How to transfer POI files from GO 5100 to GO Premium X? — TomTom Community

How to transfer POI files from GO 5100 to GO Premium X?

All the info points to transfers from older GO devices not the 5100

Best Answer

• Barrie27Barrie27 Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    I can only see the POIs etc on my Go5100 - not on MyDrive or the Premium X even though both are set up for the same account.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,548
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @Barrie27

If you add the Premium X to the same account as your GO5100 is on then any 3rd Party POI files, Home and Saved Routes in your account and so on the GO5100 will be added to the Premium X.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    I can only see the POIs etc on my Go5100 - not on MyDrive or the Premium X even though both are set up for the same account.
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @Barrie27

I assume the POI's you are referring to are 3rd Party files. These files must be added to your account using the My Drive Webpage.

Once they have been imported into your account then when you turn on the TT units on the account they should be added to all the units when they are started up and they have logged into the same My Drive Account.

If you have set your Home setting on the GO5100 and the unit is logged into My Drive then if you go to your account on the My Drive Website to should show that it is backed up there? The same will apply to any My Places you store on the GO5100 in that they should be shown as backed up on the MD website and will sync to the Premium X when it logs into the account

Doug
    Still none the wiser.
    Go5100 is connected to MyDrive but there's no backup option and I can't see any POI's favourites or recent destinations on the computer.
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrie27

I wonder if you are confusing My Drive Connect software which updates etc the units and the My Drive Website

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

If you click on the above link and log in using the same account as you have input into your GO500 then Tap the 3rd Icon down on the left hand edge then you should be able to see your Favourite and and POI files you have added listed there.
    Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrie27

The video may help.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

You should note that if you save a new My Place on the GO5100, the same applies to the Premium, then it should be added to the My Drive Account.

Doug
    On the MyDrive web site on my computer, the 3rd icon down on the left is My Places - that does not list places stored on the Go5100 (which is currently connected), it only list the places that I have added to the system today.
    As well as all the places stored on the Go5100 it also has groups of locations stored as POI (OV2 files) originally migrated from the previous Go930.
    Transferring files from Go930 to Go5100 was reasonably straightforward, so why can't I store anything on the Go5100 onto the computer for the Go Premium X to pick up?
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @Barrie27

Assuming that the GO5100 is logged into the same account as you are using on the Website then I would expect them to be showing the same details.

@YamFazMan is your man for this situation and hopefully he will pick this up and help sort you out.

Doug

PS I see you have clicked Disagree. What I have said does occur between all my units to the extent that if both units are on if I create a route on one unit it also changes the route on the other device even if it is in mid journey. This is an issue with more than one unit on the same account and is avoided if the units are logged out of My Drive except when needed. Being logged out of My Drive does not reduce the units ability to direct and receive Traffic data etc.
    Both Go5100 and Premium X show the same details as seen on the MyDrive web site but these details do not include POIs and many previous destinations logged in the 5100.
    The now retired (it broke..) Go930 had a backup facility where these files could be converted to OV2 files and stored on my computer - that option does not seem to exist for newer models.
    I have no issues with storing new journeys and syncing on both devices, just can't seem to transfer all the years of previously stored journeys.
    Superuser
    edited February 12
    Hi @Barrie27

The list of Recent Destinations on your GO5100 will not be replicated on the other units on the same account. Recent Destinations on a TT unit are applicable to the individual unit they were set on. The only way to get around this is to save a Recent destination in My Places and then it will sync to the other units on the account.

Regarding routes created and saved on the GO5100, ie not using My Drive and including any you may have recorded on the unit, the will not be automatically synced back to your My Drive Account but by using the Share Track in My Routes you can insert a small Micro SD card and save them to the card, export to your PC then Import into My Drive. If you have added an extra memory card for map purposes this card cannot be used. A small memory card will do the trick which you just insert into the unit and then without formatting it in the unit it will accept the Route files which will be small files.

Doug
    I'm beginning to think that this MyPlaces and MyDrive concept is a retrograde step. On previous models you could download POI files, backup/restore devices, create custom icons to replace the symbol for your car etc... etc...
    Such is progress.
    The 5100 does have a memory card fitted but I think I loaded the main map onto it...
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrie27

Any Routes created and saved on the My Drive Website and the option selected to sync them to your Devices on the account should appear on both units. If you have got routes in your My Routes folder on the GO5100 and they were created using My Drive then go to My Drive and check that the Sync to my devices is still selected.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,978
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Barrie27
    On the GO 5100....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services... Are you logged into MyDrive ???

GO Premium....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Are you logged into MyDrive ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Barrie27

.....then go to My Drive and check that the Sync to my devices is still selected.

