Bluetooth as Phone Call — TomTom Community

Bluetooth as Phone Call

LipscombeLipscombe Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze all have options to play navigation over Bluetooth as HFP (Hands Free Phone) or “Play as Bluetooth Phone Call”.

I have not found this option in the iOS version of the app.

This means Bluetooth navigation instructions and alerts are not played and the driver never heard then.

I have switched the audio output to “iPhone” but this setting does not stick/save between application uses. It has to be fine every time (not so with Google Maps or Waze).

Therefore, it is difficult to get TTGo to announce navigation instructions on the iPhone itself or over Bluetooth.

This kind of makes the app kind of useless as a navigation app.

Am I missing something or a setting to either have the audio always routed through the iPhone itself or payed over Bluetooth?
Tagged:

Answers

• RicoKRicoK Posts: 161 [Revered Navigator]
    Hmm, strange, for about 6 months now I am using Apple CarPlay so I do not know if and what has been changed eventually with TomTom’s latest updates, but before, I have used TomTom through Bluetooth with my Car stereo and/or Parrot Mini Handsfree kit. This without any issue.
  • smudger64smudger64 Posts: 73 [Supreme Navigator]
    Lipscombe wrote: »
    Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze all have options to play navigation over Bluetooth as HFP (Hands Free Phone) or “Play as Bluetooth Phone Call”.

I have not found this option in the iOS version of the app.

This means Bluetooth navigation instructions and alerts are not played and the driver never heard then.

I have switched the audio output to “iPhone” but this setting does not stick/save between application uses. It has to be fine every time (not so with Google Maps or Waze).

Therefore, it is difficult to get TTGo to announce navigation instructions on the iPhone itself or over Bluetooth.

This kind of makes the app kind of useless as a navigation app.

Am I missing something or a setting to either have the audio always routed through the iPhone itself or payed over Bluetooth?

Bot sure what's happening there? My Iphone just connects to the car and all TT instructions, warnings etc. automatically play over the car stereo (as long as its on). The fact you're having to change your audio output, would I would have thought meant the phone played them instead.
  • LipscombeLipscombe Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If I turn my stereo on, and set the radio to media, then the instructions work. But then the radio is gps only, no music, etc.

Apple Maps has the HPF option. Google Maps has the Play as Bluetooth Phone Call option, as does Waze.

This means radio can be on or off. If on, it can be playing a CD or listening to a radio station. That audio will be interrupted for navigation instructions.

Does not seem that TTGo can do this.

I emailed support and to see if it is possible.

The other issue is I would just have the audio navigation instructions Play through the phone itself instead of Bluetooth, which you can do, but it has to be manually configured every time you turn on the app. The setting does not save my preference like Waze and Google.

Waze does audio right, but I hate the app with all the advertising. TTGo is pretty slick except it does not handle basic Bluetooth as well as the others.
  • LipscombeLipscombe Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doing some research on this issue and people have had this very issue as far back as 2014. That is seven years ago and it has never been fixed. Wow. Makes me question about signing up for the subscription.