CarPlay alternate route — TomTom Community

CarPlay alternate route

CarlPJCarlPJ Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
Hi there
On the latest update (Dec 8th 2020) I was expecting an alternative route button somewhere on CarPlay screen itself a bit like Waze when you hit the route information at the bottom of the screen. Have I misunderstood this update.

Comments

• RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    I can join with @CarlPJ 's post. I was also expecting more possibilities.

As you may know I am a Happy Wazer for the last months awaiting for the issues with CarPlay being solved. For now I will keep on using Waze. Why can't TomTom build in a some sort of possibilities like Waze can?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,704
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @CarlPJ

Prior to the latest Update when using CarPlay I have had notification of faster routes. My Interpretation of the latest update is that on the PND units you can see an alternative route indication in the Route Bar, in Green, and on the main display when you reach the junction at which the faster route starts from if you take the turning for the Green Faster route then the PND unit then directs you along the faster route you have steered into. My assumption is that the Nav App now has the same facility so you can drive along your current route and then decide when you get to the turning for a faster route you can then take that Faster route or continue along the originally offered route and it will direct you based on your decision.

Doug
  • CarlPJCarlPJ Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Doug
    Thanks for you reply. I not sure what you mean by "My Interpretation of the latest update is that on the PND units you can see an alternative route indication in the Route Bar". I am not sue what a PND unit is and I might not have this in my car. Mine is a shop bought Pioneer unit to replace the rubbish Ford unit that was standard with the car at the time. I don't see a route bar on my unit only on the phone itself and I can work that out ok. Maybe because I set up for the faster route I don't see this update which is disappointing as this is handy to see my choices on the go especially on the motorway
    Thanks again
    Carl
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,704
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @CarlPJ

A PND (Personal Navigation Device ) is a unit like the Tomtom GO Premium etc.

Yes you don't see the Route Bar when in CarPlay mode as Apple dictate the Templates which are the basis for an App to be displayed in CarPlay mode and there is not one that will show the Route Bar that appears on the iPhone and PND displays.

Regarding the comment my Interpretation stems from the fact I am currently unable to try the latest App but based on the pictures they look similar to the displays on units like the GO Premium etc. On the GO Units you are advised of a faster route and can Tap the Route bar message to accept the faster Route offered. Alternatively you can still follow the current route until you reach the junction where the Faster Route, displayed in Green, starts from when you can decide to take the faster route or not.

Doug
  • CarlPJCarlPJ Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    To @DougLap @RicoK
    Hi Doug thanks for explaining that to me. I understand now though this is still a detail Waze app has over the Tom Tom but it’s getting better
  • JonCurtisJonCurtis Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    I agree it would be very useful to search for alternative routes through the Car Play screen rather than the phone itself
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,210 Moderator
    Hi there,

Sorry about my late reply. I don't think there's a button on the CarPlay display to check the alternate routes. We show (in a different color) a possible upcoming alternative without you're asking for one, and then if you start driving on it, it will activate that alternative. We call it "decide by steering".

You can chose it just by driving there or not by continuing on the current route so there is no direct interaction with the app.

Regards, lampard