Doug
    5100 (and Premium X) is logged into MyDrive but where is the "Sync to my devices" option?

I've found what's causing the problem!!!

Go5100 is synced to MyDrive through my old email account.....

But how do I change the login?
    After logging out, the login prompt will only allow you to enter the password ..... of the old email account.

I can't find an option to log the 5100 into my current email account (i.e. the one that both the Go Premium and MyDrive are logged into).
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi @Barrie27

If you want to put both units on the same Account then the one you need to change will need a Factory Reset.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device

This will delete all the Home, My Places and Routing Data on the unit but will not affect the Map and Operating Versions on the unit. When you have completed the Reset then you will have to Set the unit up as you originally did and so will now be able to input the My Drive Account and Password you want. When the unit. then is started and it logs into the My Drive Account then it will sync the Home, My Place data, including any 3rd Party POI files that are on the account , and the Routes.

Do remember that if both units are being used at the same time and are both logged into the My Drive account then if you create a route on one unit it will change the route on the other unit even if it is in mid journey. Ie if SHMBO is driving somewhere and I create a route on the unit I have goodness knows where she might finish up. 😂😂 If you want to avoid this situation then only have the units logged in when you need them to be as being logged out does not affect the normal operation of the unit.

Doug
    Ah... that's not good, as the 5100 will only sync the old routes, POIs etc. to MyDrive when logged into the old account.
    So I need to find a way of saving them from MyDrive when logged into the old account and then re-loading them into MyDrive for the current account for the Premium to pick up.
    Then I can do a factory reset on the 5100, log it into the current account and pickup the "lost" data.
    As for using both units set up for the same email account simultaneously, well, the 5100 will only sync (i.e. update) from MyDrive when connected directly via the USB so not when in use on any journey.
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi @Barrie27

@YamFazMan is the one to describe how to transfer My Drive data to a new account and hopefully he will pick this up and add the information.

Regarding your last comment I am afraid that is incorrect. If both units are out of your Wifi's range and not connected to any PC then when you create a route on one unit the information is sent to your Account using the inbuilt mobile sim that also delivers the `Traffic data. Once that route info hits the account it is then sent to all units currently logged into the account which receive it via the same method. It is also possible that if you had to do a Factory Reset when away from home for any reason both units as they have an inbuilt sim will sync all the data including 3rd Party POI files back onto the unit after the reset when the units log Ito the account.

The above situation also occurs with units that do not have an inbuilt sim but when connected to a Mobile phone for the Traffic data they will act similarly re routing if they are logged into `My Drive.

SHMBO has phoned me asking for some info on a destination she wanted to go to and I said wait a few minutes and the route will appear on your unit.

Doug
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 14,437
    Superusers
    edited February 13
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Barrie27

@YamFazMan is the one to describe how to transfer My Drive data to a new account and hopefully he will pick this up and add the information.

Regarding your last comment I am afraid that is incorrect. If both units are out of your Wifi's range and not connected to any PC then when you create a route on one unit the information is sent to your Account using the inbuilt mobile sim that also delivers the `Traffic data. Once that route info hits the account it is then sent to all units currently logged into the account which receive it via the same method. It is also possible that if you had to do a Factory Reset when away from home for any reason both units as they have an inbuilt sim will sync all the data including 3rd Party POI files back onto the unit after the reset when the units log Ito the account.

The above situation also occurs with units that do not have an inbuilt sim but when connected to a Mobile phone for the Traffic data they will act similarly re routing if they are logged into `My Drive.

SHMBO has phoned me asking for some info on a destination she wanted to go to and I said wait a few minutes and the route will appear on your unit.

Doug

OK, So I'll leave the 5100 set up as logged into my old email account.

They don't need to be synchronised together, I just need to transfer previous routes and POIs to the Premium.
    All sorted now - thanks for everyone's help.
    Superuser
    edited February 13
    Hi @Barrie27

Glad you are sorted

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,172 Moderator
    Hi @Barrie27

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark comments as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards, lampard
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @Barrie27

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark comments as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards, lampard

The first answer actually resolved the problem.

It just took me too long to realise that the old 5100 was actually logged into my old email account (which couldn't be changed without a factory reset) even though in the last few years, I had only updated it from the computer when logged into my current account.

I hadn't noticed this as I only used MyDrive to keep the 5100 up to date. I never used it to access routes and POIs on the 5100 or to set up new routes. I always did that directly from the device. So I was never aware that the MyDrive didn't show any saved destinations or POIs on the 5100.

Moving on, and now knowing how to transfer information between devices using different logons, rather than doing a full factory reset on the 5100 to brig it in line, I feel it is best to keep "as is" and run both devices independently.

All the help and advice was very much appreciated.