Extremely slow boot on S20+ 5G Android 11 — TomTom Community

Extremely slow boot on S20+ 5G Android 11

Trankil0Trankil0 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
It takes about one minute to start the Go app.
Loading "my places" about 5 to 10 seconds.
Same for the search option.

I already deleted the app and reinstalled, but no change.
This is really frustrating and never happened before.

Is the Go app Android 11 compatible?

Best Answer

Answers

• tgoldtgold Posts: 2,185 [Revered Voyager]
    Trankil0 wrote: »
    It takes about one minute to start the Go app.
    Loading "my places" about 5 to 10 seconds.
    Same for the search option.

I already deleted the app and reinstalled, but no change.
    This is really frustrating and never happened before.

Is the Go app Android 11 compatible?
    Go Navigation under Android 11 works for me without any significant start-up delay or greater than under Androids 9 and 10.

• Trankil0Trankil0 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    It started after I recently upgraded my phone.
    Now that tgold dismissed this update to 11, has anyone any idea what may cause this problem?

• paba2paba2 Posts: 28
    Staff
    @Trankil0 are you using external SD card? Can you try without it?
    paba2 wrote: »
    @Trankil0 are you using external SD card? Can you try without it?

1hanpdkuqa7f.jpg

Good suggestion, but no I'm not using an SD card.
    edited January 8
    paba2 wrote: »
    @Trankil0
    This is just size of app binary, looks like maps regions are stored on external storage.

On s20 "Change" storage used will only move app binary but not its data.

Anyway something happened after Android 11 upgrade but it seems to only bother Samsung s20 users with external SD card.

What you can do for now is uninstall app with SD card inside.
    Remove SD sdcard and install app again with regions (assuming you have space on internal disk). Add SD card again.

I was expecting a shandy no brand SD card to com out of my phone. Lots of those lying around in the house. But it turns out to be a Samsung Evo plus card I requested on purchase, but forgot about.

Installing the app and all the European maps whiteout the SD card took abt ~20min.
    Last reinstall with only half the maps took ~6hrs, then gave up.

App starts in ~3 sec as before. After reinserting the SD card and soft reboot of the phone it continues to work fast and flawlessly.

I can't find the option for this setting to write to the SD card or internal storage sadly. But this workaround is not to bad and hopefully continues to work after an map update.

Thanks to all of you for your support. Greatly appreciated!
  • KodloNKodloN Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 14
    The same problem on my Samsung S10e after the Android 11 update.
    It takes about 2 minutes to start the app.
    (SD card: SanDisk microSDXC UHS-I U3 128GB SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA)
  • scoobyflewscoobyflew Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have an S20+ too and i
    Tom Tom is running like a dog
    , high quality 400gb Sd card.
    Installed and ran fine for months.
    Not sure what the Tom Tom devs are messing at.
    After the major last diabolical update which pretty much ruins 2D mapping it would seem that they are trying to force customers away from their app.
    I have Copilot too and it loads in 10s, not 60s like Tom Tom.
    They need to sort this out.
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 35 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited February 20
    I very much agree. @scoobyflew
    I have a Note 10+ but I can say for sure that the 1.8xxx version application was much more stable and faster.
    (Not to mention the Tab S5e. Well, version 2.xx hardly works, even though 1.8xxx ran very well.)
    It’s as if the developers have forgotten how to program or fired the good ones.

NDS maps are updated ridiculously slowly (I mean the process itself takes half an hour on each week) and cannot be compared to the quality of old maps.

Of course, I’m almost certain that no TomTom employee will take my comment seriously. ;)
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 81 [Supreme Navigator]
    edited February 20
    Have you guys tried to reinstall the APP without the SDcard inserted as that did solve it for me.
    It seems to be an Samsung Android 11 issue?
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 35 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited February 20
    JvdZ wrote: »
    Have you guys tried to reinstall the APP without the SDcard inserted as that did solve it for me.
    It seems to be an Samsung Android 11 issue?

There is no SD card in my Note10+.
    The SD card is exactly the same as before in Tab 5se.
    I have been uninstalled TT. Cleaned/ cleared all TT related folders, files etc... and reinstalled TT on both devices several times.

The tablet has become so slow with the new version that I prefer not to use it anymore.

Note 10+ starts slowly, but not so bad after that. However, every one -two hours without any precedent, the TT disappears (quits, hangs, something ...). And it can only be restarted if I use "Force stop" or restart the entire phone.

For me it is 100% clear, that is the faulty developed TT version.
    It was a very very bad decision to retire the 1.8xx version before this s.. . -- bad -- TT 2.xxx is not prepared properly.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,120
    Community Manager
    We have seen issues in regards to slow start-up with Samsung S20 devices runnig Android 11. At this point of time it's best to uninstall the app, unmount the SD card and reinstall the app.
  • HijlkoRoosjenHijlkoRoosjen Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Every navigation app, like TomTom Go, TomTom navigation (nds maps), Sygic and navigator were very slow and updating/installing maps took a long time on my Samsung S10+ after update to android 11. Removing the apps and SD card, reinstall without SD card inserted, insert SD card after installation and downloading maps, everything worked fast. Checking for updates of the maps is also very fast now.