Trying to update Go 60 with storage shortage — TomTom Community

Trying to update Go 60 with storage shortage

I'm trying to update a Go 60. It's currently got Europe 985.8149 (1/2017) installed. I managed to put that version on only by deleting everything else (i.e. Voices). I'd now like to recover enough storage to regain Voices, as well as updating the map.
The 985.8149 map clearly fills the device - it tells me there's only 268mb free (of 8Gb). I've installed a 32Gb microSD card, which has been recognised by both the device and MyDrive Connect.

The update process needs the NAV4 update first. When I take the update option, it hangs / fails with "waiting for device". Presumably this is because the Nav4 update is 336mb, so can't fit onto the device.
I can't unload the existing 985.. map, as it's the only one on the device, so I've been trying to load a smaller (5.5Gb) map using the menu route via 'Add a voice'. That would install to the SD card, which would then let me remove the oversize 985.. map.

However, when I make the selection of the smaller map, it downloads, but when the installer tries to upload it to the device, it hangs / fails with "waiting for device". MDC thinks the Go 60 is connected correctly, I've done the drumroll startup reset, the Go 60 thinks it's connected to the PC ..

Now stuck for a next step ..

JM

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,627
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JJMB93
    Welcome to the site....

zuc34hpfep5z.jpg
    The NAV4 devices like the Start 60 have Lifetime Maps and are fully supported by Tomtom...
    The 1st 2 characters of the serial number (the two letters in quotes in the above list) define the model....
    The two devices in the above list with 4GB of onboard memory "V8" & "VV" were probably supplied with small local maps like the UK&ROI Map
    The 8GB device were supplied with the full Lifetime Europe Map....

If you need the full Europe Map... You will need Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....

The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB
    You will NOT find enough space deleting files to install the full Europe Map... The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

@VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and allocate a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • JJMB93JJMB93 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response. The serial number starts with VC, so it's an 8Gb model, and there is a working 32Gb card now in there.

Having read some of the entries on this forum, I've already been following the route of installing a smaller map ("Europe with only buildings in UK & Ireland"), but that doesn't seem to make progress - it hits the "waiting for device" hangup. (The smaller map would leave just over 1Gb free on the device, according to the installer).

Happy to try a smaller map, but ..

JM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,166 Moderator
    Hi @JJMB93
    I have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI for your GO 60.

Regards, Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

No joy I'm afraid .. when I take the option on the UK map to "install to SD card", the download runs, checks, and then briefly shows an arrow to suggest it's trying to upload to the device, shows "waiting for device" - and then just ends. There's no error message, or confirmation message, but nothing has happened (ie the new map isn't uploaded).
    The MDC icon in the Windows tray says "Finished working with your device".

Presumably the direct install to SD card will bypass the need for the NAV4 update, but the symptoms are the same whether it's the NAV4 or the SD-direct update.

JM

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,627
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JJMB93
    Re... The 32GB SDHC Memory Card....
    Has the Card been formatted in the GO 60 to the Tomtom propriety Format for Maps ???

I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704775/#Comment_1704775

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi,
    Yes the card is formatted ok (or as far as I can tell) .. MDC recognises that it's there, and gets the size right, so I'm assuming MDC can read ok from the Go60.

I'll try the MDC deletions option and see how we go.

Cheers
    JM
    Hi,
    Once again no joy I'm afraid .. I removed the HOME3 folder, and tried again - there didn't appear to be a /MYDRIVE CONNECT/ folder, which is maybe because I'm using the Vista version. It failed in the same way - tried to upload to the Go60, and gave up without any error message.
    I tried completely reinstalling MDC, but same result.

I then tried setting up a new instance on a Windows10 PC - but the same result; download, check, briefly 'waiting for device', then ends.

It's as though it can read but not write to the Go60 for some reason ..

Frustrating.

JM
    Hi,
    Came back to this after a break - still no results with installing the UK-only map to the SD card.
    Symptoms are the same - after the download, it will either:
    1.'wait for device', and nothing further happens, with the WIndows MDC icon saying 'finished with your device'
    2.just end with no action.

There must be some way of applying the update, but at the moment it doesn't appear to be possible.
    Had one more try - installed a new 16gb sd card in the TomTom, just in case. Exactly the same issues; download completed, checked, and then nothing.
    Logs attached from this effort - if anyone can decipher them to give a lead on where to go next, that would be good.

Rgds
    JM