TomTom Rider 550 - text messages help? — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 550 - text messages help?

Stu7Stu7 Posts: 45 [Master Explorer]
edited January 19 in RIDER
Hi There
Can anyone tell me more about the messages feature on the Rider 550 please. Without a headset can the text messages be viewed on screen or only be read out loud via speaker or headset? So my question really whilst riding if I get a message can I press the message and read the entire message? Thank you in advance.
Cheers - Stu

Best Answer

• raesewellraesewell Posts: 142 [Supreme Navigator]
    Accepted Answer
    The unit is designed to be used with a phone AND a headset if you choose not to use a headset then you lose some functionality.

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 634 [Revered Pioneer]
    You see a small pop-up message showing that there is a message and who send you the message.
    Then you can click to readout the message on your headset.

See this Dutch video for an example @ 7:22
  • Stu7Stu7 Posts: 45 [Master Explorer]
    RoadRider wrote: »
    You see a small pop-up message showing that there is a message and who send you the message.
    Then you can click to readout the message on your headset.

See this Dutch video for an example @ 7:22

Hi RoadRider,
    So if I don’t have a head set then this function is useless? As it doesn’t show you what the text message says it just reads it to you via a voice message, is that correct?
    Cheers - Stu
    Never tested it but i think the message will also be played on the speaker.

In your car this will work and on your bike you need an headset.
    Thanks RoadRider. It seems a waste that the text message cannot be viewed on screen like a mobile phone for those of us who do t use head sets. Odd!
    This way is saver when you drive.
    Cheers 😊
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 142 [Supreme Navigator]
    Accepted Answer
    The unit is designed to be used with a phone AND a headset if you choose not to use a headset then you lose some functionality.
    raesewell wrote: »

Thank you Raesewell - Cheers Stu
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 106 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    raesewell wrote: »

Yep. Not only do you get to spend a shed load of money buying your Rider you have to spend another shed load on a SMART phone and headset.

Again with a bit of imagination the developers could have presented the text message on screen PROVIDING the units was not moving. In the same way my old Rider 2 would receive calls on the move but not allow outbound calls unless stopped. Its a safety thing. Plus you didn't need a SMART phone.