Rider 550 switching on/off over bike mount — TomTom Community

Rider 550 switching on/off over bike mount

stevenpollitt_un35stevenpollitt_un35 Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
edited February 2 in RIDER
I have a rider 550 which has suddenly started switching off for a second when on the bike mount. comes back on after a second or two. has started happening more frequently now and all of a sudden has started rotating 180 degrees as well now. anyone else had similar issues

Answers

• kieronkieron Posts: 496
    Superusers
    edited January 30
    Hi there stevenpollitt_un35 -

Try adjusting your Rider on the mount to a slightly more vertical position and that should solve the brief blanking of the screen and rotating issue.
    If the problem persists after doing this and a reset of the Rider has not improved the situation, then you can go into Settings - Appearance - Display then enable Orientation lock.
  • stevenpollitt_un35stevenpollitt_un35 Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    i can only assume its a mount problem as when it is on the car mount there are no issues
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 163 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited February 15
    Try locking the orientation as already suggested.
  • carreramiacarreramia Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the 550 for my motorcycle, and it also started having this problem: the device goes dark for seconds at a time, sometimes it lasts as long as 20-30 seconds, very disconcerting, worried that it will shut down permanently at any time during a ride on unfamiliar roads....it also switches orientation from horizontal to vertical then back....my mechanic who installed it checked the power connections and they check out fine....it’s got to be the device.....anyone experienced this and short of shelling out another $400 how did you correct it? thanks! Gus in Florida.
    Superusers
    Hi there carreramia -

Have you tried my suggestion above dated 30 January?
    Try to increase the angle more vertically in the mount in the first instance to see if that helps.
    i have been in touch with tomtom and they have agreed to take the unit back and investigate. I have an apprentice who i recommended this to and he is having the same issues. hopefully they will come back with a cause and I will forward this on when I get it
    to kieron.....yes, adjusted and re-adjusted the angle and no change, but this shouldn’t be necessary, the unit should work consistently regardless of the angle....and to steven, how do you get in touch with tom-tom!? I tried their website looking for a “technical” contact for customer and all I found was all this online stuff.....if you have a number, pls provide here...thanks for all the quick responses! Gus in Florida.
    they dont have a direct dial number anymore. you have to contact them via the website and they will respond to you. my unit is actually 6 months out of warranty and they have agreed to take it back
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,627
    Superusers
    Hi
    @carreramia
    Welcome to the site....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Impossible!!! Frustrating.!!! If I didn’t have over 1,000 routes in my 550 I wouldn’t bother....I tried the links Yaz gave me above, and it keeps taking me to the discussion page, to the forum....the red button at the bottom right corner “contact us” never stays on the screen long enough and when I do manage to click it, it sends me to the forum page.....how can a customer communicate with this people w/out all this difficulty?!
    Superusers
    edited March 5
    Hi
    @carreramia
    Using the Firefox browser....
    Clicked on the Link to Support....
    Switched the US site... Followed the tips in my post....
    The Email and chat were both OK
    (But of course Chat was outside of Office Hours for me in the UK)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited March 9
    Hi
    @carreramia
    carreramia wrote: »
    Impossible!!! Frustrating.!!! If I didn’t have over 1,000 routes in my 550 I wouldn’t bother (Snip)
    Further, options....
    Saving your 1000 + Saved Routes to your PC
    The NAV4/NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Rider 4xx & 5xx also have the "Easy route upload" option....
    My Rider 550
    g9esyvnu71d5.jpg
    The Rider 4xx/5xx will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 4xx/5xx Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 4/5xx Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to the Rider4xx/5xx
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly To and From your device’s memory using a file explorer program.....

The example below is my Rider 400... The Rider 550 uses the same "Easy route upload"
    (1)... Connect Your device via USB and this screen appears on the Rider 400
    c64613c2-b6ca-4088-a8c6-b2c72a2c765e.jpg
    (2)... Tap the Import route Icon and the Rider 400 connects to the secure "Easy route upload"
    185e7f17-03ea-4d08-9f20-aba2fc64aa84.jpg
    (3)... On your PC filing system you should see "Tomtom Rider 400" where you can drag and drop your route files directly into the Rider 400 main memory or the Micro SD Card
    33ce976f-93c9-4fc0-b9a3-60acf162b062.png
    (4)... If you haven't got a Memory card installed it only shows the Rider 400 Main memory
    f85105c8-9d58-41d8-9d25-0f7230a2be76.png
    (5)... Drag & drop your route files to the device or the Memory card
    d0e6ebb9-f0bc-4b56-b91a-5dda94b7b7c3.png
    (6)... When you're done tap "Done"
    7b1aa1e6-2953-49e8-be7c-2158437bca5c.jpg
    Note...Mac OS X....
    TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.

Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 4xx/5xx to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

See Tomtom FAQ...http://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20584/~/how-do-i-transfer-tracks-and-routes-to-my-tomtom-rider-device

End

You can also use a Micro SD Card as a transfer medium
    To transfer a route to your NAV4/5 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format your memory card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy your .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed.....

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpg
    Insert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognize the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpg
    Routes Transferred.....
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    [email protected] <[email protected]>;

this is the email address I am communicating with them at the moment. please feel free to give them a try
    my device is on its way back so we shall soon see the diagnosis. but in the mean time I have been using maps on my phone but for some strange reason it too has been losing its orientation. beginning to think it is just a motorcycle thing lol
    thanks to the recommendations, it’s now back and working .....what did I do? A lot of different things....any one of those things responsible for the results? Beats me! One was the recommendation to lock the orientation as suggested, I also down loaded a pending software update, then I went in to settings and turned off all the stuff I did not need...don’t remember exactly but I scrolled through the options and if I saw something “on” that I didn’t need or cared for, I turned it off.....so today I rode over 300 miles, five hours, and not a blink....prior to this the thing would have turned off 100 times! Hooray!!!! Thanks (I’m keeping my finger crossed, but I think thanks to you all I got it!).
    Superusers
    Hi carreramia -

Great to hear the issue seems like it has now been resolved and thank you for letting us know.
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 163 [Exalted Navigator]
    To find out what was causing your issue you need to turn on the features you turned off one by one, then you will know for sure.
    Got my device back today guys. bit vague on what they did. they said they repaired it and just re installed the software. but wont get chance to try it out till later in the seek so I will let you know how I go on. Failing that I will be speaking to carreramia lol.