Reporting Mobile Speed Cameras — TomTom Community

Reporting Mobile Speed Cameras

David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
At the bottom of the screen there is a button with a speed camera icon with a plus sign; obviously to tap when reporting a speed camera. Last time I used this, there was no prompt to differentiate between fixed and mobile speed cameras. However, I had noticed during one trip, the App reported a Mobile speed camera ahead.

I can only guess that this was reported via something else other than the Android App, but was picked up by the Android App I was running and reported at drive time.

The online documentation for the Android App, found in this site under 'User Manuals', does infer the availability of the function under the Android version, but I quickly noted that this manual is out of date referring to an earlier version based in the iconography, screen captures and instructions within.

I am reticent to tap the Speed Camera reporting icon as it appears to only refer to Fixed instances.

I am using version 2.3.6 (9 Feb 2021). Documentation infers that reporting of Mobile used to be there. Is it going to return?
Given a new Government policy (this year) to plant Mobile Speed cameras without warning signage, this option may be of greater need.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,669
    Superusers
    edited February 13
    Hi
    @David_Green_7
    I would think Tomtom can differentiate between Fixed a Mobile Cameras from the reported data ???
    If all the reports over a period of time, at varying times thought the Days Weeks Months all report the camera in the same location... It's a Fixed Camera....
    If Tomtom only gets reports at random times throughout the Days Weeks Months of a speed Cam at the same location then It's most likely a Mobile Speed Cam....

Maybe useful... For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm here in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    Along with the standard triple 'dong dong dong' warning the device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    If all the reports over a period of time at varying times thought the Days Weeks Months all report the camera in the same location... It's a Fixed Camera....
    If Tomtom only gets reports at random times throughout the Days Weeks Months of a speed Cam at the same location then It's most likely a Mobile Speed Cam..

That is a possibility. But some documentation to the effect would be good to see.
    A mobile camera is only in position for a short time ( 1 - 2 hours? ), if it needs multiple reports over days to confirm, then it will never get logged and passed on.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,669
    Superusers
    edited February 13
    Hi
    @David_Green_7
    None of my various Tomtom Models/Devices allow me to select a Speed Cam type or the direction of travel (Speed camera in the opposite direction to my direction travel)
    The Tomtom Mobile camera database has always been that way
    I have also seen and NOT been warned about the Mobile Camera Vans, but I always report one if I see it, so I guess the Tomtom users for the next couple of hours received a warning

i.e... A while ago on Woodbury Lane Worcester I spotted a Police Motorcycle speed check/trap... I received no warning
    I tapped the 'Report a Speed Cam' button....
    On the return journey I received a warning and a confirmation 'Is the Speed Camera still there request'
    The 'Is a Speed Camera still there' request is only issued if someone has recently reported a Speed Camera to be present, the warning should remain active for 2 to 3 hours unless someone else reports the Camera van still there, or it has moved on

ca783271-5bf6-4262-b15c-a82734b06077.png

I prefer the 3rd party Speed camera database that I use on my NAV3 devices, I don't mind the false positives, but it can get a little irritating along the A449 with the sheer amount of false positives
    The Tomtom 'Smart' Speed Camera database is so that people aren't annoyed by false positive Speed Cam warning
    I wish Tomtom would offer the best of both worlds
    A choice between their 'Smart' system that relies on other users reporting the Cameras
    Or an option to Warn about the location of each Camera whether it's a live Camera location or a false positive

Note... I find the 'Report a Speed Camera' button is greyed out when approaching a known Speed Cam site and the button only becomes active immediately adjacent to the Speed cam location....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • David_Green_7David_Green_7 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I guess, until someone from TomTom confirms, I'll try and put it to the test to see if the Mobile Speed Camera warning appears instead of the the Fixed Speed Camera.

I guess it makes sense to have one button only, and logic to sort out Fixed from Mobile, but it would be helpful if they updated their manual to reflect this.

Thanks for your insight @YamFazMan