Carminat Maps Not Showing — TomTom Community

Carminat Maps Not Showing

markisparkimarkisparki Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 11 in Map purchase & installation
Hi There
I have had to change my Grand Scenic to a new one and it came with a really old map. I have purchased a new SD card (as the old one was only 2GB and not big enough for the modern Europe map) and I have gone through the process of connecting it to TomTom HOME and transferring my associated ID and so on. I plugged the new card into the car and it updated the firmware but then a blue screen came up saying 'no maps found on the card'. Could somebody advise what has happened please?
Thanks so much....

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,704 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @markisparki
    Unfortunately, it's not possible to check or verify the authenticity of an SD card with pre-installed maps. As Doug already mentioned above there are some fake memory cards that are sold through online retailers.

My vendor says that he has supplied a Carminat Live card, which applies to Grand Scenics from 2011-13, which is my car (61 Grand Scenic) and that it won't work in the non-live Carminats.

The device linked to your account is a non-LIVE device and so it does not have a SIM card built-in.
    Again I am not sure if there are cards could have compatibility issues with LIVE and non-LIVE Carminat models.

As a temporary solution, I have re-activated the factory-installed map for the device(not the latest version). If you connect the card to the computer and check for updates a map should be offered in downloads.

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,847
    Superuser
    Hi @markisparki

It is possible there is a limit on the SD card size that will work with your unit so hopefully @VikramK can advise here what can be done.

Look back here to see what he has to say.

Doug
  • markisparkimarkisparki Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Ah, ok, thank you Doug - my new card is 8GB so hopefully it is not too large. I will wait for @VikramK as you suggest. Cheers...Mark
    Superuser
    Hi @markisparki

Good for him to know that size SD card you have used. What make of card is it as some lesser known makes have been known to have issues.

Doug
    It is a Renault Card with the little sticker on - and on the back it says 'Swissbit', Made in Germany. Hope this helps! :)
    Hi @markisparki

For the Carminat models an 8GB card should be be compatible to work. See article here- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013900980

I reviewed your account and I don't see an active subscription for map updates? Did you recently order a map update through our webshop?

Thanks, Vikram
    edited January 11
    Hi @VikramK - very much appreciate your response.

To answer your question, I didn't purchase something through your shop, but instead bought a new Renault card online. It says 'Europe Carminat TomTom Live Map Version 10.45' on it.

I had to change my car and passed over the previous card that I had bought with the vehicle when I sold it. My new vehicle had a really old card in it, hence the reason I bought this one in its entirety as the old card wouldn't take the newer versions.

When I logged into TomTom Home for the first time it asked if I wanted to bring over my old subscriptions, which I was told was a one time event and could only be done once every six months. I did that and new firmware was downloaded, which has been passed to the car, but for some reason the maps on the new card are not being detected, although they appear to be there under a directory called 'Europe'.

Is there anything further I can tell you so you can help me get my card working?

Cheers - Mark

Edit - by the way, I had to change the screen on my Carminat over Christmas as the old one had failed. I used one from a scrap car and it seems to be working fine. I did not introduce this new card to the old screen, it has only seen this new one. I don't know if this is relevant, but the old unit has a TomTom serial number on it, and so I guess the new one does too. Just in case this is important.
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    Hi @markisparki

Lest see if @VikramK can sort you out in the meantime where dd you get the card from. There have been reports on here of possible Fake Cards bring sold including from Amazon who appear to have subsequently shut down the sellers .

Doug
    Hi @DougLap and @VikramK Thanks for all your help so far...

I have spoken to the vendor and he assures me that the card is a real Europe one - and is even sending me another one just in case the card is actually funny - which I don't think it is.

I tried putting the old 8.50 version card back in and it comes up just fine and when I connect it to TTH it asks if I want to upgrade the maps at a cost of £39.95.

When I put my new card in, TTH recognises it, but there is no map upgrade option even though there are files in the Europe folder of the card - and still a no maps found error in the car. What is the way forward do you think??
    I am also confused as to whether or not I have a Carminat Live or not now...how can I check? I can't get past the 'No Maps Found' blue screen.

My vendor says that he has supplied a Carminat Live card, which applies to Grand Scenics from 2011-13, which is my car (61 Grand Scenic) and that it won't work in the non-live Carminats.

Can @VikramK or someone advise what I should do to check or to get this map working? Thanks everyone for your patience with me!
    I have looked at the ext3_loopback file in notepad and it says:

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8843

which I think means that my device is a non Live version, as the Live version should read 9884 (assuming latest version).

I guess my issue is there in that I am trying to install a Live map into a non Live Carminat, but I have a 2011 vehicle? As I mentioned before I got my faulty screen changed over Christmas - could I have received a 2010 screen which would have 'converted' my system to non-Live?

Confused!
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @markisparki
    Unfortunately, it's not possible to check or verify the authenticity of an SD card with pre-installed maps. As Doug already mentioned above there are some fake memory cards that are sold through online retailers.

The device linked to your account is a non-LIVE device and so it does not have a SIM card built-in.
    Again I am not sure if there are cards could have compatibility issues with LIVE and non-LIVE Carminat models.

As a temporary solution, I have re-activated the factory-installed map for the device(not the latest version). If you connect the card to the computer and check for updates a map should be offered in downloads.

Thanks, Vikram
    Yup - have just checked with the guy who changed my broken screen - he salvaged a non Live version to replace my original Live version, so that is solved.

Thank you to all to helped me track down this issue. I have contacted my vendor to say his cards were OK and it was my fault for purchasing a Live card when I had a non live version.

I will mark this as solved - thanks for the help everyone.
    Superuser
    Hi @markisparki

Glad you are sorted if not to the end result you would have hoped.

Doug