What is wrong with the Report Speed Camera feature? — TomTom Community

What is wrong with the Report Speed Camera feature?

Crocket59Crocket59 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
I used to have a Tom Tom in car device, then the original 'lifetime' App for iPhone, now the Go Mobile (V2.3.1). My opinion is they have progressively gotten worse and have lost features and/or ease of use of features.
Just a few questions:
1. I have used the Report Speed camera button at the bottom and it just says 'reporting' then 'thanks'. There is no option to choose between temporary mobile speed camera (like on the original app did), or fixed or traffic light. Why not? Also when I report a mobile camera and drive passed that same camera 5 - 15 mins later there is no alert! I have live traffic functioning so it appears it is not adding the camera. Is there a specific number of people that have to 'report' it before it is added? This is ridiculous if in a small population of Tom Tom uses as it may never get added. Remember these are temporary mobile cameras and need to be put in the traffic system ASAP.
2. Will this Go Mobile app alert me to added temporary speed cameras (or fixed ones)... if no route has been selected and I just have it on during general travel in case others have reported a new speed camera on the streets/roads I happen to be on?
3. I have added a fixed camera via this button many times over the course of a few years and it never shows up as an alert. It just thanks me for reporting. Why?
4. There are many incorrect speed limits shown on segments of a route that I travel several times a year. It used to be easier to correct these with old devices /app. Now it is a pain and obviously no one (including Tom Tom maps people) has bothered.
5. To be honest, I was forced by Tom Tom to change from my old iPhone App (lifetime map updates), to this Go Mobile one with 3 years of free maps. I like to be brand-loyal if I am treated well, though I am not totally impressed with Tom Tom now and when my 3 years is up will likely move to another Brand. Looking at better options now and some are included with in car dash cameras that I am looking at (Garmin, Navman etc.). It seems to be hard to get to talk with anyone at Tom Tom support or get any questions or concerns answered.

Hopefully someone can help me with these concerns and thanks in advance.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,445
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Crocket59
    Welcome to the site....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Crocket59Crocket59 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @YamFazMan

I don't know if you are a part of the TomTom Support team or not, though seeing as you are classed as a SuperUser, are you able to give me advice on each of the 5 concerns I have listed above? It would be greatly appreciated and helpful to me (and I suspect others as well).
    BTW, the two links you listed above just keep auto-diverting to this forum home page. Probably because I am logged it to access your comment/links?

Thanks,
    C
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @Crocket59
    Crocket59 wrote: »
    I don't know if you are a part of the TomTom Support team or not, though seeing as you are classed as a Superuser (Snip)
    'NO' just a user like yourself....
    The 1st link in my previous post is to a list of tips to access Tomtom support.....

Just checked the Australian Support... Email & Chat from the UK
    Using the tips below... Works OK for me....

imu175qvx19k.jpg

End

Contact Support
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended....

For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines....
    (Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

Scroll to the top of this page and Click on 'Support'

A New window opens.... Tomtom Support.....
    (1)... Make sure you are on the correct Tomtom Support page for your Country....
    (2).... Scroll to the bottom of the screen and check the Flag Icon...
    If incorrect click on the displayed Flag Icon....
    (3)... A New Flag/Language window opens....
    (4)... Click on the correct Flag/Language for your Country Tomtom Support site....

Important...
    You MUST Log into the Tomtom Support page (Screen top right)
    'BEFORE' you click on the 'Contact us' Button....

To enlarge image... Right Click on Image & Select View image....
    Click on the browser 'Back button' to return
    yfwy8zmbaf0n.jpg
    Note... if the 'Contact us' button is not displayed...
    Refresh your Browser page....

wume10eawo4y.jpg
    Click on 'Contact us'
    A New window opens....
    Wait a few seconds for the 'Get in touch' Button to appear....
    Click on the 'Get in touch' Button

rte7u4xykv1q.jpg
    Select Email or Chat...
    Then follow the on screen instructions....

