rider 550 — TomTom Community

rider 550

hburtonrhburtonr Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 24 in RIDER
Hi i purchased a rider 550 last year, the first time i used it in the rain i got condensation in the screen, that dried out now i have a really bright map screen, so you can hardly see the map, i have been in contact with help @tomtom.com and 3 times i have been fobbed off with a call telling me they can do a reset on my maps but i will have to pay for the map reinstall, i argued and said that it should be a warranty issue as its not 12 months old, he said that he would get them to send me an email, guess what no email sent, so did same again and guess what, no email again, then the agent i was chatting to terminated our chat and disapeared.
are tom tom going bust ?? or is that a scam website ?

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,472
    Superusers
    edited January 21 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @hburtonr
    Welcome to the site....
    I think you may have visited one of the lookalike Scam Tomtom websites.....
    The Scam websites are visually very professional and are remarkably convincing....
    The Phone call or Chat line is where you get first get suckered in....
    Then the Support Service person (Scammer) rings you to completes the Scam....

Use the method in bullet point 1 & 2 below... To access Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    (1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844
    (2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support
    Also see my Signature for more info....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited January 21 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @hburtonr
    Welcome to the site....
    I think you may have visited one of the lookalike Scam Tomtom websites.....
    The Scam websites are visually very professional and are remarkably convincing....
    The Phone call or Chat line is where you get first get suckered in....
    Then the Support Service person (Scammer) rings you to completes the Scam....

Use the method in bullet point 1 & 2 below... To access Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    (1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844
    (2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support
    Also see my Signature for more info....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • skull66skull66 Posts: 47 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Wound up on one of these sites yesterday, got the phone call a few minutes later, realised what it was and hung up, they tried again 3 times until I blocked the number.
  • hburtonrhburtonr Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Skull66
    this is the website
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiHtZ2Qtq3uAhVS7e0KHa4oAQYYABABGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRo42Eh9S2ZRFBIyM0B9iRmpg&sig=AOD64_0S5j8pXqO5QeYt9cbqmHpGM6VkNA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwjTwpeQtq3uAhUxrXEKHdGVAl0Q0Qx6BAgKEAE
    i went on the chat then they got a technician to call me it was only when he was saying that he could reset it but i would have to pay for the maps again that i said it was under warranty and he said he would get them to send an email to start a claim, it didn't click until i did the same again today and the same routine, crafty fuckers
  • bull600bull600 Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Hi there
    I recently purchased a second hand Rider 450. I have been able to use MyDrive Connect on my computer to add the device which it now recognises (shows when connected and has S/N come up). I have been able to update the maps on the device via this connection, however, when I try and connect to MyDrive from the device it still has the email of the previous owner and asks for their password). Any idea how to overcome this?
    Cheers
    Superusers
    edited January 24
    Hi
    @bull600
    You need to Factory Reset the Rider 450....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Reset device....

Caution.... If you want to retain the existing MyPlaces and/or My Routes etc....
    You will need to run the MyDrive Web Route planner to sync the data to the Tomtom Cloud
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

Rider 450 / 420 / 42 / 410 / 400 / 40 User Manual....
    Here...https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014295300-Rider-450-420-42-410-400-40-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks very much for you reply YFM, all worked perfectly!

Cheers
    Superusers
    edited January 24
    Hi
    @bull600
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    To help others in the community....
    If my reply answered your question ???
    Then on my Reply....
    Please answer 'Yes' To... Did this answer the question? 'Yes'< >' No'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi again YFM

Firstly, your reply certainly did answer my initial question!

Another quick question.. I have imported a .gpx file into my device from my computer. I have opened the file via 'My Routes' and it has displayed on the screen. The manual states that "... your device will navigate along the gpx track exactly and will not offer to replan your route, even if a faster route is available". This is exactly what I want, however, when I checked the route on the device it has missed one small section and rerouted around it. Is there a way to override this?

