Ignore a waypoint along the route — TomTom Community

Ignore a waypoint along the route

bucks108bucks108 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 19 in RIDER
Can I ignore a waypoint on a route if I don’t go over the exact patch of road on the route but have passed the waypoint? The only way I’ve been able to do it is to delete the waypoint but this means the waypoint is no longer on the route and it’s a bit tricky deleting a waypoint while riding.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,648
    Superusers
    Hi
    @bucks108
    An .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • BATT550BATT550 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Route points that are imported from your device (My Routes), can't be skipped. If you plan a route (plan a Thrill) with different points and you miss one, you can skip these by going into MENU then CURRENT ROUTE, then on SKIP NEXT STOP and last on LET'S GO. This is only possible with plan a thrill routes.
    Why the TomTom IT experts can't make this work on My Routes leaves me amazed.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,648
    Superusers
    edited January 17
    Hi
    @bucks108
    A Route planned directly on the device generates a .ITN Route....

A Route planned using MyDrive Web Route planner and saved to the device using the 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' option is a .ITN Route....

A Route planned using MyDrive Connect and saved to the device using the Save & Sync option is a .GPX Track... A .GPX Track is basically a Breadcrumb track that you follow....

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up the road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

To skip/delete an .ITN Route Stop....
    With a route planned... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Route --> Skip Next stop...
    OR
    (1)... If you are on the Driving/Riding Map view
    (2)... Tap the Direction of Travel Icon (Above the + & - signs) to switch to the North-up Overview Planning Map
    (3)... Quick Tap on the Stop/Waypoint Icon you wish to ignore... A Quick menu opens with a 3Dot Icon --> Tap on the 3Dot Icon --> Tap Delete this stop....
    Note... This is only possible with .ITN Routes....
    Note... A Long Tap (Tap & Hold for + 1 Second) and a Quick tap will give different menu options

A .GPX Track does not have Stops/Waypoints... It's basically a Breadcrumb track that you follow....

Maybe Useful....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1720215/#Comment_1720215
    BATT550 wrote: »
    (Snip) Why the TomTom IT experts can't make this work on My Routes leaves me amazed.
    The .ITN Route format is a proprietary file type for TomTom devices... On the early Tomtom devices there were several different types of Stops/Waypoints available when planning a route....
    On the later/latest devices Tomtom only allow 1 type of Stop/Waypoint when planning a route....
    Wikipedia... Itinerary file
    See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerary_file

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 140 [Revered Navigator]
    edited January 17
    Guys,
    The usual excellent and extensive reply from YFM. However, having to faff about on-route to manage this problem isn't what I want to do. Simply, my gloves stop me.

I tried using routes and the way they are set to force you to doggedly ride over a list of invisible 'X marks the spot(s)" on route and then punish you for any failure stopped me using them. Once down route its all too easy to get disorientated, particularly with "Intelligent Routing", and getting forced to loop back turns to madness. Yet again I believe this supports my point that the clever people that write the code behind our units don't ever get to use them to then find out how frustrating they can be (or is it just plain dumb). They have no imagination.

It is not rocket science to manage this one. The unit will already know how close it is to the next Way-Point so should have no difficulty either popping up an icon (big enough to connect with gloves on) that will allow the user to brush-off as needed. Similarly and within a user defined distance it could be simply "ticked-off" and the unit will follow to the next Way-Point.

Also, if on route you've been near a Way-Point but are now nearer the next one the update it done for you. All this needs is a bit of imagination on the part of the developers and a couple of new options in Settings.

Basically, the current route system works for delivery drivers only, where failure doesn't get the van emptied. For anyone else its pants.

Remember, they are selling TomTom Riders as being for "motorcyclists" not just "motorcycle delivery riders".
  • MakoShark2MakoShark2 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited February 12
    Another feature removed that existed in older units...

Starting to feel the recent RIDER is rather a downgrade than an a upgrade.