Handlebar mount does not charge — TomTom Community

Handlebar mount does not charge

WaynevbWaynevb Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 19 in RIDER
My Rider 550 does not charge when connected to the handlebar mount. The connection to the 2 pins on the mount shows 0 Volts. Other accessory (Camera recorder works fine from the same power source. If I connect via the USB, the TomTom charges OK.

I don't believe this has ever worked properly from new. I see other posters with the same problem.

Should I return the cable and mount for a replacement?

Comments

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 428 [Supreme Pioneer]
    try cleaning the charging points with a cleaning chemical or alcohol
  • WaynevbWaynevb Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    There is no corrosion. The unit is less than 3 months old, has been stored in a dry garage and my multimeter has clean, sharp points to measure the voltage. Seems like a very common failure on these units. I could understand low voltage could be caused by corrosion but not zero volts.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,680
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Waynevb
    Welcome to the site....
    You are connected to a 12volt supply ???
    In the past someone was connecting the Rider Mount the to a 5volt USB port....

Have you checked the ground/earthing point of the Rider 400 Mount for a high resistance joint ??? A high resistance ground/earthing point can give the same symptoms....

A User on the Rider Forum had used a ground/earthing point on the front forks of the motorcycle and the resistance/poor connection through the headstock bearing was causing the low charging rate....
    When the user ran the ground/earth wire directly back to the battery it fixed the problem....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • stevenpollitt_un35stevenpollitt_un35 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I HAD ISSUESWITH MINE ON THE CAR MOUNT. THEY WERE MOST HELPFUL AND SENT ME A NEW CAR MOUNT AND A NEW LEAD