10 64bt Using Microsoft Edge, Chrome & Firefox all Good

Link... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957479-GET-CONNECTED-TO-TOMTOM-SERVICES#h_01ECHWD2K4K3J6R44P2H2K3EBN

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    @YamFazMan
    I think thats a known Cookie problem. In the German part of this Forum i read it often when users try to contact the support.
    Sometimes Browser Addons make problems too. In Private mode it works for the most users.
    Superuser
    edited February 14
    Hi

The link has just worked fine for me now.😲 MacBook Safari

Doug
    Thanks for your help @Lochfrass @YamFazMan
    I've decided to try using the Mobile Data for a while - since I have a CH mobile phone there won't be any roaming charges whilst driving in Switzerland.
    No idea why the links weren't working before - all working fine today.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Julie79865
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @Julie79865

Glad you are sorted

Doug
  • Accuway123Accuway123 Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Hi all
    The Go5200 has a built in sim for live services, why do I now need to connect to phone data?
  • Accuway123Accuway123 Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Hi all
    Recently Go5200 with built in sim stopped connecting. I can get live services using phone hot spot ok but shouldn’t have to. Wondering if sim stopped working😩
    Superusers
    edited February 17
    Hi
    @Accuway123
    The original poster lives in Switzerland....
    in Switzerland they have recently turned off the 2G phone service....

ATB YFM