I'm looking for info re updating GPS using a Mac — TomTom Community

I'm looking for info re updating GPS using a Mac

corconxcorconx Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 10 in MyDrive Connect
I have been using a GPS for 20+ years, initially tried TomTom but didn't get on with it, sound using phone was too quiet. So since then have always used Garmins.

However, A year ago I purchased the 780Camper, and it has taken the year to get a refund, because it would not work with a Mac. They kept saying it would, and we went around houses, but they have finally agreed and changed their web site to the fact that it works on WINDOWS.

I do NOT want to do this again, so have a fairly simple question, I know they can update over WIFI (the newer ones) but for new maps when abroad, that isn't necessarily convenient, due to data limits) but I do wish to add MY POI's (not campsites etc.,) and that does need the use of a computer, in my case a macbook M1 chip.

So can anyone in Sales point me in the direction of the models that are suitable please.

I am looking to buy and do not want to waste anyone's time.

Thank you
Carol

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,904
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @corconx

The GO Camper comes with access to 4 Camper specific maps covering Europe, North and South American and Oceania together with the ability to download at no extra cost all the Car based maps that Tomtom offer so in many ways the World is covered. All the maps are offered with lifetime updates. The unit has 16gb of internal memory and you can add a 16gb or Max 32gb Micro SD Class 10 memory card which means that you can have all 4 Camper maps on the unit all the time. There would be space for another small map or 2 but if necessary you could insert a second card and load some maps to that and swop the cards as required.

So with some planning the likelihood is you can have all the maps you are going to need before you start your travels and the only need for Data whilst away will occur if you decide to do any updating which you can limit to the only map you want to update at the time.

The GO Camper does not need a computer for updating unless you have no Wifi available or if the Wifi is a little slow or in the unlikely event that you need to Recover the device if there is a major issue.

Regarding the addition of 3rd Party POI's this will require the use of a PC however as POI files tend to be quite small the data requirement is small. To load a POI and Routes you go to the My Drive Website and log into your account. Once logged in you add the POI files to your account then the files are transferred to the unit. See video

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

It should be noted that the GO Camper comes with five specific Camper related POI files such as Campercontact already loaded.

If you are in Europe, which I assume will be the region you will buy the unit in, then having added the POI and Route files to your account via the My Drive Website when the GO Camper is started and it logs into your Account on the Tomtom servers using its inbuilt mobile sim it will download the files to the unit. There are no data costs for using the inbuilt Mobile Sim. If you are outside Europe then linking the GO Camper to your Mobile Phone will facilitate the link to the TT servers via Bluetooth for Traffic etc and use the data on your phone.

The GO Camper can be set to create routes for a Car, a Car and Caravan or Small or Large motorhome with other than the car setting enabling you to input the vehicle dimensions and weights etc. If you buy a Car unit then be awry that only the Premium models has an inbuilt Mobile sim so within Europe there is no need to link to your phone.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @corconx

POI files are ov2 format and the Go Camper I am talking about is the current Wifi model.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @corconx

The GO Camper comes with access to 4 Camper specific maps covering Europe, North and South American and Oceania together with the ability to download at no extra cost all the Car based maps that Tomtom offer so in many ways the World is covered. All the maps are offered with lifetime updates. The unit has 16gb of internal memory and you can add a 16gb or Max 32gb Micro SD Class 10 memory card which means that you can have all 4 Camper maps on the unit all the time. There would be space for another small map or 2 but if necessary you could insert a second card and load some maps to that and swop the cards as required.

So with some planning the likelihood is you can have all the maps you are going to need before you start your travels and the only need for Data whilst away will occur if you decide to do any updating which you can limit to the only map you want to update at the time.

The GO Camper does not need a computer for updating unless you have no Wifi available or if the Wifi is a little slow or in the unlikely event that you need to Recover the device if there is a major issue.

Regarding the addition of 3rd Party POI's this will require the use of a PC however as POI files tend to be quite small the data requirement is small. To load a POI and Routes you go to the My Drive Website and log into your account. Once logged in you add the POI files to your account then the files are transferred to the unit. See video

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

It should be noted that the GO Camper comes with five specific Camper related POI files such as Campercontact already loaded.

If you are in Europe, which I assume will be the region you will buy the unit in, then having added the POI and Route files to your account via the My Drive Website when the GO Camper is started and it logs into your Account on the Tomtom servers using its inbuilt mobile sim it will download the files to the unit. There are no data costs for using the inbuilt Mobile Sim. If you are outside Europe then linking the GO Camper to your Mobile Phone will facilitate the link to the TT servers via Bluetooth for Traffic etc and use the data on your phone.

The GO Camper can be set to create routes for a Car, a Car and Caravan or Small or Large motorhome with other than the car setting enabling you to input the vehicle dimensions and weights etc. If you buy a Car unit then be awry that only the Premium models has an inbuilt Mobile sim so within Europe there is no need to link to your phone.

Doug
  • corconxcorconx Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you. That sounds like a way to do it. What format do they use for POIs, is it still ov2?

Is it just the GO Series?

Carol
  • corconxcorconx Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry one last thing. Go Camper when we’re these made is it a 2020 model?
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @corconx

POI files are ov2 format and the Go Camper I am talking about is the current Wifi model.

Doug