Is the TomTom Rider 550 waterproof?

Stu7
Stu7 Registered Users Posts: 53
Master Explorer
edited December 2020 in RIDER
Hi there,

I’m about to purchase a Rider 550 however I am hoping to get some feedback for 500/550 owners before I purchase. I’ve had two 400’s and a current 40 and all 3 devices have formed condensation behind the screen. The reason I’ve had 3 is because they have been replacements and I gave up sending another one back. The latest one doesn't appear to be as bad as the other two however the device claims to be waterproof yet I’ve encountered this moisture problem.

Has anybody had any issues with there 500/550 with moisture getting in and causing condensation behind the screen?

Cheers - Stu

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,535
    Elite Voyager
    Hello The problem of condensation behind the screen on the 400/40 a models was corrected on the new Rider 500/550
  • Stu7
    Stu7 Registered Users Posts: 53
    Master Explorer
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Hello The problem of condensation behind the screen on the 400/40 a models was corrected on the new Rider 500/550

Hi @Willy875 thats awesome news. Thanks for your input. Have an awesome night/day.
    Cheers - Stu 😎
  • Steve65
    Steve65 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 7
    No it wasn’t. I have a 500 and I rode in the rain for half an hour a few days ago and now have condensation on the screen that reappears every day and takes hours to dissipate even in 35c heat.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,149
     Superuser
    edited August 7
    Hi
    @Steve65
    Also check if the rubber bungs over the USB port and the Micro SDHC card slot are >> FULLY << Pushed home & level with the case....
    The device is open to the weather if they not fully seated....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 179
    Exalted Navigator
    edited August 7
    @Stu7 , would suggest "waterproof" No, perhaps proof against a good hosing in heavy rain maybe. Never had a problem with my old Rider 2 which took a massive hosing both times I crossed the Rhine. I've not yet had a problem with my Rider 550.

Something to consider is bike vibration as manifested where your SatNav is clamped. If it ever gets to buzz or resonate then I would suggest some moisture egress is inevitable. My Riders were/are on a Triumph Tiger1050 which is very smooth both road bumps and engine vibrations.