6250 Better POI's and Groups please — TomTom Community

6250 Better POI's and Groups please

I'm an agency truck driver my 5150 satnav had company group with all depots and poi, which when upgrading to 6250 thought it would be better, but removing that key feature has made it a total waste of money.
C'mon tomtom add that feature!

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,986
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Trucker6250
    The latests NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices.... Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

13s1zlb8gssy.jpg
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Here the Yellow Pentagon Icons --> National Trust
    fwsmyemsot57.jpg
    Searching an installed 3rd party POI Category....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear
    Below is a Search around the Town of Ludlow for the Archie's Camping & Caravan POIs... The Icons are dynamic. The closer you zoom more icons appear

h9od09kbq9rb.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Trucker6250Trucker6250 Posts: 23 [Master Traveler]
    It's looking like time to get of tomtom since top of the range is worse than my old tomtom 5150 satnav
    POIs without custom image is a waste of time specially with the rubbish default poi pics
    Another matter, when I plan a route on my 6250, in my house it adds my house on my route, when I just want 5 stops and destination. So I travel to 1st stop from where ever I'm at. But my house always ends up 1st stop,how can I make routes in my house that work?
    edited November 7
    Can anyone help???
    Superusers
    edited November 8
    Hi
    @Trucker6250
    Another matter, when I plan a route on my 6250, in my house it adds my house on my route, when I just want 5 stops and destination. So I travel to 1st stop from where ever I'm at. But my house always ends up 1st stop, how can I make routes in my house that work?

Using the MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Planning a .ITN Route from your 1st Stop (Not Home)

(1)... Plan your .ITN Route... 1st Stop --> Destination
    (2)... Then add 2nd Stop --> 3rd Stop --> 4th Stop --> 5th Stop...
    (3)... Place a sacrificial stop close to the 1st Stop (Not your Home)
    (4)... Calculate the Route
    (5)... Click on the Send Stops ( Button )

When the .ITN Route has synced to the Trucker 6250 and the Route has calculated (The route will calculate from your present location i.e... Home)
    (6)... On the Trucker 6250... Zoom in on the 'Sacrificial Stop' Icon 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from the 'Sacrificial Stop' location
    (7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap Add

Maybe Useful....
    Click on the link below....
    Scroll down to my Workaround 'Using a Sacrificial Stop'
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1720215/#Comment_1720215

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I've done that before, if saved in my house, my first stop becomes my house everytime
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 226 [Exalted Navigator]
    Another matter, when I plan a route on my 6250, in my house it adds my house on my route, when I just want 5 stops and destination. So I travel to 1st stop from where ever I'm at. But my house always ends up 1st stop,how can I make routes in my house that work?

If I understand the question ;) , when you make your "first search or selection from MyPlaces" instead of selecting Drive, from search select Show on Map then hit the 3 ... and select Use as Starting point, (Same when selecting from My Places ) then add your subsequent stops as normal.

Hopefully that will work for you :) .
    It's getting to a point in going for another make of satnav as TomTom has went downhill and produce crap nowadays
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,582
    Superuser
    edited November 7
    Hi @Trucker6250

What @Lost_Soul has suggested is correct and is easy to do. Try the following.

Assuming you have 2 places in you My Places folder that you can use to create a route between in this example then you do the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap My Places
    Tap one of the My Places (not Home)
    It appears on the screen with a submenu where you can Tap Use as a Starting Point.
    now Tap Menu
    Tap My Places
    Tap your second choice.
    Tap Drive
    The TT unit now creates a route between the 2 places.
    You can continue to select places from My Drive or via search and when displayed on the screen you select Add to the current route thus making a route with a number of stops.
    [bD]O NOT Tap Drive at this point[/b] as the unit will create a route from where you are..
    Now the route is created with your first stop etc.
    Tap Menu
    Tap Current Route
    Tap Add to My Routes
    Save route.

Now when you want to use the route from wherever you are you go to My Routes on the unit and Select the saved route and when it is displayed Tap Drive and it will direct you from where you are to the first Stop. and on to the final destination. including interim stops if there are any.

Instead of using My Places you can use the usual Search option or even selecting places using the map. and as described above you have the same options available to select as a Starting Point or to be added to the current route.

By creating the route on th Truck unit it is an ITN file and so will offer Traffic data.

Doug
    I don't use my drive as I need time and distance between stops, mydrive doesn't do that as it creates tracks.
    I've always used first item as destination then add stops,sometimes re-order stops
    It still creates a route from house
    Got t to work, press drive once between starting point to destination then add stops, then save it to routes and no route planned from my house.
    edited November 8
    It works by selecting my places then starting point, click places selecting destination, click DRIVE (ONLY Once), then selecting places for additional stops, but never click drive, then save route.
    Works perfect!
    It would be great if I could save the routes created on device
    Superusers
    edited November 8
    Hi
    @Trucker6250
    Saving the Route....
    With a route planned
    Check the Direction of Travel pointer....
    (Above the + & - signs)

0lk1r8wc2qzv.png
    The Icon toggles the map view between the Driving & Planning views

The North-up overview planning Map
    The direction of travel pointer... is flatter more squat

e3rpb60l5sv0.jpg

Using the North-up overview planning Map
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the Route name as required or simply Tap 'Add'

Note... A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' (Tap & Hold for + 1 Second) on the screen gives different menu options

PS... I have edited my 1st post for clarity....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1732450/#Comment_1732450

Stay Safe,,, ATB YFM