Cheers

Superusers
    edited January 25
    Hi
    @bull600
    As far as I know Tomtom applies some form of tolerance filters to a .GPX Track... I think you may have run foul of these filters modifying your .GPX Track....
    Maybe user @RoadRider will pick up this post and explain how and why the tolerance filters can change/modify the Track....

I much prefer .ITN Routes
    For me .GPX tracks for complex journeys are totally useless....
    I would suspect they would also be useless for most delivery drivers

This is a small housing estate with the route visiting 20 individual Cul-de-sac/stops
    .ITN Route using the MDW Route planner
    The .ITN Route correctly visits ALL 20 of the individual Cul-de-sac/stops....
    The .GPX Track misses most of the Stops....
    For example....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1708222/#Comment_1708222

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks again for your help YFM. I use Mapsource to plan all of my routes (which I then convert to tracks) as it gives me access to a large variety of maps. Many of these have detail not found on the MDW route planner. I also run an Android phone app with the gpx file loaded. I did a ride yesterday with both operating and found that I could follow the exact track on the phone and the Tom Tom when then reroute me when I passed the section it didn't like. This will be the best of both worlds!
    ps any idea if there is a limit in the recording mode as to the file size. (ie can you leave it run on a route all day and still capture the entire ride?)
    Cheers
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 707 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi @bull600 can you share this track? So, I can do a quick check.

There are mainly two reasons why a track can change after import.

First reason: The Rider creates a route over the accessible roads on the internal map that follows the track as close as possible. When roads in your track are not on the map it will calculate the closest alternative. (this route is made to be able to give you navigation instructions and traffic information.)
    In your case you are using Mapsource so the source map is different from the TomTom map.
    All maps have different alignment. So, a road on your map can be shifted compared to the same road on the TomTom map. The same can happens with recorded tracks. GPS inaccuracy especially at (urban) cannons can create tracks that are shifted from the original roads position.
    And now we come to the second reason.
    Imation you are riding a track 30 meter right from your road. Now you have the chance the system will let you drive into side road to the right. And tells u to make a U-turn to go back to your road.
    So illogical routing like U-turns are filtered out during the calculation of routes from your track.
    Hi RoadRider
    Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to attach the .gpx file but no luck. I've just used the attach file icon then gone to the file on my computer but it won't add it for some reason? By viewing the MyDrive map on the computer it seems that the sections of track that cause issues are those that are either not on the Tom Tom map or are there but 'sketchy' by the map standard. As an example of the latter I tried setting up a route that passed along a road that is on the map but not commonly used (Rifle Range Rd - it turns into a single track nears its end)

q23cnktsu28k.jpg

This happens:

26imqhym3kpd.jpg

Somehow the map has decided that it's not a viable road and has routed around it. The problem is that many of the extended rides I plan will often pass along these type of roads or, more commonly, tracks that are only on a few detailed topo maps I use on Mapsource.

As I mentioned I can live with this as I also have alternatives that I can use (Osmand on an android phone and/or an old Garmin 60sx). I did a bit of a run today and found that I could follow the android track (which never moves from it's original track) and the Tom Tom would reroute me back once I'd passed the bit it didn't like. However, the most difficult part came when I crossed back over and followed for a short time where I had come previously (as part of loop). Then it does get confusing!

The other thing I just noticed was trying to check a .gpx track that I imported to the device that started some distance away. It begins at a campsite that is not part of a road and so the device said no route was available. I assume where ever I start finsh must be on a road that the Tom Tom recognises?

Thanks again!
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    I believe https://www.myrouteapp.com/ will be really useful for your case because it supports all of the available maps and it has a tool to do the necessary comparisons between different maps...
    Thanks Ste7ios, I'll check it out!
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 707 [Revered Pioneer]
    It looks like your road is marked not acceible on the TomTom maps or has high resistance.

I also use MyRoute App Gold. This way its easy to compare the same route with OSM, Here end the TomTom map and showing your track at the same time.