Premium voices and TomTom voice activation — TomTom Community

Premium voices and TomTom voice activation

Rom2509Rom2509 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
I recently had my Darth Vadar voice installed on my new device (Go Extreme) from my old (One XL) which worked fine with directions while driving, but when I used voice activation via 'Hello TomTom', Darth's Vadar's voice did not come on. Instead, a voice that was already installed on the device came on.
Is this normal ?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,704
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Voice Control requires you to have a computerised voice to be selected in order for it to work. Darth Vardar is a recorded voice.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Your Welcome

Having. Computerised voice as your preferred choice gives the opportunity to have more detailed directional information. For example a recorded voice means you only get a sound as a Speed Camera warning but a Computerised voice gives you a sound followed by an announcement that there is a Camera and what type of Camera it is.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

1. There is not an option that prevents the unit starting if you attach the GO unit to a power source.

2. Re wall chargers I suspect that if they are USB sockets than they will be quite limited in output and you can use them to charge your Smartphone. The Tomtom cig socket that is supplied with your unit has an output of 5V 1.2A and that is sufficient to run the unit and charge it as well. If you insert the USB cable into a Cars USB sockets then as they often only provide 0.5A output this is not capable of running and maintaining sufficient charge and the TT unit can shut down if run for some time.

3. Regrettably the current range of TT units do not have a facility to add a Security Pin.

4. The units Wifi will always be on but will not link to any other sources other than those you have related it too. You can only forget the Input Wifi data and if you do that then you would have to reload the Password etc.

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Here is the wording from a post by a TT employee that answers your question when discussing one of the other models..

The model is designed to be used for car navigation and has to be connected to a power supply that can provide an OUTPUT of 5V and a maximum of 2A (depending on the charger). This is the maximum a TomTom device can be charged with without damaging the battery.

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,210 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark Doug's comment as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards, lampard

Answers

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Voice Control requires you to have a computerised voice to be selected in order for it to work. Darth Vardar is a recorded voice.

Doug
  • Rom2509Rom2509 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @DougLap

Thankyou for that.

Romano
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Your Welcome

Having. Computerised voice as your preferred choice gives the opportunity to have more detailed directional information. For example a recorded voice means you only get a sound as a Speed Camera warning but a Computerised voice gives you a sound followed by an announcement that there is a Camera and what type of Camera it is.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Thanks again. You seem to know your stuff.

Do you mind if I pick your brain now and then as the Go Supreme is much more technological than my old One XL.

I still have other queries which I still can't seem to find the answers to.

Cheers

Romano
    Superuser
    Hi @Rom2509

Finding answers is what this forum for. What do you want to know.?

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Well I appreciate that.

The following is what I'd like to know:

1) When I begin to charge via USB cable the Go Extreme, it automatically switches on. Is there a way to charge the unit without it coming on ? I was able to charge the One XL while it remained off.

2) As I have lots of wall chargers around the home from my smart devices, can any of them be used with the Tomtom USB cable that came with the unit to charge ? If so, what is the minimum and maximum the chargers should be in terms of Watts and amperage ?

3) I also wanted to know whether if it's possible to have a security pin on the new device, as well as my contact details ie address and mobile number, which were both features that I have and used on the One XL ?

4) Is Wifi meant to be always on, or is there a way to switch it off ?

These are the questions I'd appreciate answered.

Romano
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

1. There is not an option that prevents the unit starting if you attach the GO unit to a power source.

2. Re wall chargers I suspect that if they are USB sockets than they will be quite limited in output and you can use them to charge your Smartphone. The Tomtom cig socket that is supplied with your unit has an output of 5V 1.2A and that is sufficient to run the unit and charge it as well. If you insert the USB cable into a Cars USB sockets then as they often only provide 0.5A output this is not capable of running and maintaining sufficient charge and the TT unit can shut down if run for some time.

3. Regrettably the current range of TT units do not have a facility to add a Security Pin.

4. The units Wifi will always be on but will not link to any other sources other than those you have related it too. You can only forget the Input Wifi data and if you do that then you would have to reload the Password etc.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Thanks again for answering all my questions.

Just to elaborate on question 2) Would I be able to charge the Tomtom using the USB cable that it came with to a wall charger that outputs 5v and 2 Amperage ?
    Similarly, I have a twin usb car charger that also outputs 5v and 2 amperage. Can that be used to change both my TomTom and say dashcam or mobile phone, at the same time ?

Romano
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

Here is the wording from a post by a TT employee that answers your question when discussing one of the other models..

The model is designed to be used for car navigation and has to be connected to a power supply that can provide an OUTPUT of 5V and a maximum of 2A (depending on the charger). This is the maximum a TomTom device can be charged with without damaging the battery.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Thankyou very much for that.

You've been more than helpful.

Romano
    Superuser
    Hi @Rom2509

Your welcome.

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,210 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rom2509

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark Doug's comment as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Regards, lampard