Can I just plug the 550 into the USB and have it power the GPS? — TomTom Community

Can I just plug the 550 into the USB and have it power the GPS?

Rich1325Rich1325 Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited December 2020 in RIDER
I have a USB plug on my bike. Can I just plug the 550 into the USB and have it power the GPS? Do I have to direct wire it?

Best Answers

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 754
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    USB port isn’t waterproof when used. I also afraid that with frequent usage the rubber seal will fail...

The best is to wire it on a switched power accessory line or use a relay to avoid battery depletion.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Rich1325
    If you are thinking of using the USB Port on the Rider 4xx/5xx ???

u2t8ww7s2aq3.jpg
    I hope you live in a dry area of the States....
    Or the first ride in the rain using the Rider will surely be it’s last :o

Stay safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 754
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    USB port isn’t waterproof when used. I also afraid that with frequent usage the rubber seal will fail...

The best is to wire it on a switched power accessory line or use a relay to avoid battery depletion.
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 706 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @Rich1325 ,

As well as questions about being waterproof, there is a possibility that your USB Port does not provide enough Power!

TomToms are fairly Power-Hungry & some USB Ports are simply not powerful enough - some can only provide 500mA, whereas TomToms usually need more than 1A (i.e. more than a 1,000mA)!

Obviously, I don't know what your USB can Deliver, but you could always try it!
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Rich1325
    Welcome to the site....
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Car's USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Rich1325Rich1325 Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you. The USB on my bike says 5V 2.1A. So I guess it should work. I have all original cables.
    Superusers
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Rich1325
    If you are thinking of using the USB Port on the Rider 4xx/5xx ???

u2t8ww7s2aq3.jpg
    I hope you live in a dry area of the States....
    Or the first ride in the rain using the Rider will surely be it’s last :o

Stay safe... ATB YFM

Thank you all! My plan is to carry "cling" food wrap with me and if it rains, unplug the Tomtom and let it get me home on it's own power and cover and wrap the USB plugs (which do have caps) with "Cling food wrap to keep them dry.
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 158 [Revered Navigator]
    Why?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,702
    Superuser
    Hi @Rich1325

If the USB socket on your bike is anything like those in Cars then the power output is frequently only 0.5A. As a result whilst it will enable the TT unit to work it will fail to provide sufficient further charge to maintain the battery level and so the unit is liable to shut down at some stage depending on how charged out was when you started.

Doug
    The USB on my bike says 2.1A. Could that be correct? Could it work? Look to the left on the photo;7stwgbsozp6s.jpg
    The cling wrap would keep the water out of the connections...