Subaru Forester 2019/2020 driving routes eg. connect to MyDrive / avoid jams behaviour / Updating — TomTom Community

Subaru Forester 2019/2020 driving routes eg. connect to MyDrive / avoid jams behaviour / Updating

sjoerd1972sjoerd1972 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
Hello All,

I got three major things that I want yo know about the build in TomTom of my new forester since there is not much information about that. I love tomtom's but there is lack of information (or I haven't found it yet) about these things.

1) Is it possible to send routes/places/tracks to Subaru's buildin TomTom - this would make my life much more easy when planning routes.. Especially when riding routes. As far as my knowlegde goes it's not possible to upload tracks..

2) How does the Build-In TomTom update it's traffic information - and how frequent? I mean - a road nearby is block for a week. My Go 5000 sees it, Google Map sees it but the build-in does not.

3) How do I update de Firmware ?? - How can I check which version it is running and what map versions there are - (I already figured out how to update but can't figure out how to see the versions)

Regards
Sjoerd

Comments

• forestergumpforestergump Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Like you I have a 2020 Subaru Forester with TOMTOM.

I paid for the Touring model just to get the Navi which is not cheap.

Then I discover that there are NO VERBAL ALERTS, Subaru tell me I need to look at the screen for the icon to be displayed as this is for safe driving. How can anyone drive safely looking at a screen is beyond me.

It does not connect to MyDrive or anything else that would allow for tracks etc to be uploaded to.

Subaru state that they GUARANTEE the latest maps, BUT, they update them once a year and only over three years giving THREE updates. Whereas TomTom update every quarter = 12 updates over three years.

I have owned many vehicles, however, the Subaru navi system that uses TomTom is a scam, it's not fit for purpose in that it's unsafe to keep looking at a screen for alerts!

It may be different for other countries, I am in Australia.

• EndorphinityEndorphinity Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2020
    Subaru official support is deaf to our concerns, so there is not much sense in posting to TomTom, forums, even monitored by their moderators, as they are only supplying quarterly map updates to Subaru upon request, not forcefully. Unless Subaru is interested in doing map and firmware updates more regular and user-oriented, we are doomed to use what is provided by our smartphones integrated with the car.
  • sjoerd1972sjoerd1972 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Sorry for this ultra-late reply.
    I managed to figure out, with help of my dealer, how to upgrade the firmware but they have obvious no answers about the first 2 points. Since I do not android car a lot (google-map works but half the screen is wasted by a directions panel which i never use.. I takes less then a second to see where you need to go instead of reading it
  • SkiSteamboatSkiSteamboat Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 8
    The Map in my just purchased Outback is dated 2019.06. Subaru "mymaps" says an update "is not authorized until TomTom updates the Subaru maps..."

The TomTom maps are useless. My home address...on a street built 3+ years ago...doesn't show up on the Subaru Maps. HOWEVER, when I go "online"....ALL the streets in my neighborhood are present in TomTom's current maps.

How is it possible for TomTom to NOT have the most current Map Version installed in BRAND NEW cars????

I've contacted Subaru Support and they say there is nothing they can do "until TomTom releases a new update". What???? The "map" in the new car is 3 years old!!

I've been forced to use Google Maps with Android Auto. Google Map is current...and, doesn't cost $65 per year. Ditto that for my Garmin GPS. It has Lifetime Maps and Traffic.
  • saforbes88saforbes88 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    sjoerd1972 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I got three major things that I want yo know about the build in TomTom of my new forester since there is not much information about that. I love tomtom's but there is lack of information (or I haven't found it yet) about these things.

1) Is it possible to send routes/places/tracks to Subaru's buildin TomTom - this would make my life much more easy when planning routes.. Especially when riding routes. As far as my knowlegde goes it's not possible to upload tracks..

2) How does the Build-In TomTom update it's traffic information - and how frequent? I mean - a road nearby is block for a week. My Go 5000 sees it, Google Map sees it but the build-in does not.

3) How do I update de Firmware ?? - How can I check which version it is running and what map versions there are - (I already figured out how to update but can't figure out how to see the versions)

Regards
    Sjoerd

I'm trying to figure out Item 1) for my 2021 Outback XT with the 11.6" screen. May as well plan routes in Google or Apple Maps. - the Nav System is pretty useless if you have to sit in the car to plan a multi day route, especially if you want to do specific drives on specific roads.
  • sjoerd1972sjoerd1972 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    saforbes88 wrote: »
    sjoerd1972 wrote: »
    Hello All,

Regards
    Sjoerd

I'm trying to figure out Item 1) for my 2021 Outback XT with the 11.6" screen. May as well plan routes in Google or Apple Maps. - the Nav System is pretty useless if you have to sit in the car to plan a multi day route, especially if you want to do specific drives on specific roads.

I tried tomtom's amigos (which is android car aware) and it works quite well although I not sure how accurate live traffic is - if there is a payed version for android car that is fully functional like the dedicate GO series then than would be an insta-buy. Con is that amigos does not support offline-maps afaik