How do I get the coordinates for a POI in My Places? — TomTom Community

How do I get the coordinates for a POI in My Places?

Hello -

Sorry if this has been asked before - I searched 'coordinates' and found nothing relevant -

I have a GO 6200 -

How do I get the coordinates for a POI in My Places -

If I right click on the POI in MyDrive it gives the coordinates instantaneously but quickly changes to a postcode -

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,986
    Superusers
    edited November 8 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @White_110
    Welcome to the site....
    Your GO 6200 is one on the latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices that use MyPlaces and the MyDrive Web Route planner
    See the MDW Route planner... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

On the device.....
    Convert your Marked locations to MyPlaces
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces --> Marked locations... Tap on the Marked location & follow the on-screen instructions... edit or accept the offered name
    Repeat for the other Marked places
    Open the MDW Route planner & login with Email & Password
    Your new MyPlaces will sync to the MDW Route planner

MyPlace Coordinates... Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    Go to your MyPlaces list
    Click on the required MyPlace... The Map will Zoom in with your MyPlace centred on the screen
    The https:// link contains the Coordinates
    Note... If the newly synced Myplaces are no longer requires delete using the Tiny Trash Can Icon
    Note... Ignore the .16 at the end if refers to the present Zoom level of the MDW Route planner screen

Tip... If required you can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps

To enlarge image... Right Click on Image & Select View image....
    Click on the browser 'Back button' to return
    md2kr99m1xvn.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited November 8 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @White_110
    Welcome to the site....
    Your GO 6200 is one on the latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices that use MyPlaces and the MyDrive Web Route planner
    See the MDW Route planner... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

On the device.....
    Convert your Marked locations to MyPlaces
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces --> Marked locations... Tap on the Marked location & follow the on-screen instructions... edit or accept the offered name
    Repeat for the other Marked places
    Open the MDW Route planner & login with Email & Password
    Your new MyPlaces will sync to the MDW Route planner

MyPlace Coordinates... Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    Go to your MyPlaces list
    Click on the required MyPlace... The Map will Zoom in with your MyPlace centred on the screen
    Note... If the newly synced Myplaces are no longer requires delete using the Tiny Trash Can Icon
    Note... Ignore the .16 at the end if refers to the present Zoom level of the MDW Route planner screen

Tip... If required you can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps

To enlarge image... Right Click on Image & Select View image....
    Click on the browser 'Back button' to return
    md2kr99m1xvn.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superusers
    Hi Again....
    If you want a near as dammit Coordinate... For say a 'Stop' or a Point on the Map
    Have the MDW Route planner full screen
    Zoom the Map in to the required detail (Recommend Zoom level 16 (18 is Max Zoom)
    Left-click on the Location and drag the location near as dammit to the Screen centre
    Tip... You can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps for more info

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • White_110White_110 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hello YamFazMan -

Excellent answer - exactly what I was looking for -

I have recently started using my TomTom to plan trips in my van -

I create POI lists using Google Maps to plot the entrance to petrol stations, parking places, pubs etc. where with the help of street view this is accurate enough -

What I want to do is supplement these - as I go along - with as accurate a location as possible for toilets, water points, etc. where Google can't be used. There's nothing worse than turning up at a parking place when it's cold, dark and raining and having to search for the facilities -

What I can now do - thanks to you - is take the satnav to the exact location - mark it - add it to my places - then add it to a POI list using the elusive coordinates -

I can't thank you enough - you are a credit to the community - a perfect answer in record time - I have clicked the 'Accepted Answer' and 'Like' - if there are any further plaudits that I can bestow please let me know -

Thanks again
    Superusers
    edited November 8
    Hi Again...
    @White_110
    Thanks for the feedback :)

Maybe useful... This is the Workaround I use on my PC :)
    Transfer the individual Google Map locations manually to the MDW Route planner
    With Google Maps and the MyDrive Web Route planner both running

(1)... Type the location into the Google Maps Search Box and Right-click on the offered location marker and select 'What's here'
    Or
    (2)... Right-click on the Map at the required location and select 'What's here'
    (3)... A small window opens at the bottom of the screen... Click on the displayed Coordinates... the Coordinates are now displayed in the normal Search Box
    (4)... Copy the Coordinates & Paste them into the MyDrive Web Route planner (Press Enter on your Keyboard) the MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location....
    Right-Click on the Icon to....
    Send Destination
    Add to MyPlaces
    Use as Starting point
    Plan Route
    If you have a Route already planned....
    Right-Click on the Icon to add a Stop

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,581
    Superuser
    edited November 8
    Hi @White_110

Something else you might find useful is the Mapcode App on your phone.

You can open the App and display a Hybrid Map display which is a Satellite Map view just like Google Earth.

You can search for Addresses, long/lat and Postcodes. When the position is displayed you can move the map around to display a precise position such as the entrance of a House Driveway. Once you have decided the correct position you will get a Mapcode, Address and Long/Lat for it.

Once you have the Mapcode etc you can put that in your GO6200 and get directions to the exact position. Mapcode are accurate enough to identify a parking space in a Car Park.

The Mapcodes work worldwide the only thing being you need to add a Country code if it is in another country to the one you are in.

As an example if you input the Mapcode DH.FX in Search on your TT unit you will be able to get a route to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace.

Also when you are somewhere you can open the App on your phone and get the Mapcode, long/lat etc of where you are standing.

You can if you wish Copy and Paste the Long//lat data from the App into the MyDrive App on your phone as well. Unfortunately the MyDrive App/Website does not use Mapcodes

Hope that is of interest.

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 226 [Exalted Navigator]
    @DougLap

"Unfortunately the MyDrive App/Website does not use Mapcodes"

I discovered recently that if you put GBR in front of the Mapcode it works on the MyDrive App/ Website . :)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,581
    Superuser
    Hi @Lost_Soul

Well spotted. Thanks for that information.

Doug
  • White_110White_110 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Wow - this place is a mine of information - thank you for all the advice -

For years I resisted using a satnav - I do think you lose something - when using a map you get more of a sense of spacial awareness - you keep a picture of the map in your mind and you look more at the road signs and your surroundings - but you do get lost - not always a bad thing - I've had wonderful evenings after getting lost in places like Ireland, Luxembourg and Germany -

On the flip side I do tend to forget the parking places and facilities that I have discovered -

Last Christmas I arranged to meet someone in Berlin - I decided it was time to get a satnav - a wrong turn on the European motorway network can land you hundreds of miles from your destination - in the wrong country never mind the wrong city -

Since then particularly during the furlough I messed about and realised the potential of my new acquisition - I intend to create POI lists for parking places, cheap fuel stations, youth hostels and the nearby facilities such as toilets, drinking water points and cash machines - I can then turn on just the layers that I need - such as parking places and toilets -

My 'system' is very embryonic and i'm sure that in the future it will be completely different from my initial ideas but it gives me something to keep my mind active in these depressing times -

I am testing and developing it using locations around the Peak District as this is close to where I live -

Now that I have found this forum I intend to browse the discussions for inspiration - maybe eventually I will be in a position to help someone else - I certainly know where to come if I encounter problems in the future -

Thanks again for your help -

keep walking and keep talking