iovz0bbytvdt.jpg
    Note... Chat lines...(Normal Weekday Office Hours)....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @Crocket59
    The 'Is a Speed Camera still there' request is only issued if someone has recently reported a Speed Camera to be present, the warning should remain active for 2 to 3 hours unless someone else reports the Camera van still there, or it has moved on
    The Tomtom Mobile camera database has always been that way
    I have also seen and NOT been warned about the Mobile Camera Vans, but I always report one if I see it, so I guess the Tomtom users for the next couple of hours received a warning

i.e... A while ago on Woodbury Lane Worcester I spotted a Police Motorcycle speed check/trap... I received no warning
    I tapped the 'Report a Speed Cam' button....
    On the return journey I received a warning and a confirmation 'Is the Camera still there request'

ca783271-5bf6-4262-b15c-a82734b06077.png

I prefer camera the 3rd party Speed camera database that I use on my NAV3 devices, I don't mind the false positives, but it can get a little irritating along the A449 with the sheer amount of false positives
    The Tomtom 'Smart' Speed Camera database is so that people aren't annoyed by false positive Speed Cam warning
    I wish Tomtom would offer the best of both worlds
    A choice between their 'Smart' system that relies on other users reporting the Cameras
    Or an option to Warn about the location of each Camera whether it's a live Camera location or a false positive

Note... I find the 'Report a Speed Camera' button is greyed out when approaching a known Speed Cam site and the button only becomes active immediately adjacent to the Speed cam location....

For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Serena or Malcolm here in the UK
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    Along with the standard triple 'dong dong dong' warning the device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited January 11
    Thanks for your further help and info :)

A Tom Tom Chat Rep I just conversed with was trying to tell me there is no way to report temporary speed cameras with the Go Mobile app and that feature is just for 'fixed' cameras, which then get verified and added to the actual map file. He said temporary cameras get 'picked up' by the software.
    I told him I believe he is wrong. He also gave me some other bad info.
    See part of the chat here:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-au/requests/1133221
    Have escalated it to their techs / supervisor.
    kxu85v5nzlhu.jpg
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Crocket59
    Firstly, I hardly ever use the Tomtom App...
    I mainly use A 6" GO Premium device....
    On the dedicated Tomtom devices you can definitely report Speed Camera... but you cannot define the camera type or the direction of traffic flow....
    I always report a Speed Cam which ever side of the road it's located....

The Plus 60% Speed Cam trigger point must surely be a Typo ??? Probably 6.0%

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

Yes, he mucked up. He stated the 60% Over the speed limit a few times. When I said he must be wrong he checked and then said you will only get a speed camera alert IF you are doing at least 60% OF the speed limit for that area, (not 60% OVER it as he had been previously saying).
    I also questioned his advice that the 'Mobile Go' app (which I use on my iPhone somehow detects the mobile temporary speed cameras. I said I can't see how that is possible, given iPhones don't have radar detecting capability and anyway it would be too late once you are in range of a radar. The whole idea is to know of one's location well ahead of it's speed detection range. He didn't seem to know any more than the script he was reading from and that didn't seem to make sense.
    I used to have a TomTom GO 730 device quite some years ago, but switched to the iPhone app (AU$75) when it came our for convenience sake (only need on device in the car.) I'm certain the first Tom Tom app version had the ability to not only report speed cameras but choose between fixed or mobile camera. This latest Go Mobile has lost some features (including that one). In fact, that rep was saying the Report Speed Camera bitton is only for reporting 'Fixed' cameras??? That doesn't seem right to me? Fixed cameras are added to the actual Map release. Temporary mobile cameras are alerted via the Live Traffic service which i use. As far as i can see the only way these can get added is via the user device (or in my case iPhone app button?).
    Hope to get a reply from the Tom Tom techs soon.
    Feel frustrated and a bit let down, enough to look to other providers when my subscription runs out.
    I've done a few checks the last few days with a planned route active and no route active where I have 'Reported' a speed mobile camera (even though there wasn't) in streets near me. When I have gone back around passed it again to check there is no alert and it isn't showing at all. I would have deleted it if there was.
    Reporting mobile cameras doesn't seem to be working on my iPhone Go Mobile, (even though it says 'Thank You' when i use the reporting button.