Where are the free maps? — TomTom Community

Where are the free maps?

I have just purchased a Start62 and I did so as it claimed FREE maps for life, however, the map on the new device is out of date, and having spent two hours getting 'my device' into the software mydrive it then wanted over £30 to update the map. I can return the device to amazon, as sold deceptively, but before I have that battle do I have to do something to get the free maps, like register the device. it's very poor not to come with the latest maps the ones on this brand new device are over a year old! on the positive side, I was introduced early to the scam perhaps as trying to return it after a few months would have been undoubtedly problematic!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,443
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @PJWT
    Welcome to the site....
    The restrictions as a result of the Coronavirus, Social Distancing and people working from home, are probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Account’/Devices....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Tomtom video... How to update your device using MyDrive Connect

Tip....
    Never have your Tomtom device connected to your PC During....
    (1)... The first Install of MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    Having the device connected to your PC can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • PJWTPJWT Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks for your response, YamFazMan. I did think it was odd that the online software was not only buggy, but it sent me to pages that it couldn't find. I guess this was due, like you say, to their software guys not being available to maintain the site and programs. I do hope the tomtom device is maintained to a higher standard, but given advertisements were appearing on the tomtom display for the purchase of speed camera warnings while navigating me around traffic roundabouts that weren't there didn't inspire confidence, especially given my son who was with me pulled out his phone and navigated me to our destination, with you should get yourself a decent phone dad lol.
    I would have thought they would have programmed within my drive that a new device is updated automatically, as I notice it grabbed the serial number of the TomTom device when I added it to mydrive.

I will wait to see if Tomtom rectify the problem on Monday but I think when I have a moment I will leave a review of the device on Amazon to let people know that the device they purchase will likely be hopelessly out of date due to Tomtom working restricted hours due to covid. that way it will encourage tomtom to put some effort into ensuring its top priority is the device is updated automatically on its first update from new, that way customers won't be left with a device that doesn't even match the freebie that comes on their phone.

I'm sure it will work eventually, but I do not think that eventually, should relate to a vaccine for covid lol. simply using the serial number that it grabbed to ensure the device was actually, new and fit for purpose. would, and should have been all that was required to update for the first map for a new out of the box device, and the furloughed staff could do the button-pushing at a later date so not inconveniencing the customer.

Tomtom needs to ensure their devices aren't suffering from covid by virtue of their response to covid.

Thank you again, Yam, you have been most helpful.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,443
    Superusers
    Hi
    @PJWT
    Welcome to the site....
    Could you try the steps mentioned below:

- Make sure the device has a valid GPS signal.
    - Plug the device in the car charger (not a USB port in the car)
    - Plan a route and start driving
    - While following the route, drive over 40 km/h for more than 10 seconds

This should automatically remove the advertisement or the demo mode on the device.

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,906 Moderator
    Hi @PJWT

Welcome to the community!

I have asked the team to fix the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram