How can I check whether second-user TomToms have free map updates? — TomTom Community

How can I check whether second-user TomToms have free map updates?

Hi.

I'm on the lookout for a second hand TomTom, most likely a 6" Start or GO. How can I confirm whether they will come with continued free map updates?

I can obtain their serial numbers - will this do? If so, where can I enter this for checking?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,704
    Superuser
    edited January 12 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Devs

The Reset Device I have suggested if required does not change the map or operating software versions on the unit. So for example if it has the latest map on it then it will still be there after the reset. The reset deletes the data ie Tomtom account, any 3rd party POI files and any Routes saved on the unit.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,224
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Devs
    "ZE" TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi --> 1PN6.019.00 --> 16GB
    Specs... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-620/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited January 22 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Devs
    Scroll to the top of this forum page & Click Support
    At "Type Here" enter VR and Press Return/Enter

Select the offered FAQ.....
    Device details: TomTom Start (MyDrive Connect)
    Serial number prefixes: AO, AP, AY, BK, BL, BQ, WM, WN, WO, VK, VN, VS, VT, XS, XT, VG, VJ, VR, XQ, XR, VB, VE, VO, VP,

"VR" TomTom START 50 -->1FD5.013.00 / 1FD5.121.00 / 1FD5.075.00 --> 4GB
    The 4GB Start 50 devices probably only have a small local Map installed e.g.... UK&ROI and NOT the Full Europe Map....

My old Start 60 only has the UK&ROI Map installed....

ATB YFM

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 621 [Revered Pioneer]
    lifetime maps are connected with pnd so the change of ownership should not make any difference
  • DevsDevs Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 8
    Postnatal depression?!

Er, I mean I don't know what pnd stands for :-)

Do all 'GO' models have lifetime maps? That's the issue I'm trying to work out; if I buy one second hand, what are the chances - if the current owner doesn't know - of it having L-M?

Thanks.
    Superuser
    Hi @Devs

PND = Personal Navigation Device

Which particular models are you interested in. Those sold recently are likely to have Lifetime Map updates which is linked to the units serial number so change of ownership is not an issue.

Doug
    Thanks for the clarification.

It'll be a 6" effort, most likely a GO 60. Also likely to be around 5 years old so I can pick one up for around £30+ mark. When did LifeTime maps become standard for 'GO' models?

Cheers.
    I was also hoping that there would be a quick method of confirming the status of a device using its serial number? If there is, I can't find it on here!
    Ah, well, GO 60 purchased, so I'll soon know :-)
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    Hi @Devs

After you have checked it is working okay and if the previous owner has not cleared the data then do the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device

You will then have to set the unit up from scratch as was first done out of the box on original purchase and so can input your Tomtom account details.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited January 11
    Hi
    @Devs
    Welcome to the site....

zuc34hpfep5z.jpg
    The NAV4 devices like the Start 60 have Lifetime Maps and are fully supported by Tomtom...
    The 1st 2 characters of the serial number (the two letters in quotes in the above list) define the model....
    The two devices in the above list with 4GB of onboard memory "V8" & "VV" were probably supplied with small local maps like the UK&ROI Map
    The 8GB device were supplied with the full Lifetime Europe Map....

If you need the full Europe Map... You will need Install a 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....

The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB
    You will NOT find enough space deleting files to install the full Europe Map... The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

When the GO 60 arrives @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and allocate a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you, Doug and Yam, for this - very helpful indeed.

I would have been reluctant to 'wipe' it as you suggest, Doug, in case I lost the maps already on it! But I'll first follow the info Yam has given to confirm I should be ok, and then go for it.

I'll report back - hopefully it'll be turning up today.

Cheers :-)
    Superuser
    edited January 12 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Devs

The Reset Device I have suggested if required does not change the map or operating software versions on the unit. So for example if it has the latest map on it then it will still be there after the reset. The reset deletes the data ie Tomtom account, any 3rd party POI files and any Routes saved on the unit.

Doug
    Brilliant - thank you.
    Hi.

The bought Sat Nav never turned up - lost by Hermes...

There's another one - a 'GO' with a serial number starting with 'ZE' - it could be a '620' model. The seller doesn't know if it has lifetime updates. Is there any way I can tell?

Thanks again. :-)
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Devs
    "ZE" TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi --> 1PN6.019.00 --> 16GB
    Specs... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-620/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks again YamFaz.

Is there somewhere I can get this info myself without having to pester you all the time?

There's another one I'm looking at that has a serial number beginning with VR - how would I go about finding out which model it is without having to keep on asking?!

Cheers.
    Superusers
    edited January 22 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Devs
    Scroll to the top of this forum page & Click Support
    At "Type Here" enter VR and Press Return/Enter

Select the offered FAQ.....
    Device details: TomTom Start (MyDrive Connect)
    Serial number prefixes: AO, AP, AY, BK, BL, BQ, WM, WN, WO, VK, VN, VS, VT, XS, XT, VG, VJ, VR, XQ, XR, VB, VE, VO, VP,

"VR" TomTom START 50 -->1FD5.013.00 / 1FD5.121.00 / 1FD5.075.00 --> 4GB
    The 4GB Start 50 devices probably only have a small local Map installed e.g.... UK&ROI and NOT the Full Europe Map....

My old Start 60 only has the UK&ROI Map installed....

ATB YFM
    Perfect - thank you :-)
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Devs
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Er, one more Q please :-)

I'm not concerned about maps beyond the UK, so a 4GB jobbie is fine for me if that's what i happen to end up with. But I still can't tell if they are free-map updatable.

One is an 4EN62 Start model with serial number starting 'WN'. This comes up as a Start 'My Drive Connect' model with 4GB capacity.

Is this enough to determine that I can update the UK map FOC should I purchase it?

Cheers.
    Sorted - yes it is enough. :-)

Got one at last - a Start 60 4GB version with UK and ROI, which is fine as it'll be all I'll need.

Also now fully updated using My Connect, with - weirdly - nearly 3GB free?

Anyhoo, all sorted - huge thanks to everyone.