Can you plan own route to follow? — TomTom Community

Can you plan own route to follow?

TTuser44TTuser44 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
I want to plan a route to avoid roadworks and traffic.

So when I try and plan it obviously chooses the fastest route, through roads I want to a paid (not motorway etc)

Is there a way to plan an exact route you want to take?

Thanks

Answers

• JC_AUJC_AU Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    You can add waypoints. Either search for an address or find a point on the map and tap-and-hold until a flag comes up, tap on the 3 dots and select "add to current route".
  • TTuser44TTuser44 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    JC_AU wrote: »
    You can add waypoints. Either search for an address or find a point on the map and tap-and-hold until a flag comes up, tap on the 3 dots and select "add to current route".
    Can waypoints be anything, as in not buildings, addresses, POI? Can they just be a road that I want to be on?

How many can you do, as above I want a specific route.

Looking at most Nav apps I’m surprised this isn’t a normal thing to be able to do.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    edited February 2
    Hi
    @TTuser44
    Welcome to the site....
    TTuser44 wrote: »
    (Snip) Can waypoints be anything, as in not buildings, addresses, POI? Can they just be a road that I want to be on?
    Select the North-up Overview map screen by tapping the Chevron/Arrowhead above the + & - Buttons
    Note... The Chevron/Arrowhead for the North-up Overview map is much Wider/Flatter than the Chevron/Arrowhead used for the Navigation screen

gr1exmhgorwm.jpg
    Pinch-Zoom the map screen for more detail/accuracy
    To add a Location that's not your present location... 'Long tap' anywhere on the Map Screen... A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Add to Current Route'

Note... A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen will give different menu options....

A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note... When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right onto the road for the accurate placing of the Stop.....
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't accidentally put a guidance stop up a side-road... It may take you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up the road on the required route after the traffic island exit....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM