My Rider 550 is showing a full white screen after SW-update, now what ? — TomTom Community

My Rider 550 is showing a full white screen after SW-update, now what ?

kbaetenskbaetens Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 11 in RIDER
I've just upgraded my Tomtom Rider 550 to the latest version that was pushed recently. After restarting, the device only shows a completely white screen.
What do I do now ?

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 679 [Revered Pioneer]
    First try a drum reset.

If this doesn’t work try the recovery mode (with MyDrive Connect)

• kbaetenskbaetens Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    After a lot of issues, I managed to get it working again.
    But the white screen after startup is still there; to get around this, it appears I need to push the power button again (4 times, 2 times 'off', 2 times 'on') to get the normal screen again. Is this a bug in the new SW maybe ?
    The update works in my Rider 550.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,209
    Superusers
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @kbaetens
    Welcome to the site....
    Is the device stuffed full of Maps ??? Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Free space... 400 MB is considered the bare Minimum... The more Free Space available the faster the device will run....

Have you a Micro SDHC Memory Card installed ??? Try removing the Memory card... See it the device will now Start-up correctly.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Checked that already; more than 11 GB available (internal memory). No memory card installed.
    Looks like the 'splash screen' at start-up is not functioning correctly (all white). For the rest now working correctly but would like to see it working perfectly again.
    edited November 2020
    Normally recovery mode (with MyDrive Connect) will fix this problem.

You can also try a Factory reset first.
    Tried all of the above; none of these fixed the problem. The device is fully working. The only thing is that, after startup, the screen is still completely white and I have to play around a bit with the power button to get the normal map screen again. Quite annoying and would love to get rid of it. Any other ideas appreciated. As said, it only starting doing this after the SW-upgrade to the latest version.
    @VikramK can you see anything in the backend that can explain @kbaetens problem?

And can you check if its posible to redistibute the latest update to his device.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,565 Moderator
    @RoadRider
    Asked my team to review the logs but could not find any issues from our side.

@kbaetens
    Our 2nd Line team has pushed a scrip that will repair the installed Navkit(firmware). Please connect the device to MyDrive Connect and let the jobs process.
    The device might reboot during this time.

Thank you, Vikram
  • FrederikVAFrederikVA Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I’m having exactly the same problem as described by kbaetens. Updated the software recently, but the issue persists.

@VikramK : how do I run this script you refer to in this post? Can every Rider 550 user run/access it?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,565 Moderator
    Hi @FrederikVA
    A manual push of the script should only be required is the device is not able to self repair itself by reinstalling the firmware.

Have you tried the recovery mode- ?

Regards, Vikram
    Thank you for you quick reply, @VikramK.

When starting my device, I get the blank screen. Hence, I never get to see whether white text appears or not (I get a blank screen that I cannot interpret until the device is entirely switched on and I toggle the on switch a few times to get the interface).
  • dogknobblerdogknobbler Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Have this issue as well ,completely white screen when booted up , its a real pita to get it to actually show a map are there any solutions?
    Superusers
    Hi
    @dogknobbler
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • dogknobblerdogknobbler Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thx for the reply , have done the soft/drum roll restart and also the device recovery procedure and unfortunately no differant, only way i can get it to start is hold the power button(gives a white screen) then keep holding the power button to give a wall of text then press the power button again which seems to load maps ok , it works but its annoying to have to do this everytime i boot up
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,690
    Superuser
    Hi @Dognobbler

When you go to Settings/System/About how much free space is shown on the internal and extra memory .

Doug
    Any further solutions? This seems to affect several users.

In reply to @VikramK: how can I get in recovery mode when the display is blank after a reset? I've followed the guide in the video, but do not manage to start the recovery procedure. The device just reboots, does not go into recovery mode.
    My system has 4,5 GB storage space available.

To give an update on my situation: I have managed to get the white text on my screen after restarting while holding the power button, but pressing the power button three times once I see the text does not get me into recovery mode (I do not see the "wheel" and after connecting the cable my device just starts).

I do keep getting the white screen issue though, every time the device has been in sleep mode for over an hour or so. Need to turn it on and off twice before I can use it.
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 158 [Revered Navigator]
    You have to perform the three presses in a very specific way, just keep trying.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @raesewell
    The three clicks of the Power button are 1,2,3 as quick as that....
    Probably all 3 in around a second.... There is a knack to getting it right....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    OK, I'll keep trying, @raesewell and @YamFazMan. Have tried it about 25 to 30 times though and never managed to get into restore mode. Will not give up now that both of you have reassured me it should work!
    After trying an additional 20 or so times I still didn't manage to get my Rider 550 in recovery mode. My index finger needs physiotherapy though as the button is quite hard to push, especially if you have to press quickly ;-)

I'm still experiencing the same white screen issue as described by @kbaetens above.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.