Why are speed cameras now missing from my tomtom since my subscription ended.? — TomTom Community

Why are speed cameras now missing from my tomtom since my subscription ended.?

wombatpaulwombatpaul Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
This never happened on my tom tom one, they were out of date but still on my tom tom. But this new tom tom you are taking them off until i renew, ive paid for them for the last year , why are you removing them until i subscribe again, thats bang out of order. No wonder people use google.

Answers

• Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,940 Moderator
    Hi,

Now, when your subscription is not active you do not get any speedcam alert anymore.

regards,

Jim

• wombatpaulwombatpaul Posts: 10 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Why not, why should that be.
    Last month i drove past two cameras that werent alerted to me. For the last two years ive had cameras on the unit and payed for it, why are you disabling it just because i dont have the latest update , thats unfair.
  • Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,940 Moderator
    Hi,

I'm sorry you are not agree with the new system about speedcam service.

I will say it's like any services subscriptions. Same as your phone, if your subscription is active you can use it if not you cant.

Regards,

Jim
    Then its a change in policy from before then as they stayed on your unit even if old with no subscription, as youd paid for them.....Good job im not too cynical as id say this is a deliberate reason to force you to subscribe .......
  • AldridgeAndyAldridgeAndy Posts: 28 [Master Explorer]
    edited December 2020
    Have to admit I totally disagree with the new policy of removing speed cameras from my device once a subscription ends. This is to either force you to keep subscribing or to purchase a new device that has a lifetime safety camera subscription.

I’d like to know how and when TomTom notified us of this change of policy?

TomTom doing this has removed them from “one of the good guys” to simply seeing customers as a cash cow.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,054
    Superusers
    edited December 2020
    Hi
    @AldridgeAndy
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    (Snip) I’d like to know how and when TomTom notified us of this change of policy? (Snip)
    Tomtom sent email to all affected users... Have you checked you spam/junk folder ???
  • AldridgeAndyAldridgeAndy Posts: 28 [Master Explorer]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @AldridgeAndy
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    (Snip) I’d like to know how and when TomTom notified us of this change of policy? (Snip)
    Tomtom sent email to all affected users... Have you checked you spam/junk folder ???

No notification from TomTom, hence I’d like to know how and when I was notified.

This is disgraceful behaviour from TomTom. How can you remain loyal to a brand that treats users like this.
    So when my maps run out if they get taken off too, i'll never buy a tom tom again, money grabbers.
    Ive posted this on facebook just to ensure everyone knows this policy exists and about the difference to what "lifetime" means to the public and what it means to TomTom.
    Bump X
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,604
    Superuser
    Hi @wombatpaul

Regarding the understanding of lifetime I think you will find that the other suppliers make similar comments about what Lifetime means. Indeed one of the major ones states that if their map supplier stops supplying them then so will they. At this moment in time Tomtom are still honouring Lifetime maps on all units they have sold with the promise even those units declared obsolete. and have not deleted maps on the obsolete units without the lifetime promise.

The old units that have been declared obsolete are generally those with circa 2gb or less Internal memory many of which have no ability to add additional memory. I think Traffic and Camera updates are loaded on the internal memory alongside the Operating System and I assume the limited available memory is the issue hence they no longer offer traffic or cameras for these obsolete units

For years Tomtom units have been sold with 8gb and more internal memory and the ability to add up to 32gb of extra memory.
    The policy on removing speed cameras purchased just because you havent paid for an update stinks.......it is wrong. Entirely wrong. You wont change your policy but i've had tom tom units for years and years......Never again. I wont recommend your products ever again. So much for being loyal.