Which SIM card is installed in GO Premium/Essential/Basic — TomTom Community

Which SIM card is installed in GO Premium/Essential/Basic

bokabilbokabil Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
Switzerland will turn-off its 2G network by the end of 2020. For my GO 5000, this means no more Traffic info in Switzerland. Now I need to look for a replacement. My preference is a device with built-in SIM as I prefer not to pay for data charges. What are my options? Thanks.

Comments

• Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,771 Moderator
    edited November 17
    Hi @bokabil

At the moment all our devices use 2G'Network. So there is no built-in sim device which will have active live service. You should use your phone to get the Traffic data.

Regards,

Jim
  • bokabilbokabil Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    @Jim07 Thanks! A couple of questions for my GO 5000:
    • Can I tether it to my phone to get traffic-info within Switzerland?
    • If I go to Germany where 2G is still active, will I get traffic-info via the SIM card?
  • Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,771 Moderator
    Hi,

Unfortunately with the GO5000 it will be not possible to use your smartphone to get Traffic data in switzerland.

But, yes your devcie will work as usual everywhere elese where the 2G still works (Germany, France etc..)

Jim
  • bokabilbokabil Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    @Jim07 Thanks. Ok, so is there another device that I can tether to my phone and has SIM at the same time? I'm willing to replace my GO5000.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,581
    Superuser
    edited 2:59PM
    Hi @bokabil

The GO5200, GO6200 and Premium/Premium X models all have inbuilt Sims as well as the ability to accept Traffic data via a phone. They also have lifetime World Maps and 32gb of internal memory, lifetime Traffic and Cameras.

All of these units are Wifi based so you can do your updating without a PC as the units can be connected to your Wifi directly. Should you have a wired internet system rather than a Wifi System or your Wifi is slowish then you can connect the units to a PC which has the My Drive Connect software running and then use the menu options on the Device to manage the updating etc.

Doug