How to I get my UK map to install on my SD Card rather than on my GO 5100 Device? — TomTom Community

How to I get my UK map to install on my SD Card rather than on my GO 5100 Device?

BevelsBevels Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited December 2020 in Map installation
How to I get my UK map to install on my SD Card rather than on my GO 5100 Device?

Best Answer

• BevelsBevels Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Douglap. I was afraid that your solution might be the only possible way to achieve my aim. I ask simply because I bought an SD card more than a year ago having seen that my device memory was almost filled by the UK map, and assumed that I would be in need of a card in the near future. Since then, my card has been sitting there unused, while updates to the map say that I have to go without Buildings to fit on the device. I assume that once your method has occupied the card, any future updates will be applied to the only existing map - the one on the card. I fear it might load onto the device, ignoring the card. Appreciate your kind and swift response. Cheers.

Answers

• dec1957dec1957 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    start 60 will download Serena but will not store on device shows when connected to my drive not showing when on battery power, also no direction voice only then
    tried reset and a full reload\install
    Answer from dec1957 does not even remotely relate to my question
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,935
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Bevels

If you have 2 maps on the device you will get the option to delete the U.K. map. I am not sure but I think if you already have a map you get a the option to decide if you want a map you want to load to be on the Internal or Extra memory. If you do not get that option then select another map from the world list that would fill the internal memory so that when you try to reload the U.K. map it has to go on the memory card. After loading it delete the map you do not want from the internal memory.

What ever you do always have 2 maps on the unit and load updates one at a time.

Why do you particularly want to move it to the Memory Card because you can’t add the card to another unit and use the map as maps are tied to the serial number.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks Douglap. I was afraid that your solution might be the only possible way to achieve my aim. I ask simply because I bought an SD card more than a year ago having seen that my device memory was almost filled by the UK map, and assumed that I would be in need of a card in the near future. Since then, my card has been sitting there unused, while updates to the map say that I have to go without Buildings to fit on the device. I assume that once your method has occupied the card, any future updates will be applied to the only existing map - the one on the card. I fear it might load onto the device, ignoring the card. Appreciate your kind and swift response. Cheers.
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Bevels

When you install an extra memory card it has to be formatted on the GO5100 to accept Maps otherwise the software won’t use it.

If I was fitting an extra memory card I would add a16gb or Maximum 32gb Micro SD Class 10 card. If you only have the U.K. map there should be a reasonable amount of free memory on the internal memory if it is the only Map. You need 400mb of free memory on the internal memory for operational reasons.

The reason I suggest a minimum of 2 maps is that when you do an update, it initially deletes the map to make way for the new version. If you only have one map and there is a problem during the update and the map is lost the GO5100 will not start normally. Having the second map avoids that problem and enables you to start the unit and reinstall the lost map.

Doug
    Wow! Thanks again Doug.

Device 31 MB free. Memory Card (which is "ready to use for Tom Tom maps") 15,130 free. Grateful for explanation of need to have two maps installed. I have to say I have yet to encounter any problem with loading maps, though. I've saved your helpful comments for the future when I get down to switching to the memory card for the UK. Pity one cannot just stipulate what should go on the card and what should go on the device. This would save much faffing around! Cheers again. Bevels
    I've now achieved my object of getting my UK map on to my SD card. I used Doug's ruse of putting enough MB of unwanted maps on my device to make it unacceptable for adding the UK map. Doug's advice made this operation a doddle. Thanks again to him. He's a star!
    Superuser
    Hi @Bevels

Glad you are sorted.

Doug