EV support

electroboy
electroboy Registered Users Posts: 1
New Seeker
Hi, when are you gona support EV cars in your GO app, or are you planning to release a separate app for that. I would be happy to support that app.

Conny

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Hi @electroboy

Interestingly Electric Vehicle Points are available when using the Apo if you input in Search “Electric Vehicles”. You can do this Search based on Whole Map, Along Route or in a Town or City. It would be nice to have the facility to have them display as you can Petrol Stations.

Doug
  • JorgenW
    JorgenW Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    @DougLap Problem is that it is a search to only 1 charger which takes time to figure out when one is needed. Like you suggested, the best way for now it to add the chargers the same way gas stations are shown, in order for the EV driver to see how long it will take to find the next one. Especially DC chargers on the route (or nearby - say 1 km max like the ones at supermarkets, fast food restaurants, the famous Swedish warehouses ;) ).
    Currently, EV drivers are simply neglected by TomTom while the company lives in a very high-dense EV driver community - it baffles me what the reason is for this.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @JorgenW

Tomtom have not ignored Electric Vehicle drivers as they have added EV Charger points to the PND units in a way which meets your requirements. At this stage they have so far added the EV Charger points to the Mobile App but have not yet made the change to the way they can be displayed in the Route Bar.

I am sure it will be on the list of things to do in due course. In the mean time at least you can search for them and get a list near you, on route or in a town or city.

Doug
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    We do have EV support on our road map for the current apps but I can't give you a time frame.
  • Zegnus
    Zegnus Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I can see that Tom Tom offers ev extended routing https://developer.tomtom.com/maps-sdk-android/long-ev-distance-routing and https://www.tomtom.com/products/ev-charging-availability-routing-services/

Is this feature available on the app or we need to build our own app for now?

Thank you
  • Veusy1974
    Veusy1974 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hello,
    I love the TOM TOM Go app on my iPhone in combination with carplay. It is my companion in the car for many years now. But I will be switching to a Full EV car later this year and i was wondering when the EV charging stations will be available in TOM TOM Go? And will it be possible to plan a route based on the driving range of the EV Car ?
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    edited May 3
    If you go to Search and tap the three dots, then All Categories you can choose Electric vehicle charging stations.

On the long run there will be a setting for the vehicle time and based on that fuel stations will be replaced by EV charging stations.

I wouldn't know if there are plans to plan routes based on EV range.
  • Veusy1974
    Veusy1974 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited May 3
    Jürgen wrote: »
    If you go to Search and tap the three dots, then All Categories you can choose Electric vehicle charging stations.

To complicated when driving :/

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,455
    Revered Voyager
    edited May 3
    Hello,
    Follow> Parameter> map and display> downloaded maps> see on the map> points of interest checked electric vehicle charging station.
  • jgeorge704
    jgeorge704 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I know the moderator has already stated that the EV charging points are available for Android users but when is it coming to Apple devices paying for TomTom? Telling us that it is coming is not an answer! Why would TomTom not work on both apps at the same time to make it available to ALL USERS? #winteriscoming
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited May 3
    Hi @jgeorge704

Electric charging stations can be found in the IOS App. It finds 60 sites within 8 miles of where I am and I can add any of them to a route. I can also search for them near a destination or along a route.

Doug
  • Linger
    Linger Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited May 3
    Hi Doug
    Where did you find it?
    I haven’t found it yet

Linger
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited May 3
    Hi @Linger

As @Palferman has indicated. You can change the Whole Map setting in Search to Near Destination so being aware of electric Points near where you are going.

At the moment you cannot set the App to show Electric points in the Route Bar but hopefully that will come with time.

Doug
  • Wim_Antonissen
    Wim_Antonissen Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited May 3
    In the app TomTom Go in the main menu Parking place and Gasstations are displayed. I am driving electric so I would like tot display charging stations instead go patrol/gas stations. How can I change that? Not in settings? TomTom version is 2.8
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited May 3 Answer ✓
    Hi @Wim_Antonissen

Not available at the moment. Hopefully will be added at some time

Doug
  • Soulplayer
    Soulplayer Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    I love the iOS app but it’s missing a crucial feature. There is no way to select EV charge point as a replacement for the fuel stations. Can this please be added or can I enable this somewhere?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited May 3
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1139961/ev-charging-locations-on-ios-devices#latest

@Soulplayer , @Palferman has suggested a workaround here,
    "
    Try
    Search
    Near me (or along route etc)
    Tap the icon with 3 white dots
    Then All Categories
    Scroll down to Electric Vehicle Charging Station

You’ll see a list of charging stations depending and also an option of a map view "

Shawn
  • Bydandie
    Bydandie Registered Users Posts: 27
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Is it possible to set the vehicle type in settings as either ICE or EV, which then changes the petrol stations shortcut to EV chargers? This should be an easy change, even if you can't show the availability from your API?
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,966
    edited May 3
    Hi @Bydandie

Have a look at this thread and a reply from Jürgen about the EV charging stations availability on GO App(iOS).

Best, lampard
  • Bydandie
    Prominent Wayfarer
    edited May 3
    @lampard its really important to understand that answer you linked to has never answered any of the concerns raised by your customers.

I’ve provided a useful temporary solution, which won’t be addressed by a convoluted search for an EV PoI which isn’t easily available in CarPlay. How do we formally start a discussion about how best to serve EV customers?
  • Bydandie
    Prominent Wayfarer
    edited May 3
    I was driving around yesterday and have some ideas on how the EV option could work in a way that would kill the competition off. When the user selects EV, they can select the type of chargepoint they use, which will show on the LHS info bar which usually shows the fuel pumps en route. All you need is the following status to show for chargepoints en route:

- Green - charger is available
    - Amber - charger is operational but occupied
    - Red - charger is inoperable

Being blunt, TomTom is now at the point where I can justify paying for it on top of Waze etc, but your real competition is now ABRP and Zap-Map.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,966
    edited May 3
    Thanks, for the feedback @Bydandie about the color codes, I'll send it to my team. As Jurgen mentioned in the other thread, EV POI's should be available later this year since the work is ongoing. We have the similar setup on Android App which looks something like this:wdsks1d8689q.jpg

Best, lampard
  • Spiegeltje
    Spiegeltje Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited May 3
    Why is it still not available on iOS? How difficult can it be to make this happen on the iOS version?
  • TudorQueen
    TudorQueen Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    edited May 3
    Having read this thread and although a workaround has been suggested, to have to do that for every journey is tedious, plus there is the redundant icon on the main page of a fuel pump, surely this could be an option for fuel or EV charger? Even if it was just for any kind of charger?

As EVs are hardly anything new and becoming more popular by the day, it seems a little shortsighted of TomTom not to address this in a more comprehensive way than including EV chargers halfway down a list with dentists and Embassies, those regularly used destinations...!!!

Like others, I have happily subscribed to TomTom for years, but ZapMap is becoming more appealing by the day...

Row