TomTom Runner 2 battery issue — TomTom Community

TomTom Runner 2 battery issue

Hi. This is the first time I post here, so sorry if I'm making any mistake. I tried searching for similar posts but I couldn't find anything.
For the last couple of weeks the battery of my TomTom Runner 2 drains incredibly fast. Just using it, it would drain in less then a day. And if I try to go for a run, it won't last 5 minutes.
This happened to me once, a couple of years ago I think, but TomTom issued an update that sorted it out.
I already tried letting it fully discharge and charging it again, I tried a factory reset... Nothing seems to work.
The watch is upadated, running on software 1.7.64. I haven't changed anything, this started happening from one day to the next...
Any ideas on what may be causing it or how to fix it?
Thank you in advanced.

Comments

• davidamigodavidamigo Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I’ve just done another test, and after several hours charging, when the screen says it is fully charged, as soon as I disconnected it if I check the battery in the settings, it says that it is almost discharged... So I’m guessing that the problem is not that the battery drains too fast, it is that the battery doesn’t charge. Could it be from a damaged battery? And if that’s the problem, can it be solved?
    Thanks.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,676
    Superusers
    The battery is depleted, it is not a software issue. TT does not sell or replace them so you will need to get the tools to dismantle the watch yourself, figure out what battery it is, source one and install it yourself. Frankly, you are better off just getting a new watch. There are plenty of brands out there with better feature sets for less money these days.
    Thanks for the answer, tfarabaugh. I'll give it a try to change the battery, and if I screw up, I'll search for a new watch.
    Thanks.
    Hi there, tfarabaugh. I changed the battery, but now I have another issue... When I plug the watch, after a few seconds it shows fully charged. But as soon as I disconnect it, it turns off...
    I've tried both a factory reset and a factory reset from recovery mode, but nothing works.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your time.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,676
    Superusers
    davidamigo wrote: »
    Hi there, tfarabaugh. I changed the battery, but now I have another issue... When I plug the watch, after a few seconds it shows fully charged. But as soon as I disconnect it, it turns off...
    I've tried both a factory reset and a factory reset from recovery mode, but nothing works.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your time.

The battery is either dead on arrival or you installed it wrong. It shows charged while plugged in because it is not looking at the battery it is looking at the power coming from the wall. In reality the battery is not charging at all. This is a risk you take when you choose to replace it yourself. You are on your own at this point (which is why I suggest just buying a new watch rather than trying to repair an obsolete device).
    Ok, thanks. I’ll see what I can do.