Go camper missing caravan option — TomTom Community

Go camper missing caravan option

Go a Go Camper sat nav (the ones that ony update via wifi and no option to connect to PC) Updateing Maps yesterday but stuck on 7%, left over night but still same (I have top BB and works fine) I done factory reset (which I have done in past) but this time when setting up I was only offered the option to select Camper Lite or Car?? The car/caravan option gone? I selected car thinking I can set up later in setting as option there to do but when loaded the option for vehicle set up not there also UK maps with campsite no longer there, tried speaking to TomTom who did not have a clue what to do and said take the unit back. Seen this before a few times (never took much notice) so a common issue but how is it resolved. Remember its WiFi only and no option in maps to download map?????

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,748
    Superuser
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Fist101

The U.K. map is a car only map and you should not get an option in Settings that enables you to select a vehicle type. The map is not specifically designed to enable vehicle dimension and weight to be used for routing

The 4 Camper Specific Maos are Europe, Oceania Camper, USA & Canada Camper and South S America, Caribbean and Mexico Camper. These maps are required if you want to be able to route based on vehicle types.

There are many other maps available on the unit but they are Car specific

If this is not what you are seeing the we need @lampard or @VikramK to review your units logs etc to sort the unit out.

Please advise what you are seeing.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @Fist101

That looks really odd. The GO Camper comes with 4 camper specific Camper based maps with one preloaded based on the region within which the unit is being sold which in your case in the UK would be the Europe Camper Map.

If you go to Add a Map in Settings/Maps you should be offered worldwide maps including the 4 camper specific maps. Do you see this option on the unit?

Doug
  • Fist101Fist101 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Current map is UNITED KINGDOM & REPUBLIC of IRELAND other map is EURO CAMPER, if I change to this map I get MY VEHICLE option in settings but one with CAR. if I click ADD A MAP, it gives me no other canper ones within the downloads?
    Superuser
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Fist101

The U.K. map is a car only map and you should not get an option in Settings that enables you to select a vehicle type. The map is not specifically designed to enable vehicle dimension and weight to be used for routing

The 4 Camper Specific Maos are Europe, Oceania Camper, USA & Canada Camper and South S America, Caribbean and Mexico Camper. These maps are required if you want to be able to route based on vehicle types.

There are many other maps available on the unit but they are Car specific

If this is not what you are seeing the we need @lampard or @VikramK to review your units logs etc to sort the unit out.

Please advise what you are seeing.

Doug
    Selected EURO CAMPER and then go into MY VEHICLE, another tab saying VEHICLE TYPE it is showing withing there, thanks for the support even TomTom support not get me there, I am sure there was 2 types of UK maps though? one said something about campsites?
    Love your answer Doug, boss mate thank you, BUT, why does TomTom not know how to get the car/caravan to display again? Thet have you rebooting and hard reset, one wanted me to attach to my computer and I advised been told by TomTom all wifi only now, American guy told me to send back t Amazon for refund nd buy from shop as Amazon sell all out of date models which I don't believe for one minute? Even Amazon have a tech help line for this unit and they could not fix, seems to be one of the magor things left out of everyones manual
    Superuser
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Fist101

Are you saying that if you have the Europe Camper Map selected in Maps and go to Settings/My Vehicle you do not see the Option to select Car and Caravan.

Regarding the attaching the GO Camper to a PC that is an option.

If for example you did not have a Wifi system but a wired system at Home, maybe for Health reasons, or your Wifi was slowish then the recommendation is to load the Tomtom My Drive Connect software onto a PC and when you have opened the software to then connect the GO Camper using the supplied USB cable. Now when you do this you will see a screen shot that suggests you do it the easy way via Wifi. When this screen appears you just ignore it and then use the menu options on the GO camper to do the updating etc. You are only using the Connection to the PC as a mechanism to connect the device to the internet. Some even with high speed Wifi still use the Connection to the PC system but that is their choice.

I think you will find everyone sells out of date units 😂😂 as usually when ever you buy a unit from anywhere and start it up there are Map updates and often Operating System updates as it takes time from manufacture to distribute the units to the sellers.

Doug
    Using the camper map I can now see MY VEHICL, what I'm saying is why TomTom are not adviseing to load this map and all would be sorted? As for loading to PC, I connect USB but only thing it does is charge, tried 2 laptops also and only charges this is when I was advised by TomTom it is wifi only now?
    Superuser
    Hi @Fist101

Okay. You need the My Drive Connect Software if you want to use the PC. There is one situation where a PC is necessary and that is if you should even need to Recover the units Operating Software which in rare occasions can happen..

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

Also can I just flag up that Tomtom do not have a Phone Line Support facility at the moment with so many working from home because of Covid. Whilst this may not be the case here there are a number of very convincing Scam sites on the internet that do use Phone line facilities all with a view to part you with your money.

Doug