How do I reset my GO Premium X? — TomTom Community

How do I reset my GO Premium X?

gbargbar Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have a Go Premium X that I purchased in November 2020. Part way through a recent trip the device displayed a black screen with the 'not connected to computer' image and then shut itself down. When I try the reset method described in the help videos, the device does not display white text at any point and I am presently at a loss as to how to get the device to reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,073
    Superusers
    edited January 14
    Hi
    @gbar
    Welcome to the site....
    Firstly... Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 3Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting (Preferably not the USB ports on your PC or Laptop as they are usually rated at only 500mA (0.5 Amps)

Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....
    gbar wrote: »
    I have a Go Premium X that I purchased in November 2020. Part way through a recent trip the device displayed a black screen with the 'not connected to computer' image and then shut itself down. (Snip)
    Maybe ??? See Note (2)... below
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • gbargbar Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've tried the soft/drum roll restart to no avail.
    Using the supplied cable,the device has been charged using a third party 5v 2.4A wall charger and via the cigarette lighter socket in my car for, in both cases, more than 3 hours.
    One of the help videos suggests pressing and holding the on/off button until white text is seen then quickly pressing the on/off button 3 times etc. When I've tried that method, the white text doesn't appear.
    The unit wasn't supplied with a mains charger. Do you think purchasing an approved charger may resolve the issue?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Superusers
    edited January 14
    Hi
    @gbar
    My apologies, I've just reread your original post...
    I didn't notice the word "image"

Your device must be showing this screen ???

5r7h52utf6p3.gif
    It looks like Recovery Mode has initialized on your device....

When the device is in Recovery Mode... The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

MyDrive Connect must be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as CONNECTED on MyDrive Connect...

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    I think the device is somewhere between bullet-point (7) & (8)
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established....
    Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out
    Any attempts at a Restart... The device, will continue to display a Splash screen with image of a PC and a Red Cross or a Screen displaying a spinning disc, until Recovery mode can establish a connection to MyDrive Connect or the Server eventually times-out....

This is a Tomtom User Forum where Users help each other....

You may need to contact Tomtom Support....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    (1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... The official way to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Yes that is the screen showing on the device.
    If I run MyDrive Connect then connect the device to the computer via usb, MyDrive will intially show as connecting, switch to the smaller screen to show 'restoring your device' which then progresses to 11% or 12% then it keeps cycling but never gets any further than 12%. As MyDrive cycles, the device screen also cycles between the TomTom logo and the recovery mode screeen as above.
    Thanks
    Superusers
    edited January 14
    Hi
    @gbar
    It may be possible that @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will pick this up Tomorrow and check if there is a problem in the backend server download queue ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Ta very much.
  • Dave_DixonDave_Dixon Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but did this ever get resolved? I'm having the same problem with my TomTom Go Premium X
    Yes and no. The answers in the thread didn't resolve the issue. However, returning the device to TomTom for repair did. On return to to me a note from TomTom said that no fault was found but the device has worked flawlessly ever since.
    Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I have been using online chat to talk to TomTom about this and they are saying that my device has developed a fault and needs to be returned to them for repair but I'm concerned because they want to charge me for the repair if it's out of warranty, which it is by 4 months. So I'm reluctant to send back as I don't see that this is a fault with the device but a software issue and I shouldn't need to pay.

Can you elaborate on your computer spec? What type? How old is it? what operating system or version of Windows?

I'm using an old but not ancient Acer laptop running Windows 7. I'm suspecting, maybe, problems with device drivers but can't update them.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Its a 64bit Windows 10 system, about 18 months old I think.
    Are repair costs fixed or variable?
    edited September 22
    Ok, thanks. I have arranged to try to connect using a friends pc that is running Windows 10 on Friday but it sounds like that’s going to be a waste of time. I shall probably still try it but don’t hold out much hope.

I think the repair cost is fixed at around £100 😣 which I think is ridiculous considering the operating system seems to have got screwed up through no fault of mine.

Thanks for you help.

Dave
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,346 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Hello,
    When did you buy your GPS?

a Tomtom GPS is guaranteed for 2 years from the date of purchase I guess in England it's the same.
    Yes it is 2years but I bought mine in May 2019 so it’s 2 years and 4 months old.