Sat Nav doesn't find a postcode — TomTom Community

Sat Nav doesn't find a postcode

Hi I was using my TomTom recently and would not find a particular postcode of GL103DP any advise? thanks

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,702
    Superuser
    edited November 2020
    Hi @grd5

Find it OK on my GO5200 which has the latest map version 10.60 and my GO Camper which has the old map 10.55.

Non of the properties covered by it have a house number so it just shows the position on the B4008 just off the roundabout.just as Google Earth shows it.

What TT unit are you using and what map version. Also does your device have the option to set it to Quick Search as if so I would certainly set to that option.

Doug
  • grd5grd5 Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Doug

If i go into system on the sat nav it says 20.100.0001.311(0) (13/10/2020)

where can i find latest map version?

ta
    sorry Doug what do you mean by TT version?
    Hi Doug

Found v1011.9039 is that the version?
    Superuser
    Hi @grd5

Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap About

Now you will see the map/Maps on the unit and what version they are. The very latest is 10.66

Also what Tomtom model do you have this problem with.

Doug
    Hi Doug

I have done that and it comes up as

Installed maps
    'United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland' v1011.9039 (30 months old(released 05/2018)

Tomtom model START 52
    Superuser
    Hi @grd5

The Start 42/52/62 models have a bug where Postcodes are concerned. Tomtom have been made aware of it a long time ago but they have not resolved it.

These Start units have what is known as the Step by Step Search option and unlike all the other units do not have the option to Change the Search Option to Quick Search. The Step by Step search requires you to include the street name in the r=search and I am not sure the Postcode you are looking for has a Street name.

If I change my units to use the Step by Step Search method it recognises it but without a street name will not display it.

This bug is a problem when you don't know the street name , which can easily be the situation, and is frequently an issue in rural areas.

Doug
    ok cool thank you. can you confirm from my previous message my maps are up to date?
    so nothing i can really do then?
    Superuser
    Hi @grd5

There have been a number of new versions of the map since your version v10.11 was released including today then the latest version v10.60 was released.

I thought that the Start 52 models were offed with lifetime maps and if so you should be being offered updates Quarterly. If you connect the unit to your PC with Tomtom My Drive Connect software running do you not get offered any updates?

Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @grd5

Regarding the Postcode I am not sure if the Start 52 units work with Mapcodes. If you go to Drive To on your Start 52 and input DH.FX does it direct you to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace. Make sure you include the full stop in the middle.

If it does then if you have a smartphone download the Mapcode App. With this you can input the Postcode in the Mapcode App which it will recognise and display. If you put the Map view in the App to Hybrid then it gives you a Map view like Google Earth. Now if necessary you can move the cursor around and place it over the entrance to the property you want in the area covered by the Postcode. The App will give you an Address , LONG/LAT and Mapcode for the position covered by the cursor.

Mapcodes are accurate enough to pick out a parking bay in a car park worldwide. You can then enter the Mapcode into the Start 52 and get a route to the exact point you want.

Doug
    Hi Doug.

I have it connected now and no map update ?

Should send Tomtom and email asking why as I don't remember seeing any map updates, i get other updates but can't remember getting a maps one!

thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @grd5

Lets see what @VikramK has to say tomorrow after he has reviewed you units Settings on the Tomtom servers. Look back here tomorrow.

Doug
    Thank you Doug I will check back tomorrow to see if @VikramK has any news.

I will look at the mapcodes and app when log back in tomorrow as got to go out now.

Really appreciate your time and thoughts. Will catch up tomorrow

Graham
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,581 Moderator
    Hi @grd5

Welcome to the community!

I have asked my team to fix the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for map updates in MyDrive Connect.

Regards, Vikram
    Hi @VikramK thank you for your email I logged in and saw the update on my pc. done the reset as you mentioned then done the update.

My Sat nav is now showing No Maps Available.

But on My Drive Connect it is showing as installed?

help please.

Graham

Superuser
    ive added picture showing both my maps and my services (not sure if it means anything when one is showing the map and the other showing no map) when I updated earlier it said all ok. But not sure what to do now? ta
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    edited November 2020
    Hi
    @grd5
    grd5 wrote: »
    (Snip) My Sat nav is now showing No Maps Available (Snip)
    See... Vikram's post... I think you have the Case (2) error....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121560/tomtom-no-maps-found
    You will need to contact the customer service to get the certificate removed. They have the tools in the backend to create scripts that will remove the certificate.

Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed

(1)... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

(2)... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks YamFazMan trying to get hold of customer services! to see what can be done.
    Hi Doug I tried that postcode and it did nothing :(
    Can anyone help I have messaged TomTom and got the standard follow these instructions! Done that and still no maps available? Any idea what I can do next please. Picture added up the post if want to see what I see.
    Thank you
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,581 Moderator
    edited November 2020
    Hi @grd5

We currently have an issue with the UK and ROI map which is under investigation.

The fix we pushed for your TomTom is still unprocessed.

Could you try some steps as below-
    1. Exit MyDrive Connect
    2. Delete the HOME3 folder on your computer(located at)-

C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\TomTom\

3. Open MyDrive Connect
    4. Connect the device and the fix pushed should automatically process and the device might reboot.

Once done, see if the map is offered as an update again.

Regards, Vikram