Via 52 takes 15 minutes to startup and show maps from switch on — TomTom Community

Via 52 takes 15 minutes to startup and show maps from switch on

Can anyone help, this has been happening for a while now, it can take upwards of 15 minutes from jumping in the car and turning on the satnav till being able to see a working map, and then be able to access menus. By then I can be half way to my destination!

I've tried a full reset, and updating regularly, which hasn't helped. Frustrating that I need to use my phone to navigate until the satnav finally turns itself on and I can then use that instead. Not really working as it should.

I've had satnavs in the past that can take a minute to boot up but nothing like this.

Thanks

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,991
    Superusers
    Hi
    @StuM
    Welcome to the site....
    If your device is showing a small Satellite Dish at the top of the Traffic Bar your device has not synced with the GPS Satellites and their Clocks

d3c5q4pjl6sq.jpg
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh and Clears the on-board Memory Working Space....

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs
    Have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the First Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654017/#Comment_1654017

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • StuMStuM Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for the response. I don't have a satellite dish symbol on my device, see image.

0xejrivjxzjj.jpg

I always run it from a power supply in the car.

I've tried the soft reset a number of times, and have also done a factory reset prior to posting.

Thanks for the help.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,991
    Superusers
    edited November 5
    Hi
    @StuM
    Just a thought, have you got the Via 52 stuffed full of Maps ??? Check how much Free Memory there is for working space, 400MB is the bare Minimum for the device to operate correctly....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> About... Free Space....
    StuM wrote: »
    (Snip)I always run it from a power supply in the car (Snip)
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied USB Cable & Power adapter....
    A low battery charge state... Can cause Satellite 1st Fix problems....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM