TomTom GO Supreme will not charge in the car — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Supreme will not charge in the car

TomTom GO Supreme will not charge in the car via USB 12v adapter. This is the first device that has this problem, as we have owned many previous models. I have to charge this via Tom Tom AC adapter that we purchased 12 years ago with our very first Tom Tom.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,987
    Superusers
    edited November 12
    Hi
    @Allan_340
    Welcome to the site....
    Allan_340 wrote: »
    I have to charge this via Tom Tom AC adapter that we purchased 12 years ago with our very first Tom Tom.
    Is the device using the early Hardwired kit ???
    Or
    The Old style Tomtom High speed dual port adapter 1.2 Amp
    (With pass though 12v Power Socket)
    Std Port... Screen Bright --> Use this port for the GO Supreme
    High-speed port... Screen Dull
    nahj83hqr93u.png

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom cable and Power Adapter supplied with your new device
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time
    Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports....
    'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
  • Allan_340Allan_340 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Tom Tom GO SUPREME 6"
    I am using the supplied Tom Tom Cable and Adapter.
    After charging with the AC Tom Tom Model: PSB05R-050Q
    It will only work for a few days plugged into the supplied cable and charging adapter in the car.
    It still won't charge or work in the car like it should.
    As previously mentioned, 'This has never happened with our previous Tom Tom devices'.
    Superusers
    edited November 16
    Hi
    @Allan_340
    The Power Adapter should be a tight sliding fit in the power socket...
    Some users have posted about their vehicles having none standard oversize car power sockets... Do you know the Power output (Amps) of your car's Power Socket...

By the way your Tomtom AC Main Charger Model: PSB05R-050Q only outputs 1.0 Amp MAX

boyqa0uu44xc.jpg

NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Charging Status Display....
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Jim07Jim07 Posts: 3,771 Moderator
    @Allan_340

Did the above suggestions help? If yes, please click 'Yes' to mark the comment as an answer when you get a chance so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Allan_340Allan_340 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The GO SUPREME 6" from the box, would not charge or function in the car.
    I then decided to charge it with the AC charger as previously mentioned.
    When its plugged in the car, it would last less than a few days before I would charge it again on the AC charger.
    If I didn't charge it with the AC charger, it would not turn on completely and keep trying reboot and turn on.
    Now, the device functions for nearly a week, before I have to recharge it!

We have a typical factory round 12vdc power socket in our vehicle.

We used to use the standard Tom Tom adapter, until we installed the Kogan HD Dash Camera with the Previous Tom Tom VIA160.

I have used SCA round Power socket with 2 x USB ports, Attached SCA 375051-01
    As we require power for the Kogan HD Dash Camera and the Tom Tom.
    With the GO SUPREME 6", maybe I need to charge the power adapter?
    1. Change the Kogan Dash Camera to a USB power lead and,
    2. Change the power socket adapter to either a twin or triple USB with 1.2A, 2.4A, 3.1A, like the Attached SCA 412900 ?

Do you think, this would be the solution to purchase both:
    1. USB power lead for the Dash Camera?
    2. 12vdc Power Socket as above?

Appreciate your response.
    Regards Allan_340.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,627
    Superuser
    Many chargers not supplied by TomTom do not work properly even if they claim they can deliver the 2A out. But many DO work. If you still have the original TomTom charger check to see if your GO SUPREME works properly with it. If it does and you still want to use a different charger you will have to try to find one which works.
    Superusers
    edited November 18
    Hi
    Allan_340
    As 'big' says....
    It's not as simple as saying the output is 2Amp it will be 'OK'
    See Wikipedia USB... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB....

Stay safe... ATB YFM