Anyone with GO 60 update issues? — TomTom Community

Anyone with GO 60 update issues?

RIckHintonRIckHinton Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 13 in MyDrive Connect
Last update to my Go 60 resulted in bluetooth connectivity issues (V. 18.xxx) and I've been without the traffic and camera features for over a year. I decided today to check and see if there was a new version (which there was, 20.100.x.x) but my Go 60 just won't take it from MyDrive Connect..

It gets about 50% across the progress bar at the bottom after drumming the sound and then just reboots. It does get recognized by Windows as an attached device (the USB device connection sound and it appears in Device Manager but for a moment), but before any updates can be applied, or even downloaded, either the screen jumps to Internet Connection unavailable (which is complete nonsense, I'm watching youtube videos to help troubleshot...), or the device just simply restarts. After a handful of these failed boot up sequences, it resorts to "Restoring your device", then starts the whole process all over again.

I have tried both Windows and Mac. The Windows machine is a completely new install, never been installed before. When connected to the Mac, it pretty much does the same thing. I let it cycle this way for nearly 5 hours today, hoping that at some point the update would take, but it did not. So frustrated at this point, all I wanted was a simple update, and working traffic.

Things I've tried: I've reset to factory. I've booted from "bios". I've tried different cables. I've tried with and without SD cards. I've not tried chicken bones and voodoo just yet, but nothing I've found has helped thus far. I see a LOT of update/MyDrive issues, and not a lot of support from TomTom, which is both surprising and disappointing.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 337 [Supreme Pioneer]
    does the device have space to install new files
    you can write to customer support email-chat
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,447
    Superusers
    edited January 12
    Hi
    @RIckHinton
    Welcome to the site....

zuc34hpfep5z.jpg
    The NAV4 devices like the Start 60 have Lifetime Maps and are fully supported by Tomtom...
    The 1st 2 characters of the serial number (the two letters in quotes in the above list) define the model....
    The two devices in the above list with 4GB of onboard memory "V8" & "VV" were probably supplied with small local maps like the UK&ROI Map
    The 8GB device were supplied with the full Lifetime Europe Map....

If you need the full Europe Map... You will need Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....

The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB
    You will NOT find enough space deleting files to install the full Europe Map... The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

@VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and allocate a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,906 Moderator
    Hi @RIckHinton
    A small map has been activated for your GO 60.

Regards, Vikram
  • RIckHintonRIckHinton Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited January 13
    Thanks to all for your insight. After some additional fiddling, I got the bluetooth connected and the services activated, but I had to reset to factory defaults prior to it actually working. I lost some of my markers/waypoints because it hadn't synced from the GPS to the net in over a year, but I can put those back in as we visit those locations often. Funny thing was after I was finally able to get it MyDrive connected, it downloaded a route from a year and a half ago!

Here's more info:

S/N: VD4374F00286
    model: Go 60

Application Version 18.203.0026.311 (0) (4/05/2019)
    Installed Maps "USA Canada with US South West Buildings" v1030.9511 (Released 04/2019)

Last connected to MyDrive Connect
    01/11/2021

Free space:

281 MB Internal Memory
    31.84 GB Memory Card

The device is an 8GB unit and has a 32GB Class 10 SD card installed. Current map that is installed is less than less than 8GB, and there's about 372 MB free according to the MyDrive Connect. I remember during the last update right before our trip to the Grand Canyon that I had to pick a smaller map to put on the unit because I didn't have an SD card in it. I picked the installed map because of the South West buildings since that was the location we were going. (After getting bluetooth running it now says 520MB free??)
    YamFazMan wrote: »

I have 372 MB free according to MyDrive Connect, but the unit only reports 281 free so that might just be enough to put it in the catch 22 tailspin. Note: while writing this it has dwindled to 92MB during the continual rebooting.
    does the device have space to install new files
    you can write to customer support email-chat

Technically yes. According to MyDrive, yes (372MB available - 336 MB for Nav4 Update = 36 MB free, but probably not enough to make it work (no swap or working space?) Customer support chat was not helpful. Basically said that the MyDrive software allowed me to load a map that was just big enough to fit, but not small enough to have memory left over to do future updates, so in essence, it allowed me to effectively brick the device and prevent future updates. Works fine in the truck with the current set of maps. Customer support also said that the update had started, but would eventually time out or fail within 72 hours and I should attempt another update after that time period had elapsed.
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @RIckHinton
    A small map has been activated for your GO 60.

Thanks Vikram, but I can't even get it to boot to put that map on the device. I'm stuck at the ever rebooting PC x
    TomTom screen. It would be nice to have the ability to put maps on the SD card without having to plug the GPS unit into a computer. I have mine permanently installed and the cable hid in the A pillar behind the trim, so pulling that cable to use it on the computer update is a pain.

It is currently working with traffic, but I can't get the Nav4 updates, or the updates to the maps. Sigh.