Euro ONE IQ bought in AU is trash, right? — TomTom Community

Euro ONE IQ bought in AU is trash, right?

I bought a used ONE IQ in Australia, that has European maps. I went to load the PC software and change the maps to AU, but the software install program can't be located?

I bought 'expired' garbage, didn't I?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,669
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Mephistohead
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom FAQ... End of Life Devices....
    Europe: See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car
    Australia: See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/#car

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MephistoheadMephistohead Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Well, it wasn't a lot of money, but it looks like I'm (forced) into the market for a new device. After that experience, I now know which manufacturer to AVOID LIKE COVID-19.
    Superusers
    edited January 20
    Hi
    @Mephistohead
    I'm sorry to see you have purchased an End of Life Device, but I don't see how you can hold Tomtom responsible for YOUR mistake....
    As the old saying goes... Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit....
    ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.")

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Well, someone let me have a copy of some Australian maps, and I'll shut-up. It seems the device is worth more to TomTom dead than alive, hence the denial of functionality. The device isn't at 'end of life'. It works fine, apart from the fact that TomTom refuse to permit me it's continued use.

Thanks for the links to 'fact sheets'.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,194
    Superuser
    Hi @Mephistohead

Maps are tied to the serial number of the Unit they were supplied with or bought for and so are not transferable to another unit.

The Tomtom 1 IQ was released around 2007/8 I think and only has either 1gb or 2gb of memory and no facility for adding an extra memory card. Its the lack of memory that is causing the issue as maps are continually expanding with new roads and buildings etc and have now in the case of Europe for example reached over 9gb. Interestingly the iPhone 1 released about the same time as the TT unit had its last OS update in about 2012 with IOS3

Doug
    I guess that's to be expected. They TAKE GIS data that they had no part in creating, encode it to monopolise the distribution, then SELL it to you at the maximum bearable price. More reason to hella-avoid TomTom in all dealings.
    Wow, it looks as though TomTom also TOOK open-source software, closed it against the conditions of the license, and SOLD it without making any changes public. Seems it took legal action to force them to honour their legal obligations under the software's license, in that case.

Wow, they also implemented Microsoft's FAT32, and SOLD that without obtaining a license and paying royalties.

Gee's the first thing that I'll be grinding off my new toy is the TomTom brand name. Plenty of fun to be had with the REALLY open-source software that similarly disgruntled owners have made available.
    Superusers
    edited January 22
    Hi
    @Mephistohead
    That's ancient ‘News’ everyone knows about that :) Water under the bridge....
    A few years ago Microsoft took Tomtom to court in a dispute over the Fat32 filing system, the early NAV2 devices Operating System used the FAT32 system

Around the same time Tomtom developed the NAV3 devices and locked down the updating system using a secure Network
    The latest NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices use the same secure Network system and update using Wi-Fi or USB and MyDrive Connect....

See... TomTom fights Microsoft FAT32 lawsuit with suit of its own....
    Here... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/03/tomtom-sues-microsoft-back-for-patent-infringement/

ATB YFM